SarahL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]There were 28 people on the trip, a lovely group of people. Sharron the tour manager was outstanding and went above and beyond to make it the trip of a lifetime. The hotels were all clean and the rooms well equipped. The only gripe I had was the location of the Philadelphia hotel and the Hotel Lancaster, which was also dated and a bit like Fawlty Towers. I would still rate the holiday 100% though. There was plenty of time to visit all the planned sights and you did not feel rushed, unless you are like me and have to stop for lunch everywhere.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 1[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Some of the group met in the lounge at Heathrow. Just You had kindly reserved a large table so I was able to get to know fellow travellers. The flight was shorter than scheduled at 7 hrs 50 and went really quick. Virgin Atlantic were wonderful and even the pilot came to see me as I was anxious. We arrived around 2:35pm local time. The heat hit you when you got of the plane, which I love, around 30 degrees and humid. It was about 40 mins to the hotel, Sheraton Suites. The hotel was beautiful, never had the luxury of staying in a suite. After freshening up the group met for a welcome drink and I ate in the hotel with a few others that evening. [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 2[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Today we visited Washington DC, driving past The Pentagon. The first stop was Arlington Cemetery where we visited JFK's grave and eternal flame.  The tour continued by coach and foot taking in The Capitol building, the Washington monument, the Whitehouse amongst many other sites. In the afternoon we went to The National Mall and had some free time, with most of the group visiting the Smithsonian museums. I went with a few others to the National Museum of American History, which was very good.  In the evening we walked into old town Alexandria 5 or 10 mins away and I had an Italian meal on King Street with a few of the group.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 3[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]We took a leisurely walk through old town Alexandria, a beautiful town with colourful old colonial buildings with shutters and cobblestone streets. The streets were lined with flowers, plants and hanging baskets and you could hear all the crickets in the trees. With the heat and humidity it felt very tropical but I felt a bit wheezy being asthmatic. We walked to the harbour and took a one and half hour cruise to Mount Vernon, complete with commentary and views of the Potomac river. Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington was lovely. There was so much to see besides the actual house, 46 areas on my guide leaflet. I visited the mansion and the botanical gardens along with the food court which had different fast food outlets, sandwiches etc. In the evening most people were tired but myself and another lady went back to King Street. We had a drink and a meal in a strange Irish bar and then hopped on the free trolley bus, which was packed to the level of the London Underground in rush hour.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 4[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Today we drove to Lancaster, a few hours away, with a quick comfort break at services. The Amish communities were interesting and we had a tour of a settlement and farm. A young boy joined the coach and handed out hand made crisps. We had a talk from his father about the lifestyle and he spoke about the horse drawn buggies. We had a wander round the farm and met the animals. There was a shop to buy homemade goods from whoopie pies to woodwork. The use of electricity was increasingly more common apparently and they had crops of tobacco, although I don't think they smoke. I felt it was a bit touristy but really enjoyed the day. We visited another farm and in between we stopped at Kitchen Kettle village which had a collection of craft shops and eateries. We even got to witness the eclipse whilst we were in Amish country. Lancaster town was just a stopover so we didn't see much of the town. I would not recommend the Federal Taphouse opposite the hotel as one lady I was with had burnt and blackened fish and chips with no accompaniments. I think we were all dumbfounded as how it could be served but none of us said anything. We went for a wander afterwards but soon returned after walking past a dodgy looking group on the corner.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 5[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]A stroll round Lancaster this morning was OK but nothing special. My group had breakfast out as the hotel was awful. The market listed in the brochure was just a small food market so not really worth visiting. We visited Longwood Gardens in the afternoon which was beautiful and expansive, but it was very hot when we visited. The water fountain display was fantastic, and imitated a firework display but with water. It was refreshing to stand under and the showers to cool down. In the evening we stayed in Philadelphia. The hotel was nice but the location by the convention centre was not great. To get to the restaurants and shops you had to walk under a dimly lit underpass past homeless people and several groups of men hanging around on street corners. There were four of us, all women, I am not normally intimidated but I didn't feel overly safe. We went to the Chinatown, there was so much choice but it was very traditional, as a vegetarian I was a bit wary.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 6[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]A tour of Philadelphia was full of interesting and historic sites, including the Liberty Bell. We had a tour of Independence Hall. I  really enjoyed a visit to the oldest street in Philadelphia called Elfreth's alley, dating back to 1702. I also loved Rocky's steps and monument at the Philadelphia art museum. In the afternoon some of us visited the Eastern State Penitentiary which was very atmospheric and imposing. The headset tour guide was very informative and there was plenty of time to spend discovering the prison. In the evening a few of us went to an outstanding Italian restaurant called Maggiano's, which several fellow travellers visited the night before. It was a large restaurant but we still had to wait a while for a table, and that was midweek.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold] [/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 7-9[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]I was looking forward to returning to New York City after visiting 21 years ago. We drove through the Lincoln tunnel to the sound of New York, New York playing on the coach, very emotional. After stopping of for lunch we took a coach tour through Manhattan. We got out at Battery Park to view the Statue of Liberty and One World trade centre to view the 9/11 memorial. On the last day we had a guided walking tour which took in Grand Central station, the United Nations building and we got to ride on the subway. The rest of the time was free, some people also opting for the helicopter ride and river cruise. There was so much to see and do in New York and I managed to fit so much into the time we had there. A horse and carriage ride through Central Park, a visit to Strawberry Fields memorial and the Dakota building where John Lennon lived. A ride in a yellow cab, shopping at Macy's. Views from the top of the Empire State Building, visiting the Rockefeller centre, sipping wine in the Plaza hotel, wandering round Trump tower. I spent three evenings round Times Square with several ladies and we went to a Broadway show called A Bronx Tale, which was very good. Two off us visited the 9/11 memorial and museum on the last day. The gardens and pools were thought provoking, having seen the original towers. It is such a lovely area though and the surrounding buildings are beautiful. There is a funny looking structure called the Oculus,it's not until you enter that you find it is a train station and and a Westfield shopping mall. The museum itself was a must, but heartbreaking. We were there several hours as there was so much to see and could not believe that they had the original crumpled fire engines and steel columns on display, incredibly poignant.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 10-11[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]We drove to Mystic and spent several hours at Mystic seaport maritime museum. Lots of historic ships and staff dressed in period dress and role playing.  We also visited Mystic Village which was designed to represent and old New England village. There were lots of craft and gift shops with unique items. We had lunch here as there were several places to eat with different cuisines. We then drove to Plymouth for the evening where we stayed at the hotel 1620. It was a beautiful hotel, large but seemed quite empty. On each floor there was a lounge area were parts of the group congregated for a chat and a drink. I went in the indoor pool with another lady and there was only the two off us, bliss.  The breakfasts were amazing, a proper menu, waiter service and cutlery.  I had cinnamon French toast with blueberries, maple syrup and edible flowers on the first morning.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Plymouth was a picturesque fishing village where the Mayflower landed in 1620. We saw the Plymouth Rock but I was disappointed that the Mayflower had been removed for renovation. There were a lot of historic sites to see including the National Monument to the Forefathers and the oldest street in N.America. We visited burial hill, a graveyard with fantastic views of the harbour.  The Plimoth plantation, a replica village of the original settlement was an enjoyable visit. In the afternoon some of the group went whale watching and said it was fantastic. Myself and another lady spent the afternoon watching the world go by in a seafront cafe and wandering round the town. There was lots to see, including 30 five foot high painted statues of lobsters, with different names dotted around the town. There was a lot of good seafront restaurants, if you like fish and seafood. The shops were mainly upmarket and like everywhere else we visited souvenirs were not cheap.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Day 12[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]The final day was spent in Boston before flying home late evening. We left the hotel around 10am and Boston was less than an hr away. It was the only day I felt chilly and it was a bit grey but Boston was a lovely city. We packed so much into the day without being rushed, a combination of coach and walking tour. We followed the Freedom Trail, which follows locations significant to the history of the USA. The highlights for me were Quincy market, The Cheers bar and a tour of Harvard university. We left for the airport around 6pm and the flight was less than 6 hrs.  I would have liked to stay in Boston overnight though.[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText-Semibold]Overall this holiday was stunning and diverse. There was so many historic sights, large cities to small fishing villages, so many different experiences and I would highly recommend. It's over seven weeks now since I arrived home and still think about the wonderful memories most days.[/font][/font]

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon SarahL,

I'm delighted to hear that you had a stunning time on your trip to The Great Eastern USA.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the JY Community. I have forwarded your comments on to the wider team here at JYHQ.

Kindest Regards,

Amy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your review - I have my eye on this tour so it's great to hear that it surpassed expectations!

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Thank you so much for the lovely comprehensive review. Looks like you had a good time. The Tour sounds interesting and I have added it to my every growing long list.

Kind regards

Jaya

SarahL
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Bob and Jaya

It took me a while to get round to completing and a bit lengthy but as it is a new tour I wanted to share my experiences. I am considering America's heart and soul next year so it has been good to read previous reviews.

I don't know what happened to the font whilst I was copying and pasting!

Sarah

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Sometimes Gremlins get going when you are copying and pasting so no worries.

Hopefully you will be booking America's Heart and Soul tour soon. Enjoy if you do decide to go.

Regards

Jaya