Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Where do you meet fellow travellers at the start of the holiday?

If you stay at an airport hotel the night before, through this forum a number of travellers arrange to meet up in a pub etc. for a meal and chat.

So what do you do if you are not confident of travelling on your own?

Firstly when you arrive at the airport you will soon spot the Just You rep and if you are unsure, wait with them until a fellow traveller arrives to check in. Failing that after going through Customs you might spot a JY label amongst the many hundreds in the shopping and eating areas if you are lucky!!

One of the best ways to meet up with fellow travellers is the airport lounge where the numbers are no more than 100, so it is easy to spot the Just You labels. However, your holiday may depart from an airport terminal that does not have these lounges.

Still not seen a JY label, then it will be either at the departure gate area or on the aircraft hopefully in a seat near you.

I know last year on the ‘Texas & New Orleans’ tour, I met up with some others in the lounge at Heathrow’s Terminal 3 and this year for the ‘Florida’ tour (by the way a great holiday and recommended) I met up with others in the lounge at Gatwick’s North terminal.

Next month I shall be at Heathrow's Terminal 5 for ‘Canada & New England in the Fall’ where there is no lounge, so I will be JY label spotting!!

Anyone else with more suggestions?

Malcolm

AbbaDave
(Member)
nice little story there Malcolm

last year when we went to Australia the JY rep at Heathrow term 5 picked us out, it was our Tour Manager who was awol; he never showed until Singapore and our party met up in dribs and drabs, at check in is the best as those on your tour soon become lost in a big airport until they turn up at the check in and not everyone bothers to put their JY label on their hand luggage, I know one of our group saw no one until OZ even on the plane and I guess some people though on their own like to have time to browse round the airport first before the flight, have a pint, meal, shop etc

I will soon myself be JY label spotting on my trip to Peru

enjoy Canada & NE

Dave

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Malcolm,

With other companies I have used, there has always been a rep that traveled with the group on the holiday. So there was always places arranged to meet up, usually by check in or at a restaurant after security. This worked really well as you were told on your final papers what time to arrive at the airport and where to meet. If you wanted to go off and do your own thing, you could, you just let the rep know and they would tick you off the list.

Unfortunately JY don't operate like this, but that said, they could always suggest a meeting place on the final documentation, so that people who were not confident travelling on their own knew that if they went to this area - they would meet other travellers in the group.

On my first holiday with JY last year, I never saw a rep at the check-in desk, and I only bumped into another traveller 5 mins before the gate was opened. Whilst I am quite a confident traveller I would have much preferred to have had a place organised where I could meet my fellow travellers - perhaps this is something JY could think about going forward.

Kind Regards

Kerry

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
It doesn't bother me not to meet people before I get to the final destination as I am used to airports, I also am not good at flying although I travel the world, so I need some quiet space!!!..I can understand for those that are worried apprehensive etc.

My suggestion would be labels as stated on hand luggage, also when you go to the book in desk where a JY rep should be, once booked in wait with the JY rep until another person on your tour books in and go through together.

Also it does take someone to make the first move if a label is spotted, don't always think someone has to talk to you be brave and say hello.

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member)
I pretty much agree with Cindy to be honest. It doesn't bother me that much if I don't meet up with anyone pre departure but I can totally understand any newbies perhaps being nervous.

I think it has helped (and I hope this IS happening) that there is now a JY rep at every departure airport. I remember the second time I went to Cilento there were only 5 of us travelling from Stansted with no rep at the airport. We didn't meet our TM until 9pm that night because he travelled in with the main group from Gatwick. Also going back we had no help at Naples and had to manage for ourselves. I know that has been rectified now.

I've only twice travelled our and back with a TM and this time I am going to wait at Birmingham Airport with the rep until another JY'er comes through to check in as I don't know the airport at all and it might also help them! :thumbup:

Haggis
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm off on my first trip with JY on the 19th of October on the ultimate polar bear experience. After reading through the comments I will be sure to attach my JY labels and look out for my fellow travellers. Thanks for the advice.

Haggis

sookie222
(Member)
When I went to Americas Golden West with JY we were all told to meet at Heathrow, Terminal 5, Zone D. When I eventually realised what a Zone was it was easy - all the JY labels came together under the giant 'D' like magnets! There were two tours going out that day, the other to Route 66, so everyone was mingling asking each other which trip they were on which sort of broke the ice and then we just started talking about other things, felt really relaxed and friendly. Sue