JY Will
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I know how much you all love to share your ideas and opinions with us here at JY HQ! My colleague Julie is looking at our Christmas & New Year trips - I was telling her how great you all are with sharing your thoughts and so he asked me to post something up.

So...

what destinations are we missing?

which Xmas or NY hols have you loved?

would you be interested in more Xmas & NY combined trips?

plus anything else you would like to tell us!

Will

we're all ears!

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Will

I would LOVE to do a real snow with stunning scenery Christmas trip BUT my family won't allow it....SHAME!!!!

Cindy

JimS
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will,

I like the New York city break in the new brochure. How about a New Year city break to New York? That would be fantastic!

A couple of years ago I did a Xmas/New Year trip to Vietnam. Waking up on a junk in Halong bay on xmas morning was brilliant and the crowds outside our hotel in Saigon on New Year's Eve was amazing.

I would prefer more New Year holidays. I usually like to spend Xmas with the family but would rather go away for the New Year.

Regards

Jim

katy1717
(Member)
I did one of the UK Christmas breaks last year - Oxford. The accommodation was great and the staff at the hotel couldn't have been better. But, for me, I would have preferred to be in the centre of Oxford and be able to get out and about in Oxford easily - altho' I realise for some that doing nothing and eating etc is the aim. I think the Liverpool hotel in the centre of town that is being used for the NY trip would work better for me for a Christmas break - there is a lot in the centre of Liverpool. (Although, of course, on Christmas Day everything is shut and there may be closures/short opening on other days at Christmas.) Central hotels in large UK cities with lots to do would be my preferences.

I did think about doing a Christmas break this year and, despite loving Italy, didn't want the hassle of travelling there around Christmas. Also thought about Vietnam as I want to go there but decided I would prefer to leave this to February.

Think maybe a USA trip would be the only thing that could get me to book an overseas trip at Christmas - but when I have done the LBH trip next month and (I hope) the Chicago to New Orleans trip next year there will be no trips in the brochure that don't cover areas I have already visited or still want to do.

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Will

This is great news as I like to spend Christmas and New Year somewhere else and prefer to have something covering both. JY appears to have limited scope for both, so I'll put my thinking cap on.

Regards

Sylvia

sjm533
  • (Member)
(Member)
'JY wrote:

I know how much you all love to share your ideas and opinions with us here at JY HQ! My colleague Julie is looking at our Christmas & New Year trips - I was telling her how great you all are with sharing your thoughts and so he asked me to post something up.

So...

what destinations are we missing?

which Xmas or NY hols have you loved?

would you be interested in more Xmas & NY combined trips?

plus anything else you would like to tell us!

Will

we're all ears!

Hi Will,

I see you have a Christmas break in Edinburgh. But Edinburgh at Hogmanay is THE place to be. Perhaps this could be added, or the two combined.

Regards

Sylvia

Ebs
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will,

I think New Year in Edinburgh would be nice.

I also like the combined Christmas and New Year in New York(but that might be quite expensive opion).

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Will,

Agree with above comments about Hogmanay in Edinburgh instead of the Christmas trip.

Eric

Auntie D
(Member)
'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Will,

Agree with above comments about Hogmanay in Edinburgh instead of the Christmas trip.

Eric

Morning everyone, particularly Katy1717,

I was on the Lake Como Christmas break last year and had a brilliant time! The hotel, Grand Britannia Excelsior, is fantastic, the food was always good and the Christmas Day dinner commenced at 12 noon and was finally completed at 4.00pm!!! The reason for this was it was waiter service (rather than the usual buffet), 8 courses AND all guests at the hotel received a Christmas present from the English owner and his Italian wife. They had bought what was originally a family owned villa and have spent a fortune refurbishing it.

The all included trips, boat trip to Bellagio was lovely but the highlight was the St. Moritz & Bernina Express, indescribable travelling in the train through the mountains and all the snowfields.

However, if you have Richard Lord as your Tour Manager you will really strike lucky! I believe he's the best Tour Manager of all the 9 tours I've taken with JY!!!!

Good luck and good hunting for your perfect Christmas break.

Denise

;);):thumbup:

katy1717
(Member)
'Auntie wrote:

'the_baron1' wrote:

Hi Will,

Eric

Morning everyone, particularly Katy1717,

I was on the Lake Como Christmas break last year and had a brilliant time! The hotel, Grand Britannia Excelsior, is fantastic, the food was always good and the Christmas Day dinner commenced at 12 noon and was finally completed at 4.00pm!!! The reason for this was it was waiter service (rather than the usual buffet), 8 courses AND all guests at the hotel received a Christmas present from the English owner and his Italian wife. They had bought what was originally a family owned villa and have spent a fortune refurbishing it.

The all included trips, boat trip to Bellagio was lovely but the highlight was the St. Moritz & Bernina Express, indescribable travelling in the train through the mountains and all the snowfields.

However, if you have Richard Lord as your Tour Manager you will really strike lucky! I believe he's the best Tour Manager of all the 9 tours I've taken with JY!!!!

Good luck and good hunting for your perfect Christmas break.

Denise

;);):thumbup:

Thanks Denise. Lake Como sounds great. Its always good to hear comments from people who've been on the holidays, its the best way to find something you know you will like. On the 4 JY holidays I've done so far, I've always asked the other tour members about the other JY trips they've been on and what their opinions were to help me decide where to go next. (I was also on a trip with another organisation last month, a trip JY don't do, and a lot of the other tour group had also done JY holidays so got even more feedback there.) I'm off to LBH next month but may have another think about the Italy trips. Perhaps I should ask Julia who the tour manager is for Lake Como as everyone seems to recommend Richard Lord and I'm sure this will make a difference. There seem to be a few tour managers who get a very good report - the tour managers on my trips have all been OK, one was pretty good but the others so-so.

Katy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Will, good question! I can't go away at Christmas but always keep an interested eye out for the New Year destinations although I haven't done one as yet. To come at the topic from the opposite angle, I wish you would offer Morocco and Iceland at other times of the year! Would that be a possibility for a couple of years down the road?

All the best,

Bob

sim1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

I went on the Iceland New Year trip 2012/13 and loved it, as many have already mentioned, Christmas is for family, but I would like to see more New Year trips even if they are quite short, New York would be great for new year, even better if JY looked at many of the posts in various other parts of the community sites, and start to choose hotels nearer to the centre of the town, so for New York within waking distance of Time Square is a must.

The hotel in Iceland in the icy conditions was a good 20/30 minute walk from town.

Also you seem to offer a lot of trips in the UK for Christmas/ new year, could we have some further afield any of the major cities, Paris, Rome etc. and as I mentioned 5 days would be a plus with time off work and keeping the cost at a reasonable level.

Thanks

Julie L
(Member)
Anyone joining me in Hinckley for new year I went to Cheltenham last year
Poets muse
(Member)
I can't actually find a Xmas NY combo at the moment wanted the Far East but may have to look elsewhere:-(
Anna123
(Member)
I would love to go to South Africa over Christmas, but am considering Vietnam for 2014. When will all the 2014 christmas/new year trips be, published?
Mrs Elvira Brimblecombe
(Member)
Still awaiting if anyone has previously spent christmas at the Marriot Hotel Bournmouth as I have booked to go this year comments would be appreciated
valerie lund
(Member)
I did South African Experience over last Xmas and New Year. Both celebrations very low key which suited me as don't particularly enjoy this time of year. Going to Marrakech this Xmas. Which is really just a short trip. Would like to see more trips covering both Xmas and New Year.
Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Anna123' wrote:

I would love to go to South Africa over Christmas, but am considering Vietnam for 2014. When will all the 2014 christmas/new year trips be, published?

Hi Anna, the Christmas 2014 brochure will be published in April.

Thanks,

Tim

Skye
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've booked York for Christmas this year. I really don't want the hassle of going abroad at that time of year It was a toss-up between that and Liverpool at New Year. If Liverpool had been at Christmas, that would have been my first choice.

I went to Durham for Christmas last year, and it was lovely. It's a small city, and the hotel is central. Several of us walked up to the cathedral for midnight mass, it was the bishop's last service before taking over as Archbishop of Canterbury, and the cathedral was packed. It was so beautiful.

Full of Life
(Member)
I had been looking at the New Year package in the Warwick area as that is fairly close to me (I am always aware of the problems of travelling when snow could be on the roads!) ......... and I see that it has been taken off 😞 Is that because it is fully booked?

Sue