Julia
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Having just returned from my very own Peruvian adventure (yes, with Just You) I thought I would share some traveller hints and tips rather than write a review. Please note that details are based on an early October departure, correct at the time of writing (Oct 2016) and these are my own thoughts and not those of Just You….

What is the Currency?

The official currency of Peru is the Sol and you should make sure that you carry some of this with you. I was a little disorganised going into this holiday and took my currency in US dollars. US dollars are easier to exchange into the local currency than sterling and in some hotels, restaurants and even on some markets, US dollars are accepted. If you do prefer to pay in dollars, always make sure you check before ordering rather than simply assume - just in case you venture somewhere that only accepts Peruvian Sol.

What do things cost?

Let me tell you! You can get a beer for s/10 (approx. £2.50), wine for about s/18 (approx. £4.50) a soft drink for s/6 (approx. £1.50) and water for between s/2-s/9 depending on where you buy it (approx. £0.50 - £2.25). Meals can vary from a light-bite/starter at s/20 to mains from s/30-s/60 (£7.50-£15). I took about £250 and that covered those meals and refreshments that were not included, plenty of souvenirs and sweets for those here at JYHQ.

One tip is to barter at the markets. When looking for that perfect souvenir, haggle for a better price and don’t hesitate to walk away and head over to another stall. We were advised that you should aim to pay on average 80% of the asking price. In some cases you won’t get this, in others you can pay a lot less.

What plug adaptor should I pack?

I took a worldwide universal plug adaptor and this was fine throughout my stay.

What about altitude sickness?

The altitude affects different people in different ways – it doesn’t matter how fit you are, how old you are or whether you are a man or a woman. You are venturing up to 14,000ft at one point in this holiday and the itinerary has been designed to gently acclimatise you to the altitude with you having the highest point towards the end of your trip however there are a few things that may help while you are away.

a.       Drink plenty – you should be drinking about 2.5-3 litres of water a day (in the first half of the holiday I found this still wasn’t enough and was supplementing this with ½ a rehydration sachet each morning).

b.      Coca tea – this is available in the lobby of hotels at altitude and worth having a cup or two. Try not to have more than 5 cups a day and avoid after 8pm (you may have funny dreams). I had a couple of cups while I was there and took mine with sugar.

c.       Bananas &/or chocolate – believe it or not these two foods help! They make great snacks while you are away and are high up to alleviate any altitude symptoms (subject to your own dietary restrictions)

d.      Headache tablets – take your favourite headache relieving medication, you may find you have a mild headache and these will ease any uncomfortableness.

e.      Take it easy! – There is less oxygen at altitude so you may find doing things take more effort and you find yourself a little breathless. Don’t rush around, walk at a slower pace than normal and just relax. To be fair, you’re on holiday and there’s no better time to take it easy than when you are away. Don’t worry – oxygen is on hand at the hotels and in the coach should you need it.

f.        Eat light – digestion is little slower at altitude and you might find that a hearty Alpaca steak on your first night in Cusco isn’t as appreciated as it might be. That said, the food is rather nice and there is plenty of variety and something for everyone.

What sun protection did you pack?

You are close to the equator so make sure you pack a high factor sunscreen (I took factor 50), a hat, and mozzie repellent (needed on a couple of days). If you are going into the Amazon, I would suggest you talk to your practice nurse as to whether or not you need any anti-malarial tablets.

Any other tips?

Turn the camera off – some of the sights you will see are incredible and while you’ll want to snap away to try and capture it all on camera, remember to take some time to just stop and take it all in. Some of the places you visit will simply take your breath away and I love thinking back to how I felt as much as what I saw on this trip.

Take a plastic bag (sandwich bag sort of size) – we had a short “shower” at Machu Picchu – sadly my waterproof rucksack wasn’t as waterproof as I’d have liked and anything paper related (which included my passport) got rather damp. Put any important documents in this bag to protect them should you get caught out with an impromptu downpour.

Walking sticks – the steps on the older sites are uneven some of our group had packed a walking/hiking stick to bring along, if you do choose to pack one (which isn’t essential), you will need to bring the rubber plug to cover the spike.

Shoes with a good tread – trainers are fine and I took my walking sandals which were also perfectly suitable. You won’t need these everyday but on Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley optional excursion day, these are better for the grip in case there is a bit of rain.

It is colder in the Andes than in Lima - pack comfortable, lightweight clothes that you can easily layer along with a jumper or two and a waterproof anorak.

And finally…..

Enjoy it! – I shouldn’t need to remind you to enjoy your holiday but I thought I would add it to the list anyway. There are some great highlights on the tour of Peru and I keep thinking about it and smiling.

I hope these tips help with you if you are travelling to Peru in the near future!

I genuinely hope you enjoy your trip to Peru as much as I did!

All the best

Julia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia,

Many thanks for all these great tips - I'm delighted you had such a great time in Peru.  It has been on my wish list for as long as I've had one - and I'm hoping that the new Contrasts of South America tour will still be on offer in 2018 (which, of course, includes Peru) as I'd love to do it then!

All the best,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Julia

Great tips and information, I hope you had a great tour and you had fun!

Cindy

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia.

Welcome back and I am glad you enjoyed your holiday.  Some very useful tips here and I think the one about turning off your camera is relevant to any holiday.  This is something I have been conscious of lately - having come late to travelling abroad my first reaction was to snap absolutely everything but you do miss enjoying the moment if you are constantly behind the camera and when you get home sometimes the photos don't truly capture the wonder of what you are seeing, It is lovely to have a record and some of the sights you will want to share with others but it is just as important to 'stand and stare'

Best wishes

Ceri-38
(Member)
Hi Julia

I am going to Peru in November so these tips are really helpful

It sounds like you had a wonderful time

Ceri

AbbaDave
(Member)
Hi Julia

some great tips there and is very accurate having done this trip with TS in 2014

I really loved Peru all the way from Lima to Cusco, marvellous

all the best

Dave

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia

Peru is one destination which I would love to visit one of these days. Did you do the Amazon add-on? Hopefully I will be able to 'squeeze' this trip within the next couple of years.

Jaya

Julia
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya,

I would thoroughly recommend Peru - it was a destination I had always wanted to visit and I'm so pleased I went. Sadly I didn't stay for the Amazon add-on, I can't keep myself away from the community for that long!

Kindest regards,

Julia

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Julia

Shame you could not do the Amazon add-on. I have been studying the new brochure and now can't decide if I want to do just the Peru with Amazon Add-on or the new 'Contrasts of South America' Making a decision where to go next is also getting harder with new holidays being introduced. Wish I could afford to take a year off to travel and then hopefully I might catch up!

Regards

Jaya