Smiggins
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
UThis review is rather late as I have been ill with flu since returning. I have been travelling 

with JY since 2000 and have always had great holidays including Christmas and New Year

in China, Hong Kong Costa Brava and Lake Bled. However Malta was altogether different.

First of all the shock of finding that there were 52 people booked when I was told that I got 

the last place at no40! There was no JY tour manager only a local guide who kept reminding

Us that she was employed by the angency in Malta.

On Christmas Day we went to Gozo which was fine but we were supposed to be having lunch

in restaurant which I thought would be about 1 - 1 30 but we kept getting reports that they

weren't ready for us.The time was changed 3 times eventually we were called at 3 30 we were 

rushed in to find that lunch was just buffet of pasta chips and chicken, dessert was a sliver of 

cake. We were asked to leave as another group was due. We were ther less than 1 hour, lots of disappointed people.

The day we went to Medina we were given a picnic, a bun the size of a dinner plate a muffin and 

water! We were told to get off bus and sit on wall to eat in a very cold wind. What we needed was 

a hot coffee the quide said a coffee stop was not included. We. Opted for coffee so missed out on 

most of the tour.

New Years Eve we were supposed to be going to watch Fireworks in Valletta from 9pm to 1am

Most of us didn't want to do this but it was obvious that we were expected to go as there was no

Entertainment provided. The local guide did put our case to management and we were allowed to join another group for dinner and dancing so she deserves a big thank you for that 

Finally on departure day we were expecting continental breakfast before leaving at 5 45am. 

We had tea or coffee but no juice or fruit or yoghurt only white sliced bread and jams. I have 

had many an early breakfast in lots of hotels with JY this is the worst. 

The hotel staff were magnificent and I think that the problem lies with local agent. I have done

18-20 trips since 2000 and this is the first time I have had to complain and I think a JY tour manager would have made a difference. This group was too big as I read on review of Lake Balaton

Smiggins

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Smiggins,

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate receiving feedback from our JY customers.

I understand that a member of our Customer Care team has spoken to you directly about your holiday to Christmas and New Year in Malta.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi thanks for your review - this is now the second one from Malta to say that there was no JY tour manager, rather just a local guide and that there were problems with the tour.  I think I can safely say that Malta is now off my holiday list!! 

Cheers,

Bob

Kimbeverley
(Member)
52 people is a lot, I think that there are a lot of people who prefer smaller groups ,it would definitely put me off booking to know so many were going , I was tempted to book this for Christmas ,but I am glad now that I did,nt as it does not sound like it went very smoothly.
mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
52 people on a single departure is way too many, and why was there no tour manager allocated to this group? This was a recipe for disaster! And it’s not the first time that a Maltese holiday has come in for some criticism, so why didn’t JY take extra care to ensure that everything ran smoothly?

It seems that JY have real problems in organising relatively simple European tours (I’ve read complaints in the past about tours to Malta, Italy and Spain), while a much more complex tour of Chile and Easter Island, which I enjoyed last November, can run without any issues at all.

And while the Customer Care representative may have been very sympathetic, that all comes far too late for 52 customers whose holiday did not live up to their expectations. I’m really sorry to read this, Smiggins, because you can’t turn the clock back and take the holiday again, can you?

Mike

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
This sounds absolutely horrendous - what a let down I understand that demand is high at Christmas and New Year for destinations that have some sun but consideration has to be given to the overall enjoyment of the group and the responsibility placed on the Tour Manager with large numbers. If there wasn't a tour manager on this trip but a local guide then that is not in line with the promises made in the brochure that a tour manager accompanies every trip and local guides are extra on some trips.
Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Smiggins

Thank You for your review and for taking the time to speak to our customer service team about your Christmas & New Year in Malta holiday with Just You. We are very sorry that the holiday and the standard of the local tour manager did not meet your expectations.

We also acknowledge that the group size was an issue and this, along with the tour manager comments, has been communicated with the Just You holiday creators who will take the necessary action to ensure that this does not happen again.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you on another Just You holiday in the future.

Kind regards

Amy

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, we have taken all of the feedback on board and our customer service team has been in touch with everyone who contacted Just You about the Malta holiday. We welcome all of your feedback as it is our loyal customers that help us ensure that we are delivering the high standard of holiday that is expected from Just You.

Kindest regards

Amy

katy1717
(Member)
Agree with what Bob, Mike and Jonah have said.  Malta is somewhere I'm looking at - but not with JY obviously.  Also have only just noticed their comments - holding back of critical responses again?

Like Bob, I remember adverse comments about the non-Christmas Malta trip, as this is somewhere I'm interested in.  Agree that JY seem to rely too much on local agents - I guess sometimes it works out (Croatia?) and then sometimes it really doesn't .....

Katy

daveJB
(Member)
I was on this holiday and I agree that 52 was a lot but the tour guide did a very good job and I don't think a

tour manager would have made any difference. The only disappointment I remember was the Christmas day

lunch in Gozo which I pointed out to JY in the feed back form.

It was defiantly not horrendous or a let down, the hotel, food, staff were excellent and I had a great time.

If you look hard enough you will find something to complain about like the woman in our group on the plane home complained that her seat was too hard.

Dave.

mikers44
(Member)
I had the pleasure of going and didn't regard 52 as to many, yes the Xmas Lunch in Gozo both in itself & the "Hotel" were a disgrace, but to offset this we got unlimited wine in the evening at the excellent hotel we stayed at, which I was not aware of at the time of booking.

The so called guide was worse than poor, stating off EVERY sentence with"OK" and using that same expression many & numerous times during EVERY sentence that followed.

But, all in all, for what we paid for at that time of the year, it was good value, some seem to have forgoton that on New Year's Eve we went to a Gala Dinner, which cost the locals 95 Euros. Just a shame we were not advised we would be going so we could have taken appropriate cloths.

Even met a lovely lady Roz, if you are out there Roz, please drop me a line.

Excellent weather, nice hotel & staff, good food, refreshment and some excellent company, what more do folk want?  :exclamation:

Mike.