SarahS
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Overall a very enjoyable trip.  Although earlier reviews of the hotel mentioned the need for refurbishment, it appears this has now been done to a good standard.  Accommodation is in five three storey blocks, linked  to the main building by covered and well-lit walkways.  The village is a little isolated, with only a small supermarket and two bars within walking distance, but with excursions, included and optional, available each day, the relative isolation wasn't a problem for most people, and there were superb views across the valley from the hotel grounds.  The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.  The bar and seating areas were spacious and on two of the nights we were there, there was live music, which induced most of the group to dancing and a couple of JY congas.

Food was very good. Breakfast was buffet style, dinner was four courses, with anti-pasta, choice of pasta and main courses and desert.  Portions were very generous.  We had two included meals, one lunch and one dinner, at local masserias.  Both meals were outstanding.  

Apulia is as yet relatively untouched by tourism, and a largely agricultural area, with fishing boats operating on the coast.  The highlights for me were the Sassi stone houses in Matera, recently used as the setting for the new Ben Hur film, of course the trulli houses at Alberbello, and  Monopoli on the coast.

All the towns we visited had something of interest.  Olive oil tasting at Ostuni, a roman amphitheatre in Lecce,  and the mediaeval palazzo at Martina Franca.  There was so much to experience and enjoy.

Although we did so much, all the excursions allowed us plenty of time for leisurely lunches and independent exploration.  I would highly recommend a visit to this area of Italy before it is overrun by hordes  of tourists.

Special thanks to Marsha our tour manager who led us with unfailing patience and good humour.

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Sarah, thanks for the review. I've only heard good things about this trip. I probably would have done it by now, but the very very early start at whichever London airport they use for the departure has ruled it out for me at the moment.

Katy

jonah
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Sarah.  I saw this area on Gino De Campo recently and it looked lovely.  Your review has me very tempted
SarahS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Yes it was before crack of dawn when I checked in. I stayed overnight at the Premiere  Inn at North terminal, it's  only a few minutes walk from the terminal,  but the overnight does add to the holiday cost. Hope you will make it to this lovely part of Italy.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for this great review, Apulia is definitely on my wish list for a few years down the road!

All the best,

Bob

sallyc
(Member)
Thanks for the review Sarah. I have moved this one up my list now.
magpie10
(Member)
I remember having Marsha as my tour guide on my very first JY holiday to Lake Garda and can vouch for her being excellent. I know JY were just starting this tour or hadn't had it running long, and Marsha recommended it to me. Unfortunately the Gatwick departure rules it out for me at the moment, but hopefully one day I'll get there.

Thanks for the positive review.

Caroline

lesley07
(Member)
Hi Sarah

Glad to hear that refurbishment of the hotel and improvements in the food have happened. I was one of the ones who commented negatively on these aspects of this holiday. Like you, I enjoyed visiting Apulia and will return some day.

Lesley

SarahS
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for all your comments. Matera has been designated European City of culture for 2019, and there is already evidence of building and road widening. The area is desparate to get more money into the local economy, but, I'm very glad to have seen Apulia before mass tourism takes off
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

Thanks for a great review. This is on my list and I may decide to do this within the next couple of years as I think I will need a short haul holiday by then. Every time we get a new brochure, I am drawn to this holiday so hopefully it will not be put to rest.

Jaya

rosysmith
(Member)
'SarahS' wrote:

Overall a very enjoyable trip.  Although earlier reviews of the hotel mentioned the need for refurbishment, it appears this has now been done to a good standard.  Accommodation is in five three storey blocks, linked  to the main building by covered and well-lit walkways.  The village is a little isolated, with only a small supermarket and two bars within walking distance, but with excursions, included and optional, available each day, the relative isolation wasn't a problem for most people, and there were superb views across the valley from the hotel grounds.  The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful.  The bar and seating areas were spacious and on two of the nights we were there, there was live music, which induced most of the group to dancing and a couple of JY congas.

Food was very good. Breakfast was buffet style, dinner was four courses, with anti-pasta, choice of pasta and main courses and desert.  Portions were very generous.  We had two included meals, one lunch and one dinner, at local masserias.  Both meals were outstanding.  

Apulia is as yet relatively untouched by tourism, and a largely agricultural area, with fishing boats operating on the coast.  The highlights for me were the Sassi stone houses in Matera, recently used as the setting for the new Ben Hur film, of course the trulli houses at Alberbello, and  Monopoli on the coast.

All the towns we visited had something of interest.  Olive oil tasting at Ostuni, a roman amphitheatre in Lecce,  and the mediaeval palazzo at Martina Franca.  There was so much to experience and enjoy.

Although we did so much, all the excursions allowed us plenty of time for leisurely lunches and independent exploration.  I would highly recommend a visit to this area of Italy before it is overrun by hordes  of tourists.

Special thanks to Marsha our tour manager who led us with unfailing patience and good humour.

Hi Sarah

I was also on this tour and Sarah's post is a very good summation of the tour.  I have been on various other Italian JY tours and I think this one is possibly the best so far.  I spotted this post whilst looking at the Calabria tour which I will probably book for September next year.  I would like to add that Marsha was an exceptional tour manager and I would like to add my thanks to her for making this tour so memorable.  Rose Smith.

rosysmith
(Member)
'magpie10' wrote:

I remember having Marsha as my tour guide on my very first JY holiday to Lake Garda and can vouch for her being excellent. I know JY were just starting this tour or hadn't had it running long, and Marsha recommended it to me. Unfortunately the Gatwick departure rules it out for me at the moment, but hopefully one day I'll get there.

Thanks for the positive review.

Caroline

Hi Caroline,   I was also put off by flying from London airports (I live in the West Midlands) so I now drive down the day before and do a park and stay and also stay on the return night.  I know it probably adds a couple of hundred pounds to the holiday but I feel relaxed and unstressed and I think it is worth it to go on holidays that I had 'excluded' myself from in the past.  Rose.

rosysmith
(Member)
'jonah' wrote:

Thanks Sarah.  I saw this area on Gino De Campo recently and it looked lovely.  Your review has me very tempted

I had already booked the holiday when I saw Gino and it convinced me I had made the right choice and now the holiday is over, it definately was.  I'm going to Calabria September 17, hope it is as good.    Rose.

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rose

You will love Calabria. When I went we had a very long drive from Naples Airport!

Jaya

Maria_19
(Member)
'SarahS' wrote:

Yes it was before crack of dawn when I checked in. I stayed overnight at the Premiere  Inn at North terminal, it's  only a few minutes walk from the terminal,  but the overnight does add to the holiday cost. Hope you will make it to this lovely part of Italy.

I'm looking at this for June 2017. I'd also have to stay overnight so your hotel recommendation is helpful. When browsing the earlier reviews I was a little put off by the hotel/food but glad to read that has now been rectified.