sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Has anyone used National Express to transfer between Heathrow and Gatwick airports?  If so I would be interested to hear how you got on.  Did it work OK, were the coaches on time (or near to it), do the drivers help with luggage, etc?

Any comments would be welcome, have not done a transfer before but may have to next time.

Thanks

Sylvia

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I haven't done Heathrow to Gatwick but have used Shrewsbury to Heathrow many times and they are generally on time and drivers do help put suitcases in the luggage compartment.  You have to manage hand luggage yourself.

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I do the Gatwick/ Heathrow hop quite regularly as you can't fly directly to Heathrow from Jersey (where I live). It's a very reliable service.

National Express is very regular and, depending on the time of day you are travelling and allowing for hold ups on the M25, usually takes about an hour and 15 (also depending on which terminals you are picking up and dropping off at).

It's easiest to book online (and cheaper) than at the airport itself and you can get a changeable ticket for no extra cost in case your flight is early/late and you need to travel at a different time. The number of the bus you have booked will be printed on your ticket and will also appear on the information board listing the stand/bus stop number it will be parked, so you don't need to worry about getting on the wrong one. The destination listed on the front of the bus probably won't say Gatwick or Heathrow because they usually go on elsewhere, such as Birmingham or the South of England, rather than just shuttling between the airports.

Yes, the drivers will load and unload your luggage for you and are usually pretty friendly and helpful. (Unless there's a jam on the M25!)

All the best

Mandy

Barb W
(Member)
Hi Sylvia

I tried this last year when travelling to Italy, it was very easy. The coach was on time & dropped off at the North Terminal, the driver loaded & unloaded the luggage it was hassle free

Regards

Barb

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Syliva

I have not used National Express between the airports, but have used it from Luton to get to the airports. The drivers always help you with your luggage - i.e. loading and unloading from the hold. Most of the times, the coaches have been on time apart from one occasion and the driver did not tell us why he was late. I always book an earlier coach to allow for any hold ups.

Regards

Jaya

sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
AELB and BarbW

Thank you for this information.  I have to fly into Heathrow but want to go on a tour from Gatwick, and wondered what the transfer would be like.  Very reassured by your responses.

Jonah and Jaya

Thank you also. 

Have never used National Express before so it is another new experience!

Very glad to know the driver will help with luggage.

Sylvia

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you for this information. As a family travelling to Vienna from Heathrow for the Christmas Markets, it turns out after my daughter booked it, we fly back into Gatwick 😃 As there are 3 of us, would it be cheaper to get a pre booked taxi to take us back?

Jan

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

Thank you for this information. As a family travelling to Vienna from Heathrow for the Christmas Markets, it turns out after my daughter booked it, we fly back into Gatwick 😃 As there are 3 of us, would it be cheaper to get a pre booked taxi to take us back?

Jan

Jan

You might need to get a couple of quotes from local taxi firms and then look at the national express fares to find what the difference will be..

Cindy

Barb W
(Member)
Yes I would say it would be cheaper to share a taxi, unless you all have coach cards.

Barb

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jan

A single on the National Express is around £20. (if you book on line in advance)

Most of the taxi firms (for example, Road Runner UK who I've used in the past an can be booked on line) charge between £60-80 depending on the size of the car you need (I think it's about £60 for a basic saloon and up to 4 people with a maximum of 2 suitcases). So in your case, it may be cheaper to book a car.

All the best

Mandy

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello All,

Thank you all for the information. Shall have to see which terminal we fly back into for a proper quote on the National Coach.

Jan