Endacksi@aol.com
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am going on the National Parks trip to the USA in September and would like an idea of how much to budget daily for food and drinks. ( Including alcohol). The staff at Just You don't seem to know!
Puer aeternus
(Member)
Hi Endacksi, well, that would depend to a large extent on how much you like to eat and drink!

If your anything like me, you'll need a BIG budget. sort your beer budget out first, then you can see what's left for food. :thumbup:

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Have a look and see what meal if any are included in the tour, then count up the lunches and evening meals, if you have not been to the USA before can I just say, they do LARGE portions so if your like me 1 main meal a day is ample. Also many place do refill soft drinks at no extra charge...so if your like me that's a bonus. I would suggest you just budget for what you would pay here..you might also find you could split one meal between two people I have done that before on a tour as well.

I am not sure if that helps you at all, I try to take what money I can and a credit card, inform the company you might be using it abroad. I have not been on this tour I hope you have fun.

Cindy

Hayles
  • (Member)
(Member)
I took £1,500 and got through it! Haha
Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Things to remember are :-

Are you going to be paying for any of the excursions in dollars while there ?

What gifts.souveniers do you intend to bring back ?

On top of that I work on around $100 per day but I'll add that includes all meals and believe breakfasts are included so maybe $85.

Sort of around $20 for lunch/coffees, etc

That leaves $65 for evening meal and entertainment, I'll add a like to have a drink on a night and also go to any live music/entertainment that i can so often includes a cover charge. Of course eating can vary from a bar or cafe (maybe $15/$20) to nice restaurant with wine ($40/$50 or more). I'm including tips and tax in my estimates.

Penfold
(Member)
I must be a cheap skate.. I generally take about £700 for a week in the states (I've been to san. fran/washington/san deigo/new orleans/ new york/boston/chicago!).

I have a US money card that I got from the post office which i charge up over the year and spend that. its a master card and accepted everywhere. I've found eating out is cheap, alcohol not so cheap but depends what you want. but if you planning trips etc, then its going to cost more. I've not been on a tour as put on by JY.. I tend to go on with my best friend and we please ourselves. that said, I'm probably going to to route 66 next year with JY..

have fun!

Guitarlady
(Member)
Hello there, I took £800 pounds worth of dollars to Texas and came back with £250 10 day holiday.
steveoakley21
(Member)
'Endacksi@aol.com' wrote:

I am going on the National Parks trip to the USA in September and would like an idea of how much to budget daily for food and drinks. ( Including alcohol). The staff at Just You don't seem to know!

Hi, taking cash, traveller's cheques etc. is often not advisable in large amounts. I always use a Caxton card. In effect, this is a preloaded debit card which you can preload in the UK in Sterling, use in ATMs abroad without any ATM charges and can then easily download back to your bank account any balance on the card on your return.

For America, I would advise that you take an initial $250 for taxis, meals, and especially, tips. America is a lovely place with largely honest and friendly people but the attitude to tipping is very overt, it is often expected and can be embarrassing and daunting if you have not encountered:)

it before but don't let this put you off going.

Steve

Julie L
(Member)
Anyone going on the September 17th trip to Canada &New England in the Fall? If so where are you staying at heathrow airport, I've found a holiday inn for £ 72 approx