Rayda
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
What a fantastic tour! Our tour manager Brian Croft was excellent. He made sure we all got to know each other quite quickly and we had a great group of 29 ladies and 3 men.

The hotels were mostly of a good standard.

We saw bears, sunshine and it even snowed at Maligne lake.  My first time on a helicopter and I loved it over the mountains and lakes.

Although people always talk of Lake Louise my favourite is Lake Moraine. Much more peaceful.

The river rafting was fairly gentle and relaxing.

Quite an experience on the Rocky Mountaineer. 5* dining and service.

I found Vancouver quite easy to get around. Although one lady did lose herself. The Canadians are so helpful and you can always ask.

At Grouse mountain we were very lucky to see Coola and Grinder and don't miss the film of them from when they were rescued.

The suspension bridge is fun and if you can get across there are great walks high up in the trees.

I did the cliff walk also. Several steps though.

Vancouver Island was a very wet day unfortunately. I recommend lunch in Victoria at Murchies. Savouries, cakes and desserts to die for!!

I did find Canada expensive though. Take plenty of dollars and in places I could use my credit card.

Clothing needs to be in layers.

I absolutely love Canada and the people and would love to go back again one day.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rayda,

Many thanks for your review - I hope to do this tour in 2019 so I was delighted to read it.  Sounds like it is even better than I would hope for!

Cheers,

Bob

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Rayda,

Great review, this is a holiday I would love to do at some point.

Kind Regards

Kezzer

katy1717
(Member)
Hello Rayda

Thanks for the great review.  I'm another who has this trip on their radar.  Just not sure when I can fit it in.

Did you upgrade to the Goldleaf service?  I seem to remember this was recommended by someone previously.  I had decided to do this upgrade when I get round to this trip as it's one of those trips of a lifetime that I'm only going to do once.

Katy

1981Kedi
(Member)
Hi Raydar

many thanks for the review - I am pleased you enjoyed this amazing tour - I am looking forward to experiencing it in the future. I wonder if you or a fellow traveller could comment a bit more on the Rocky Mountaineer please? Sorry - bit like 20 questions!  :rolleyes:

For example - did you have allocated seats - was there space to move around and stretch your legs - was there space for "cabin luggage" on the train or did this go with your main case direct to the next hotel - did the train slow for wild life sightings or special views - was there a useful commentary - is it better to be on the left or right side of the train for the views - was it easy to order drinks including water or better to take your own - 

Any thoughts or comments would be useful - including how to stop John Denver singing Rocky Mountain High in my head!!!!!    😉

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose

This holiday is also on my list and I think we will have to plan the first meeting of our 'robbery' though not sure I can pull it off!

Jaya

Jan Myers
(Member)
'1981Kedi' wrote:

Hi Raydar

many thanks for the review - I am pleased you enjoyed this amazing tour - I am looking forward to experiencing it in the future. I wonder if you or a fellow traveller could comment a bit more on the Rocky Mountaineer please? Sorry - bit like 20 questions!  :rolleyes:

For example - did you have allocated seats - was there space to move around and stretch your legs - was there space for "cabin luggage" on the train or did this go with your main case direct to the next hotel - did the train slow for wild life sightings or special views - was there a useful commentary - is it better to be on the left or right side of the train for the views - was it easy to order drinks including water or better to take your own - 

Any thoughts or comments would be useful - including how to stop John Denver singing Rocky Mountain High in my head!!!!!    ;)

Hi,

I was on the same trip and too really enjoyed all the experiences. In answer to your Rocky mountaineer questions I hope that the following will help. Seats were allocated with JY customers seated together ( our group divided about half and half between gold and silver) I was in gold and there was plenty of leg room and room to move around.There is space for a small bag or rucksack. If you have hand luggage on wheels this will go with main luggage to your hotel and will be waiting in hotel room when you arrive. the train does not slow for wildlife sightings ( only slows or stops in certain points on the line for freight trains) However if there are wildlife sightings these are called out by train staff. We saw... Black bears, deer, a distant moose, long horn sheep and plenty of bald eagles and Ospreys on our journey. Train staff also give interesting commentary as the train travels along often giving historically interesting facts.  Drinks, both alcoholic and non alcoholic plus water are included in the package and provided regularly during the day. There are things to see both left and right of the train but it is Easy to see both sides from where you are sit. It's a great experience whether you travel silver or gold. Hope this helps, if you need any more info on the train or the rest of the holiday just ask.  Jan M

1981Kedi
(Member)
'Jan Myers' wrote:

Hi,

I was on the same trip and too really enjoyed all the experiences. In answer to your Rocky mountaineer questions ............ It's a great experience whether you travel silver or gold. Hope this helps, if you need any more info on the train or the rest of the holiday just ask.  Jan M

Many thanks for these answers Jan - it sounds a great trip - I wouldn't want to miss one moment on the train! Glad 'cabin bags' can travel with the main cases - one thing less to think about. You did well with your wildlife sightings - the thought of eagles soaring in the Rockies.........

I am sure I will come up with more questions! Would hope to do a flight (as long as I don't have to be weighed first!) - thought of one - what was the seating arrangement on the helicopter? I will hopefully manage the suspension bridge having done what was a very wobbly canopy walk in the forests of Borneo.

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Rayda, I'm so glad you had such a good time. Your review brought back many happy memories of the tour when I did it back in 2011. (We also had Brian Croft as our TM - he's a bit of a JY legend!) We had a slightly different itinerary and stayed for a couple of nights on Vancouver Island at the end of the trip. I was sorry to hear that you had bad weather there because it really is a lovely place and well worth a walk around, particularly the harbour area. Very British colonial I thought. The extra days meant that we also got to do an amazing orca watching trip starring three pods of very playful and busy whales!

Like Jan, I also did the Gold Leaf upgrade on the Rocky Mountaineer and thoroughly recommend it. However, I should caveat that by saying that, at the time, the train did not feature Silver Leaf with panoramic roofs, there was only Gold or Red Leaf which were more traditional rail cars, in those days. I've heard good things about Silver but, for sheer luxury, I would go Gold if I ever do it again.

I'm glad to hear that Coola and Grinder are still going strong but, as for the Capilano suspension bridge, lets just say I wasn't a fan... It's true that you get some great views from it and the 'other side' of the ravine is worth a visit but, if you get some eejit who suddenly decides to run across or bounce a bit when you are on it, you quickly become aware that it's wooden, over a hundred years old, very narrow, very high up and VERY flimsy..... Great for Julia's 'something you've never done before' survey though :rolleyes:

Go on Mr Grey - you've been saying you are going to do this trip since forever! Pencil it in for 2019 - the wildlife is waiting for you.....!

All the best

Mandy

Jan Myers
(Member)
'1981Kedi' wrote:

'Jan Myers' wrote:

Hi,

I was on the same trip and too really enjoyed all the experiences. In answer to your Rocky mountaineer questions ............ It's a great experience whether you travel silver or gold. Hope this helps, if you need any more info on the train or the rest of the holiday just ask.  Jan M

Many thanks for these answers Jan - it sounds a great trip - I wouldn't want to miss one moment on the train! Glad 'cabin bags' can travel with the main cases - one thing less to think about. You did well with your wildlife sightings - the thought of eagles soaring in the Rockies.........

I am sure I will come up with more questions! Would hope to do a flight (as long as I don't have to be weighed first!) - thought of one - what was the seating arrangement on the helicopter? I will hopefully manage the suspension bridge having done what was a very wobbly canopy walk in the forests of Borneo.

HI, 

No weighing for the helicopter flights!!! All the helicopters we used were 4 seats in the back and one in the front, so everyone got a window view. I did the 25 min flight, which was expensive but well worth it, I think it's the best helicopter flight I've done ( and I've done a few on various holidays) all the people who did 12 min flight all really enjoyed too. I'm usually very iffy on heights and suspension bridges but for some reason was fine on the Capilano one - it's a long bridge but I'm sure that you will do it.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mandy and Jan,  many thanks for the additional info and yes, this tour is firmly on my itinerary for 2019, finances permitting!

All the best,

Bob

watsonp
(Member)
Hi Rayda,

I was on the same trip (Pauline) and had a wonderful time too. Personally I would have preferred to stay a bit longer in Victoria when we went across to Vancouver Island instead of the visit to Butchard Gardens, but guess you can't please all the people! In reference to the Rocky Mountaineer - I was in Silver and thought it was excellent, great staff and we had good views out of large windows and I really didn't mind eating at our seats as there was plenty of room. It was a nice surprise to get upgraded on the 2nd day (when our Silver coach had a washroom problem) but I really didn't think there was that much difference. You can visit the outside viewing area on both coaches. So glad I booked this trip as has always been at the top of my list - was a pleasure to meet you all! Pauline

Toronto17
(Member)
'katy1717' wrote:

Hello Rayda

Thanks for the great review.  I'm another who has this trip on their radar.  Just not sure when I can fit it in.

Did you upgrade to the Goldleaf service?  I seem to remember this was recommended by someone previously.  I had decided to do this upgrade when I get round to this trip as it's one of those trips of a lifetime that I'm only going to do once.

Katy

We've travelled the Rovky Mointaineer twice.  Once Goldleaf and once Silverleaf.  Both are great tours.  We found Goldleaf service excessive and then went Silver.  If we go again, we'll go Silver.  Both tours were not Just You.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the additional comments, I will have some interesting decisions to make over the next couple of years!

Best wishes,

Bob

katy1717
(Member)
Thanks for the comments on the gold and silver service.  Good to have the perspective of someone who's tried both.

Katy

AELB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose

The Gold Leaf travellers are in a different hotel in Kamloops (your overnight Rocky Mountaineer stop). I don't know if they still use the one we had in 2011 but it was very nice.

The other difference was that Gold passengers had their main luggage delivered to their hotel for the overnight stop - and it was already in room on arrival - but the other travellers had to take an overnight bag as their suitcases went straight through to Vancouver by road. I'm not sure if this is still the procedure, however, because there wasn't a silver leaf option in 2011, it was just Gold or Red (single level traditional rail cars with no panoramic roof)

Kamloops is a bit of a 'one horse town' but you'll only be there for an evening and, after a day of luxury and doing nothing but being waited on on the train, my group were all surprisingly exhausted!  There was a 'dinner & show' option for the stop over night but most people in my group didn't bother as it's an early start on both mornings (in fact on most mornings!).

As Bob said, don't worry about the long haul travel but my tip, in addition to the flight socks, is to always use the first loo you find after getting off the plane because you could be in the immigration queue for quite a while!

Go for it - you'll love this tour!

All the best

Mandy

intrepid traveller
(Member)
Thanks for the review which brought back very happy memories of a similar trip I did with a JY 2 years ago. The amazing unfatiguable unforgettable Brian was our Tour Manager too. Glad you also enjoyed it all.
Jan Myers
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

I see that on the 2018 itinerary it says people upgrading to Gold service on Rocky Mountaineer get upgraded in the hotels too and get "luxurious hotels with premium room categories" (obviously only for the nights you are on the RM).  I wonder if anyone has any comments on this aspect of the tour?  Were the hotels of better quality, was it worth it on this score?

Thanks

Rose

Hi Rose,

I was on this trip in June 2017. Yes, Gold leaf do go to a different hotel. I was in gold and we were in the Sandman which is 5 mins from station and overlooked the park, the room and hotel were wonderful. However,   the people in silver were in a very good hotel not much further away ( think it was called the Thompson, which used to be used by gold leaf travellers). I wouldn't say the hotel would be a deal breaker - most people didn't want much if anything to eat at night ( so much good food  on train) and breakfast is served on train following morning. So room is only really for relaxing and sleeping. They do vary hotels and you don't usually find out until morning of train. 

Not a lot to do in kamloops but when we were there it was a beautiful evening and most of us had a stroll in park by the river which was very nice.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

Hi Mandy

Many thanks for all of this and in particular for the tip about the loo!! I hadn't't thought about immigration queues having only travelled to Europe so far. That's what I love about this forum, people are always so happy to share tips and advice.

I'm planning on booking this tour as soon as I get back from the Mekong Cruise in November, I'll know by then if I can manage another long haul and I'll also have had time to save up, because Jaya is being a bit lax about setting up this bank robbery team!!

Thanks everyone

Rose

Hi Rose

I would love to set up the bank robbery team, but unfortunately other work has taken priority! :huh:

It looks like all those who wanted to join my gang will have to save the pennies for a little while longer!

Regards

Jaya

Jan Myers
(Member)
'Rose1999' wrote:

Thank you Jan that's really helpful. I've decided I really want to do this trip in 2018, I just need to find out how much the upgrade to Gold leaf costs and also flight upgrade costs.  I did email customer services but not had a reply yet.

Could you please give me any indication of what you paid, I know it will no doubt be more next year but I just really wanted a rough idea.

Best wishes

Rose

Hi Rose,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. I can't help you with flight upgrades but upgrade to gold leaf on Rocky Mountaineer was an extra £399. For this you are higher up ( top tier of two on the train) so better views. Windows are larger ( though silver are now very good panoramic windows)In gold, you also eat downstairs in the dining room with a slightly bigger choice than silver leaf. It all depends on what you want out of the Rocky mountaineer and your budget. Silver leaf is very good (according to our other companions) Drinks are complimentary in both, food is excellent in both (just less choice in silver) both have a small outside area for viewing. Hotels in Kamloops were both very good. I looked on RM website for photos etc. Whatever you choose I'm sure that you will have a wonderful  time. Jan