Justforme
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Anyone got any tips about this excursion?

Going in Sept 2013 - looks great on the `Baithojunk` website.

What facilities are there on the boat and are there any `must-haves`

re:necessities etc ?

Janet

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Janet I'm going next Feb so I'll write up a testimonial on it when I get back!

All the best,

Bob

davidj
  • (Member)
(Member)

I went to Vietnam in October 2011 and the cruise in Halong Bay was a fantastic part of the holiday.

It is quite a long drive to the junk from Hanoi (I think it was about 5 hours) but it was really worth it. We arrived at the boat in time to be served a very good seafood lunch and there was an optional trip in the afternoon, that I did not take. We also had dinner and breakfast on the boat.

There were 35 in our party so we had 2 junks. In the evenings these were lashed together and people could transfer from one boat to the other if they wanted to.

Your main suitcase remains on the coach overnight so you need to take a small bag for the things you need. In the morning you drive straight to Hanoi airport. Most people opened their suitcases at the airport before checking in to avoid taking their toiletries (liquids) as carryon luggage.

As with rooms in the hotels I think some people had better cabins than others and it is just the luck of the draw. I would describe my cabin as adequate (all cabins had private facilities). This was not a problem as I spent very little time in the cabin. The floor in the shower room did get very slippery. I think that some of the cabins were provided with rubber foot ware but there were none in mine. I suggest you take your own, just in case.

The main thing you will need is your camera!

Please ask again if there is anything else you would like to know.

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks David, I'm doing Vietnam for Christmas, so good to know about the need for an overnight bag
Justforme
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'davidj' wrote:

I went to Vietnam in October 2011 and the cruise in Halong Bay was a fantastic part of the holiday.

It is quite a long drive to the junk from Hanoi (I think it was about 5 hours) but it was really worth it. We arrived at the boat in time to be served a very good seafood lunch and there was an optional trip in the afternoon, that I did not take. We also had dinner and breakfast on the boat.

There were 35 in our party so we had 2 junks. In the evenings these were lashed together and people could transfer from one boat to the other if they wanted to.

Your main suitcase remains on the coach overnight so you need to take a small bag for the things you need. In the morning you drive straight to Hanoi airport. Most people opened their suitcases at the airport before checking in to avoid taking their toiletries (liquids) as carryon luggage.

As with rooms in the hotels I think some people had better cabins than others and it is just the luck of the draw. I would describe my cabin as adequate (all cabins had private facilities). This was not a problem as I spent very little time in the cabin. The floor in the shower room did get very slippery. I think that some of the cabins were provided with rubber foot ware but there were none in mine. I suggest you take your own, just in case.

Thank you Bob and David - very helpful info.

SO looking forward to this adventure!

I`m almost wishing mylife away for these travels - can`t wait !

Janet 🙂

Justforme
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Janet I'm going next Feb so I'll write up a testimonial on it when I get back!

All the best,

Bob

I`ll look forward to your story Bob - make it a good one !

Janet 🙂

Annam
  • (Member)
(Member)
I've booked this holiday for Sept 2013 and can't wait

Anna

1holiday1
(Member)
Janet Just backfrom

Halong Bay If the weathers warm enough take the trip to The Beach and swim in the Pacific. Come home and say 'been there done that' Good memories.

discovermag
(Member)
Hi David,

Could I quote your thoughts (below) in the next issue of Discover, the Travelsphere/Just You magazine? If so, could you let me know your last name and the town where you live? You can mail me at dean.evans@futurenet.com.

Thanks

'Justforme' wrote:

'davidj' wrote:

Thank you Bob and David - very helpful info.

SO looking forward to this adventure!

I`m almost wishing mylife away for these travels - can`t wait !

Janet :-)

Caroleod
(Member)
'davidj' wrote:

rdawson
(Member)
'Justforme' wrote:

Anyone got any tips about this excursion?

Going in Sept 2013 - looks great on the `Baithojunk` website.

What facilities are there on the boat and are there any `must-haves`

re:necessities etc ?

Janet

One of the Vietnam highlights of a brilliant trip. Just take yourself, nothing else required. You have all the facilities you need on board. The lunch and evening meal on the boat are delicious. You might even get a swim in off the bay's beach, great fun. I am SO envious

StephanieGodfrey
(Member)
I & my husband visited Halong Bay in May 2013. There are hundreds of cruise ships in Halong. As our friends' suggestion, we booked a nice cruise (Glory Legend) through a travel agency Bestprice Vietnam. We had a wonderful 2day/1 night trip, overnight on board was a great experience for us. The cabin was fully equipped. The only thing you need is a camera with a lot of empty space in memory card!
StephanieGodfrey
(Member)
I & my husband visited Halong Bay in May 2013. There are hundreds of cruise ships in Halong. As our friends' suggestion, we booked a nice cruise (Glory Legend) through a travel agency Bestprice Vietnam. We had a wonderful 2day/1 night trip, overnight on board was a great experience for us. The cabin was fully eqipped. The only thing you need is a camera with a lot of empty space in memory card!
StephanieGodfrey
(Member)
'StephanieGodfrey' wrote:

I & my husband visited Halong Bay in May 2013. There are hundreds of cruise ships in Halong. As our friends' suggestion, we booked a nice cruise (Glory Legend) through a travel agency Bestprice Vietnam. We had a wonderful 2day/1 night trip, overnight on board was a great experience for us. The cabin was fully eqipped. The only thing you need is a camera with a lot of empty space in memory card!

Sorry for double post, I didn't notice the announcement that post need to be approved!