valley
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just back from the above river cruise, which I enjoyed very much. Just a couple of things to watch out for, if you are traveling from one of the regional airports you may be put on standby on either flight, it seems just you have no way of knowing if you will be on your correct flight, one lady arrived several hours after the rest of us and another was left at Amsterdam airport until they could get her on a flight. For lone travelers this is not really good enough. Also the boat is French, just you have 20 cabins out of 78, the French take over they are loud and rude. onewhat a shame a good holiday could be spoilt by just you not checking .
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Valley,

In theory anyone can be bumped from a flight anytime and anywhere unfortunately - I wonder did the ladies in question arrive at the airport with not too long to spare before the flight?  You have a much better chance of getting on board without hassle if you arrive around three hours before the flight.  Also I think being bumped is much less likely if you are part of a group at the main departure point.  And I don't think JY can do much about the other passengers on board the cruise!  Anyhow I'm glad you enjoyed the trip on the whole.

Best wishes,

Bob

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
'valley' wrote:

Just back from the above river cruise, which I enjoyed very much. Just a couple of things to watch out for, if you are traveling from one of the regional airports you may be put on standby on either flight, it seems just you have no way of knowing if you will be on your correct flight, one lady arrived several hours after the rest of us and another was left at Amsterdam airport until they could get her on a flight. For lone travelers this is not really good enough. Also the boat is French, just you have 20 cabins out of 78, the French take over they are loud and rude. onewhat a shame a good holiday could be spoilt by just you not checking .

I've been on a river cruise with the same French company this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.   I checked out the company's website before booking with JY and was made well aware that the majority of passengers would be French.   I never came across any loud or rude behaviour on their part unless you count bumping into other folk on the narrow stairs and corridors.   Indeed they could have complained about the noise from some of our group who could be overenthusiastic at times, but they didn't.   For anyone else considering this holiday or any of the other river cruises, please don't let the thought of travelling in close proximity to other nationalities put you off.

Ann

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Valley,

Thanks for your feedback on this cruise. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately the Airlines are a law unto themselves.... they often overbook a flights and so there is no way of knowing in advance if you will get bumped or not. The advice from Bob is good, the earlier you check in the better. Also, in the small print, way down the list hidden where nobody looks, I believe the airlines state that they only guarantee to fly you from one point to another... this means they can cancel the flight, move it, change the time or bump you, as long as they get you from one point to another.... it can be so frustrating.

valley
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for that, I am grateful it has never happened to me and I had never realised it could happen, good to know these things though. As for the other passengers on the cruise, of course just you cannot be accountable for them but my point was, maybe they should book more cabins to even up the numbers. I take your point Ann and can only speak for myself. I have been on other river cruises with the same company also and never encountered any problems.