cat.b
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Never traveled alone before.Have been looking at city break to Rome.Has any body been .
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello and Welcome Cat.b

I have not been on this tour, but I have my 10th JY tour planned, You are in very safe hands travelling with JY well looked after, great tours and people to meet along the way, if I can help you with anything else just ask.

Cindy

cat.b
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the reply Nixon. Can i ask do they meet you at the airport you are living from and how do you know where to find them..
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
cat.b

There is a representative from JY who helps you with the check in procedure at the airport you are leaving from. So they will be at the airline desk to help you through that part, then depending on what sort of tour your on. On some of the long haul tours you get an executive lounge pass that you can use, if the rep/manager is travelling out with you they often hang around in there to introduce themselves, if you don't have the use of the airport executive lounge, i.e. Short haul then you might not spot the rep/manager till you land, or the tour rep/manager might meet you at the destination airport. Julia on the editors board might be able to say if they are travelling out with you or if they will meet you there, that's when you know what tour and date your departing.

I have also had no reps/managers on a flight from England and they live in the country I have visited, that happened on Austrian Lakes and Highlights of Tuscany, likewise I have been on tours when the rep/manager does not fly back with the group. More often than not the rep/manager has flown out and come back with the tour group. It really does work out OK so please do not worry. Just put your JY labels on your hand luggage/handbag and people will spot them, likewise if you spot a JY labels go and introduce yourself, this is one way of getting to know people.

If you have any more questions just ask.

Cindy

cat.b
(Member) (Topic Starter)
hi Cindy thanks for the help

catherine

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Catherine

I've just got back from the Rome city break. There were 25 of us, about two thirds ladies and ages ranging from mid 20s to 81. We had a super time - a really great group that all got on as if we'd known each other for years. I've done several JY tours and please be assured that it has been the same on all of them. Everyone looks out for each other and you soon make friends (if you want to - there is no pressure to mix if you'd rather spend time on your own).

The trip was a typically busy JY break but several of the tours were optional so you can do as much or as little as you wish. We had a brilliant local guide for our panoramic and walking tours around the city and another for the visit to the Vatican (a tour highlight for many of the group). We also had our lovely Tour Manager, Sandra, who (like all JY TMs) couldn't do enough for us and took care of all the logistics so that we could just relax and enjoy it. If you are still undecided, I would simply say go for it - it's a great choice for a first trip and will give you the confidence to go further afield in future.

Just a couple of tips - make sure you take some very comfy shoes because you will be doing a lot of walking, especially on cobbles. If you like a hot drink, take a little travel kettle because the Hotel doesn't have tea/coffee facilities in the rooms or downstairs until after 6pm. It is also a little way out of the city centre but, if you don't want to use the metro, a taxi back from the main sights costs about 20 Euros but it's not too bad if you get together with a couple of your new found friends.

Happy to help if you have any other questions - take a deep breath and book - you won't regret it!

All the best

Mandy

Oldertraveller
(Member)
Hi Cindy, What is the age range on these trips ? I am looking to go to the West coast of America and am very apprehensive that I may not fit in. When I've been on similar trips with my husband it was a lot easier as you have always got someone there that knows you. I know that I am being a bit silly but anyway, is it easy to fit in and are all age groups catered for?

Regards, Older Traveller.

cat.b
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Mandy

I'm glad you enjoyed Rome. I have now booked and looking forward to it. Thanks for the tips . I will have to get a kettle.

Catherine

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Oldertraveller' wrote:

Hi Cindy, What is the age range on these trips ? I am looking to go to the West coast of America and am very apprehensive that I may not fit in. When I've been on similar trips with my husband it was a lot easier as you have always got someone there that knows you. I know that I am being a bit silly but anyway, is it easy to fit in and are all age groups catered for?

Hello Older traveller

Having no idea of your age!!! Ha ha ..it can depend on what sort of tour you have your eye on, I have been far and wide with JY started travelling in 2006 with them I am now 55...and have my 10th tour booked..OK age question! I will start of by saying age really is just a number some people are old at 30 while others are young at 80, I might just fall in the mid range age but I am not blessed with fitness, young and old mix well together, main age group 55-70 I would say with younger and older either side, if you have a tour and date in mind post on the editors board and Julia might be able to give you the age range or the lovely people in the phones in the office will help you. If you have any other questions just ask, and Godd luck ..

Cindy

Inzaghi9
(Member)
Hi.

I have been looking at my first JY holiday experience in either America or Italy.

I am quite anxious about the age, although it's something that I could potentially enjoy. I am in my mid 20s.

Also, when I was intending to book it and phoned up to enquire...let's just say the woman on the other end was very unprofessional when I told her my age. Because of that, I kind of have in my head that this feeling of judgement could be there throughout the holiday.

It's something I really want to do, and any reassurance / personal stories would be very helpful.

Thanks

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Inzaghi9,

I was a little surprised to read about your call with one of our Holiday Advisors. I'm sorry that you felt they were unprofessional and I wanted to let you know that I have forwarded this message on to our Contact Centre Manager.

When it comes to reassurance and Just You travel experiences, I'll leave our members to share their stories with you - who better to give you an honest and open review of our holidays than our customers.

If you do have any questions about a particular tour, please ask - whether you address them to me in the "Ask Your Editor" section or to past travellers in the "Say Hello to Other Single Travellers" section we'll answer as best we can.

Warmest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Inzaghi9' wrote:

Hi.

I have been looking at my first JY holiday experience in either America or Italy.

I am quite anxious about the age, although it's something that I could potentially enjoy. I am in my mid 20s.

Also, when I was intending to book it and phoned up to enquire...let's just say the woman on the other end was very unprofessional when I told her my age. Because of that, I kind of have in my head that this feeling of judgement could be there throughout the holiday.

It's something I really want to do, and any reassurance / personal stories would be very helpful.

Thanks

Hello and welcome

I hope one of the younger people who travel with JY pick up on your posting. As a 55 year old who has been travelling with JY since 2006, and I have my 10th tour booked, I have come across all the age ranges there are older middle and young, and on all the tours age has never been a problem, sometimes health has. I would say I forget the age and I just focus on the holiday, that's what I am going for initially the people I meet along the way are a bonus, I have laughed, seen so much, experienced new things white water rafting, helicopter flights, scenery that has moved me to tears etc..I have listened to people's amazing life stories, and held people's hands along the way. I have my 5th USA tour booked so if I can answer any question you may have then please just ask.

Great value for money, safe way of travelling, you see and do so much, meet nice people, have fun and a laugh, and see great sights. What more can you ask for, my advice if there's a tour you like the look of book it, give it a go. if it's not for you then don't go again, but you most probably will be like the rest of us, come back home and book another...

Cindy

TGRAN
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Inzaghi9' wrote:

Hi.

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to read about your experience, I've always had an excellent advisor , even have a

bit of a laugh.

Hope it hasn't put you off bookimg with JY. The holidays I've been on were

very good and I'm booked for New England & Canada in the Fall

next September.

The tour managers are extremely helpful and make the trips interesting

and fun.

Regards

Trish G

HI Inzaghi9

I have never experienced an unprofessions

Hi In

sallyc
(Member)
I guess a lot of it comes down to your own perceptions and attitudes to age. If you mix well with people of every age, then it won't be a problem. I started doing these trips at 31 (12 years ago now) and although sometimes I have been the youngest it really doesn't seem to be an issue. Most people on the trips are young at heart with a spirit for adventure looking to have fun whilst they travel - thats why we use Just You.

Like Cindy says, JY gives you a chance to experience amazing things around the world in a safe environment with someone else looking after you and making sure the holiday runs smoothly. Give it a go - what have you got to lose?

Alison O
(Member)
I've just got back from the classic cities of Italy tour and was one of the youngest. It wasn't a problem. There were about 4 of the group in their 20's and 30's and a split of about 50/50 men to women which i believe is a bit unusual. While i found i did join up with the younger members of the group a gentleman of 79 used to regularly join us on the excursions and nights out (as did the rest of the group). Don't worry about age, you'll have a brilliant time. After 2 days you'll feel like you've known each other for ever!!.
Mary Beverley
(Member)
'Oldertraveller' wrote:

Dear Older Traveller. I have just returned from the USA National Parks trip. A very wide age range, from mid 30's to 84! Most people were between 50 and 70 I would say at a guess.

Mary