LeeM
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Cruising the Seine Valley & Paris by Eurostar

I have just returned from the above five night holiday. This was my second JY holiday.

I meet up with my 15 other traveling companions at St. Pancras station. Our tour guide Jackie quickly had us organized and on our way. In just a few hours we were in Paris aboard the MS Seine Princess which was moored close to the Eiffel Tower.

The ship was lovely and I quickly felt at home. At one end of the ship was the dinning room, open three times a day for our buffet breakfast and three course lunch and dinner. The meals were of very high standard and presented beautifully. I ate far too much! 

The bar lounge for complimentary hot and cold drinks was at the other end. We gathered here for pre-dinner drinks and evening entertainment. Free flowing wine and cocktails made for a happy ship! I drank far to much!

The cabins, reception and a small gift shop were in the middle of the ship. The top deck for viewing and sunbathing was the full length of the ship with loungers, chairs and tables. We were lucky with the weather, which although very cold in the mornings was sunny with blue skies by afternoon.

My cabin was a good size with a large window. Soap, shower gel and shampoo were provided.

I had pre-booked the optional excursion package of 6 trips to enjoy as we cruised to Honfleur and back. These excursions were varied, some walking, some coach tours, but I enjoyed them all and loved discovering more of France. There was also the option to visit the D-Day beaches and museum or to stay aboard the ship and relax. 

I feel I should add some negative things at this point to give a balanced review. However, I honestly can not think of a thing. Maybe a niggle or two, but I tend to let niggles slide past me when on holiday! As you can probably tell I thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a pleasure to meet Community's RaeW and the others in the group. We quickly gelled and got on well together which massively enhanced the enjoyment of the holiday. Our guide Jackie was wonderful, full of knowledge and with a fun sense of humour. Thank you all for your companionship and thank you JY for organising it!

Lesley

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lesley,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with the wider community. I'm delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable trip.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Lee,

Thanks for writing your review. Sounds like you had a great holiday.

I've often thought about doing a cruise but am not a 100% sure its for me, so perhaps I should start with a river cruise similar to this one to see how I like things...

Kind Regards

Kezzer

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for this great review - I hope to take in a few cruises in the years ahead so it's great to know that this is a trip well worth doing.

Where to next?!

Best wishes,

Bob

Bosuncat
(Member)
Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for this.  I missed out on a River Cruise last year with the dates changing, and me not being able to change mine.  I have looked at this cruise before, mainly because it does a part of France that I would like to see (Rouen and the Normandy Landings), and of course it's Eurostar.  I can get a train straight into St Pancras so no messing around with airports! 🙂  And needless to say overnight hotels!

It sounds really good, an I hope that JY keep it on for next year.  Thank you so much for your review.

LeeM
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Hi Lee,

I've often thought about doing a cruise but am not a 100% sure its for me, so perhaps I should start with a river cruise similar to this one to see how I like things...

Kind Regards

Kezzer

Hi Kezzer,

Go for it! I've found cruises, both river and ocean, are perfect for solo travellers. Different places to visit, lots of actives and evening entertainment helps to make an enjoyable and sociable holiday  🙂

Lesley

LeeM
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for this great review - I hope to take in a few cruises in the years ahead so it's great to know that this is a trip well worth doing.

Where to next?!

Best wishes,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm thinking of Iceland for my next JY trip. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit and has got good reviews. 

But (like everyone else here!) I'm waiting for the arrival of the new book before making a final decision.

Lesley

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lesley,

I did Iceland two years ago and it was fantastic, one of my favourite destinations!  It is so different to anywhere else I've been.  I do hope you go and enjoy it as much as I did.  The food is superb, but be prepared for any kind of weather!

All the best,

Bob

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
You beat me to it, Lesley! 

I agree with everything you say in the review. Our group gelled well together and if any others pop into this forum I'd like to thank them for their company too. 

The excursions gave us a taster of places that we may wish to visit again. I did the D-day landings and found this so interesting. One of our group came all the way from Canada with a coin that had been in her family for as long as she can remember. She asked the tour guide if it would be possible to go to the Canadian Cemetery. Her wish was granted and we had a 15 minute stop as it was on our way to Arromanches. You can imagine how pleased she was.

My only little grumble was that I didn't really see Honfleur as the D-day excursion was a full day and we sailed not long after arriving back on board. However, that in no way spoiled my holiday. 

As Lesley said, the food was excellent and it may take the four weeks until my Flavours of Tuscany holiday to get into shape again...or is that a waste of time considering it will be more eating and wine tasting?

On the Budapest to Strasbourg cruise I met a cling-on shower curtain. It has a friend on the MS Seine Princess!

The last evening was a treat. During dinner the river was low enough for the ship to sail up the Seine. On the return 3 of us, brave souls we were, wrapped up warmly and went up on deck to see Paris by night. Once we were up we had to remain there as the stairs were closed because we went under some very low bridges and they didn't want anyone getting decapitated. The finale was approaching the Eiffel Tower at 10pm just as the thousands of sparking lights were switched on for a few minutes. What a beautiful ending to a marvellous cruise.

Now, where did I put that New Year brochure?

Rae

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Kezzer46' wrote:

Hi Lee,

Kind Regards

Kezzer

You should try a short cruise. Don't think you can sit back and relax though. I've come home to recover from a busy programme of excursions!

Rae

RaeW
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Hi Lesley,

Many thanks for this.  I missed out on a River Cruise last year with the dates changing, and me not being able to change mine.  I have looked at this cruise before, mainly because it does a part of France that I would like to see (Rouen and the Normandy Landings), and of course it's Eurostar.  I can get a train straight into St Pancras so no messing around with airports! 🙂  And needless to say overnight hotels!

It sounds really good, an I hope that JY keep it on for next year.  Thank you so much for your review.

Hi Bosuncat,

I enjoyed the Normandy Landings. There was a lot to take in but I learned so much. 

Rouen lived up to my expectations. Beautiful buildings in the Old Town.

Rae

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Lesley and Rae,

Thank you for these reviews. An area that I know well with my penfriend living near the Rivers Eure and Seine near Les Andelys and the 9 barge locks at Poses. I have been to Honfleur twice and both times the harbour has been drained while work is carried out. Maybe I ought to go on this trip just to see some water in the harbour 😉 

Jan

Toronto17
(Member)
'RaeW You wrote:

I agree with everything you say in the review. Our group gelled well together and if any others pop into this forum I'd like to thank them for their company too. 

The excursions gave us a taster of places that we may wish to visit again. I did the D-day landings and found this so interesting. One of our group came all the way from Canada with a coin that had been in her family for as long as she can remember. She asked the tour guide if it would be possible to go to the Canadian Cemetery. Her wish was granted and we had a 15 minute stop as it was on our way to Arromanches. You can imagine how pleased she was.

My only little grumble was that I didn't really see Honfleur as the D-day excursion was a full day and we sailed not long after arriving back on board. However, that in no way spoiled my holiday. 

As Lesley said, the food was excellent and it may take the four weeks until my Flavours of Tuscany holiday to get into shape again...or is that a waste of time considering it will be more eating and wine tasting.

Hello again Lesley and RaeW

I can't agree with you more about our shared trip on the Seine Princess. Nothing could be improved.  It was a fabulous cruise.  I couldn't wait to go again and am sorry the trip in July is a "no go".  Richard was great company in our shared London cab with a real London cabby to Victoria Station.  Trip to Gatwick went as planned, stayed  in a nice hotel for the night and left for Canada the following day with many very happy memories.  Thanks Rhea for the lovely photos you e-mailed, well appreciated.  Nice to touch base again.

I'm happy to find and join this Forum and look forward to reading the different threads.

Cheers to all.

Sandra

On the Budapest to Strasbourg cruise I met a cling-on shower curtain. It has a friend on the MS Seine Princess!

The last evening was a treat. During dinner the river was low enough for the ship to sail up the Seine. On the return 3 of us, brave souls we were, wrapped up warmly and went up on deck to see Paris by night. Once we were up we had to remain there as the stairs were closed because we went under some very low bridges and they didn't want anyone getting decapitated. The finale was approaching the Eiffel Tower at 10pm just as the thousands of sparking lights were switched on for a few minutes. What a beautiful ending to a marvellous cruise.

Now, where did I put that New Year brochure?

Rae

LeeM
(Member) (Topic Starter)
[quote pid='297215' dateline='1493317965']

Hello again Lesley and RaeW

I can't agree with you more about our shared trip on the Seine Princess. Nothing could be improved.  It was a fabulous cruise.  I couldn't wait to go again and am sorry the trip in July is a "no go".  Richard was great company in our shared London cab with a real London cabby to Victoria Station.  Trip to Gatwick went as planned, stayed  in a nice hotel for the night and left for Canada the following day with many very happy memories.  Thanks Rhea for the lovely photos you e-mailed, well appreciated.  Nice to touch base again.

I'm happy to find and join this Forum and look forward to reading the different threads.

Cheers to all.

Sandra

Hello Sandra,

How lovely to hear from you and pleased you have found your way to the JY community website. 

Our cruise on the Seine Princess was great fun wasn't it? You certainly finished in style with a London cab to the station   😉

I hope our paths will cross again one day Sandra.

Kind regards,

Lesley