AnnF
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Does anyone have any tips for combating jet lag? I haven't travelled more than +/- 3 hours GMT/BST for more years than I care to remember and when the clocks change to or from BST each year it takes me a week to adjust!

I'm going to Canada in June, finishing up in Vancouver where the time is 8 hours behind the UK, and getting back to London at about 0500 Vancouver time but 1300 in the UK. Is there anything I can do to avoid being a zombie? Obviously I can't hibernate for a week!

I know that there will be others out there who have had to cope with a similar situation, so I (and, I suspect, many others) would love to know what you did or didn't do.

Ann

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Returning from North America is always worse than going the other way. The tendancy is to catch a nap when you get home however that isn't a good idea because then you dont sleep properly at night and your body fails to adjust.

I find it best to try stay awake, keep myself busy (plenty of washing, download photos, etc) and go to bed at normal time or as near as possible. Its not easy staying awake all day but i find it does help adjust back to UK time.

Mick

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
As soon as you get on the plane, set your watch to the time of your destination. Avoid drinking alcohol (sorry!), and tea or coffee. During the flight, sleep when you can (something I'm never able to do). When you get home, try and stay awake. Getting the food shopping done, putting the washing on, catching up with your post etc all helps. If you have a nap often you feel worse for it. Then go to bed only slightly earlier than normal. I also take an extra couple of days off from work to help get back into the routine.

Hope this helps.

Sally

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ann, the first time I went on a long haul flight I did suffer a bit, but not really since. In fact, I've just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia, which took 36 hours continuous travelling! I live in south-east Ireland, so had further to travel than most. However, after three flights and two lengthy stopovers (eight hours in Kuala Lumpur airport!), I was still fresh enough for the three hour drive home from Belfast to Wexford. I don't have any magic solutions, but this is what I do:

Before the holiday, I get a couple of early nights so I'm well rested before the holiday begins (even if work has been hectic, I try to organise myself so there is no last minute panic and I start to pack a couple of days before I leave).

Whilst on the plane, I watch a film and have a couple of glasses of wine and try to get as comfy as possible and sleep as much as I'm able (same on the way back).

As soon as I'm aboard the plane, I change my watch to the new time zone (same on the way back).

Once there, I just adapt to the new time and go to bed at a normal time. Especially on the first few days of the holiday, and again on the last few days, I make sure I don't have any late nights. When I get home I do the same and eat, sleep etc at the normal times - so basically all I'm saying is, just try to rest on the journey when you get the chance and "ignore" the time changes by doing what is appropriate to whatever time zone you're in. Over the last couple of years, I've travelled long haul to north and south America, Africa and Asia and have not had any serious problems.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Ariya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I've been worrying a bit about this too. Going to Hawaii in October (10 hours behind) and it will be my first long haul trip. I take a week to adjust to daylight savings too. can do the staying up later, it's the getting up at 6 for work instead of 7 that gets me.

From what I've found out the best way to get over jet lag is just to sleep and get up when you would normally in your current time and eat meals at normal times, especially make sure you have breakfast when you get up. Try to avoid napping or using caffine to stay awake as it will just make it harder to sleep deeply at bedtime. Make sure to drink plenty on the plane as dehydration can make you feel tired too and planes have a much lower humidity than normal rooms. Also if you feel tired when you get home try going for a walk out in the sun (if there is any, this Britain afterall!) as sunlight plays a big part in regulating your internal clock and exercise is always good for waking you up.

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
'AnnF' wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for combating jet lag? I haven't travelled more than +/- 3 hours GMT/BST for more years than I care to remember and when the clocks change to or from BST each year it takes me a week to adjust!

I'm going to Canada in June, finishing up in Vancouver where the time is 8 hours behind the UK, and getting back to London at about 0500 Vancouver time but 1300 in the UK. Is there anything I can do to avoid being a zombie? Obviously I can't hibernate for a week!

I know that there will be others out there who have had to cope with a similar situation, so I (and, I suspect, many others) would love to know what you did or didn't do.

Ann

Hi Ann,

Having just come back from Vietnam and Cambodia (13 hour flight back!), I always change my watch as soon as I get on the plane to the time of the destination country, and do try and stay up as long as possible when I get home.

Cheers,

Hils

Auntie D
(Member)
'AnnF' wrote:

Ann

:huh::(

Ann,

One of the best ways it to turn your watch to the local time of where you are travelling to. Then, if your watch says 1.00 am - time to catch a nap, I'm talking about on board the flight obviously not when you've actually arrived at your destination!!!!

Best of luck!!

:thumbup:

Denise

linpurdy
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Ann, the first time I went on a long haul flight I did suffer a bit, but not really since. In fact, I've just returned from Vietnam and Cambodia, which took 36 hours continuous travelling! I live in south-east Ireland, so had further to travel than most. However, after three flights and two lengthy stopovers (eight hours in Kuala Lumpur airport!), I was still fresh enough for the three hour drive home from Belfast to Wexford. I don't have any magic solutions, but this is what I do:

Before the holiday, I get a couple of early nights so I'm well rested before the holiday begins (even if work has been hectic, I try to organise myself so there is no last minute panic and I start to pack a couple of days before I leave).

Whilst on the plane, I watch a film and have a couple of glasses of wine and try to get as comfy as possible and sleep as much as I'm able (same on the way back).

As soon as I'm aboard the plane, I change my watch to the new time zone (same on the way back).

Once there, I just adapt to the new time and go to bed at a normal time. Especially on the first few days of the holiday, and again on the last few days, I make sure I don't have any late nights. When I get home I do the same and eat, sleep etc at the normal times - so basically all I'm saying is, just try to rest on the journey when you get the chance and "ignore" the time changes by doing what is appropriate to whatever time zone you're in. Over the last couple of years, I've travelled long haul to north and south America, Africa and Asia and have not had any serious problems.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the jet lag tips and the excellent review of your Vietnam & Cambodia holiday. Looking forward to my holiday there 3rd April.

Lin

AnnF
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Sorry, Bob and everyone, I should have said "thank you" before now for all the advice. I'm a bit daunted by the thought of keeping awake at my destination until it is "their" bedtime - I think I shall have to use matchsticks to keep my eyes open!

Ann

Mike21
  • (Member)
(Member)
Sadly I have just come across this thread after (probably) AnnF has already left for her trip to Vancouver.

However, just in case she reads this when she returns, and for any other’s benefit – though reluctantly differing from a couple of earlier advisors – I travelled frequently to Iowa then Florida twice a year from 2000 until 2005. Following the advice I was given by “She Who Knows Everything”!, on my return to the UK, I would go to bed in the afternoon for no more than 2 hours or so then back to bed at my usual time of 11pm–midnight, sleeping until I woke up again.

Miraculously, the next day: sorted. On the outward journey, it was similar but arriving early evening most times so got to bed earlyish, I would collapse mid-afternoon the next day and would need a kip, again from about 2–4pm EST.

PS: I rarely slept on the aircraft either way.

PPS: I look forward to seeing if this all works for me in the opposite direction as I face a 12-hour flight and a similar time-difference when I fly to China on 9 October! 😞

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
JET LAG.....what a drag...but the price we pay for going on great holidays...

i have recently returned from the Florida tour....I did go to sleep at night on the holiday but I was always up and running!!!! By at the latest 05.00am....so this made for very long days...but I was never late for breakfast...

Coming home we landed at LGW at 06.30am I stayed awake till 21.00 when I crashed out till 08.00am....I did take about 3 days to get back to normal...

Tips

Put your watch on the new time zone as soon as you get on the plane...

Try!!!!!!! To sleep on the plane....

DO NOT go to sleep in the day when you come home keep going all day..if you can't then set an alarm to wake you 90-120 minutes later.....

Cindy

Mike21
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Tips

Put your watch on the new time zone as soon as you get on the plane...

Try!!!!!!! To sleep on the plane....

DO NOT go to sleep in the day when you come home keep going all day..if you can't then set an alarm to wake you 90-120 minutes later.....

Cindy

Don’t you make a case out yourself for trying my solution then Cindy – which you you so strongly advise against in your final tip?

After all, you say it took you three days to get back to normal. With my afternoon doze – and I agree an alarm-clock is essential to limit your sleep to about 2 hours if one has no-one around to waken you – I achieved that within 24-36 hours!

So I reiterate my tip! 🙂 DO TRY IT!!

AbbaDave
(Member)
Thanks Cindy for the tips I shall set my watch to Singapore/Perth time as soon as I get on the plane when go to Aus in Nov and hopefully after a tinnie on board I shall drift off into the land of nod with my ipod on lol, same on return we land at 5.10am and i'm not expecting to get home till 4 and lugging all that luggage from post to post will sure keep the body awake lol
nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mike21

I was just saying I DON'T sleep in the day when I come home....

I do know people who do but like you they set a time limit on how long they sleep.

Cindy

Puer aeternus
(Member)
I find the easiest way to get over jet lag is to have snooze when I'm back at my desk......
SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

Having just returned from the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver trip where the flight was 9 hours and the time difference -8 I have never felt so tired and wanted to sleep at inappropriate moments! I have tried all the suggestions in this post but sadly none have worked as I'm still exhausted. Seasoned travellers inform me that it will take a week for the body to re-adjust. I'm considering Cuba next year and will be going for an upgrade hoping it will be better, I don't remember feeling this bad when on the HK/NZ trip!

Sylvia

AnnF
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I know exactly how you are feeling, Sylvia. I started this thread way back in preparation for my trip to Canada in June and, despite everyone's good advice, it was about a week after I got back that I suddenly realised I felt "normal" again. I had mentioned all the suggestions to my hairdresser, who it turns out used to be a flight purser with Emirates, and she raised her eyebrows somewhat! Her advice was simply to "go with your body - if you feel like dozing or sleeping do so, provided of course that it's not somewhere totally inappropriate!".

Ann

SylviaJ
(Member)
Ann

My neighbour is a pilot and he said sometimes its like being ill and one needs to take time out - he's forgotten what its like to have a normal sleep pattern after 25 years long haul. This and your comments makes me feel heaps better and I wished I had gone with my body on return and not tried to stay awake!!!

Regards

Sylvia