RaeW
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just back from beautiful San Marco di Castellabate.

I was happy with:

* the hotel's situation with views over the harbour to the hilltop village of Castellabate in the distance

* my room which was really large with a delightful balcony looking out over the pool area and kept very clean by the housekeeping staff

* the modern spa where the free hour seemed to vanish in seconds

* the reception staff and some of the restaurant staff who were all very helpful

* the food after we were given our own menu

* the number of loungers around the pool and the beach

* the tour round Castellabate with a very informative guide

* the trip to Paestum with a guide who gave us enough information without overloading us with facts. Both guides were delightful.

* the visit to the buffalo farm where we had the most delicious ice cream made from buffalo milk.

* that we could take the local bus to Santa Maria and Castellabate

* that we could walk to Santa Maria along the coast. It only took about 35 minutes steady walking on a day that wasn't over hot.

I wasn't so keen on:

* the debris at the edge of the beach [looked like tree bark shavings]. It made the beach look very cluttered and uninviting.

* the rolling of the eyes or sighing by a couple of the restaurant staff [it must have been a long, hot summer for them!]

... and the rest

I'm afraid I was very lazy and didn't go on any other trips as this was to be more of a relaxing holiday for me. Those who went on the other trips said that they were good although Amalfi and Ravello was a long way in the bus but worth it.

I used the local bus. It only cost one euro to go to Santa Maria or Castellabate. The latter is a beautiful, hilltop village which I visited again on my last day as I thought it was so atmospheric.

Any little niggles didn't spoil my holiday in the least and I hope those who weren't happy with things will let JY know. I made new friends and, after wishing to go there for almost 3 years, I loved it.

katy1717
(Member)
Hi Rae, thanks for this review, good to know this is still an enjoyable trip. I went a few years ago, before the spa was built. I very much enjoyed it and would like to return some day. I did do the Amalfi and Ravello excursion as I hadn't been there before - a long day but worth it (but wouldn't need to do it again when I return).

Katy

Bosuncat
(Member)
I've been twice and would happily go back anytime! I do know what you mean about the private beach though. I think it is stuff from the trees near by but it doesn't make the beach look very inviting. Lovely area of Italy. Not sampled the spa yet so you never know! :thumbup:
marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi,

I remember this holiday well. Only used the private beach once though to do a bit of swimming!

Mark

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

I've been twice and would happily go back anytime! I do know what you mean about the private beach though. I think it is stuff from the trees near by but it doesn't make the beach look very inviting. Lovely area of Italy. Not sampled the spa yet so you never know! :thumbup:

Are you thinking a third time?

Mark

Bosuncat
(Member)
'marks' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Mark

It's always in the back of my mind Mark because I love the place so much. Just to mooch about, and hopefully have the licquorice ice cream again. 😛

RaeW
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'marks' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Mark

I'd definitely go back again if I felt like a relaxing holiday.

Bosuncat, the Spa area is so modern and relaxing. I'm sure I wasn't in all the different steam and salt rooms downstairs. Upstairs is different again with the jacuzzi, massage jets and rooftop bubble beds.I treated myself to a full body massage too - excellent!

Bosuncat
(Member)
'RaeW' wrote:

'marks' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Mark

I'd definitely go back again if I felt like a relaxing holiday.

Bosuncat, the Spa area is so modern and relaxing. I'm sure I wasn't in all the different steam and salt rooms downstairs. Upstairs is different again with the jacuzzi, massage jets and rooftop bubble beds.I treated myself to a full body massage too - excellent!

Thanks Rae.

They were more advanced with the Spa the last time I went but have not been since it was finished, so you never know. :thumbup:

Bosuncat
(Member)
Rae. I meant to ask you and forgot. Last time I went the menu at night was buffet and you ordered either fish or meat and it was bought to your table. Have they discontinued that to go back to waiter service? Also did JY have their own set menu? I personally preferred the buffet service (like in the morning), as my one complaint the first time I went was the slowish service at night.

Weirdly enough the only complaints I have seen on TA have been about the quality of the food which I don't agree with unless it has changed radically which would be a shame.

RaeW
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

Rae. I meant to ask you and forgot. Last time I went the menu at night was buffet and you ordered either fish or meat and it was bought to your table. Have they discontinued that to go back to waiter service? Also did JY have their own set menu? I personally preferred the buffet service (like in the morning), as my one complaint the first time I went was the slowish service at night.

Weirdly enough the only complaints I have seen on TA have been about the quality of the food which I don't agree with unless it has changed radically which would be a shame.

Bosuncat, It was waiter service at night. The first night we didn't get our meal until well after 9pm. They said it was because it was the first night of a new menu. By the time we ate the decibels had increased dramatically as the wine was going down well! There were several complaints re the food even when they decided to give us our own menu for 5 nights. There were 3 choices for starter and main and sometimes an unimaginative choice of two puddings. I was happy with the food. Being gluten intolerant wasn't a big problem. The service speeded up as the week went on.

Bosuncat
(Member)
'RaeW' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

Bosuncat, It was waiter service at night. The first night we didn't get our meal until well after 9pm. They said it was because it was the first night of a new menu. By the time we ate the decibels had increased dramatically as the wine was going down well! There were several complaints re the food even when they decided to give us our own menu for 5 nights. There were 3 choices for starter and main and sometimes an unimaginative choice of two puddings. I was happy with the food. Being gluten intolerant wasn't a big problem. The service speeded up as the week went on.

Thanks for that Rae. Slow service is a pain. :thumbup::thumbup:

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
One of so many holidays not available in the school holidays. I love the sound of this destination.
nige0556
(Member)
While I fully appreciate the difficulties for teachers in holiday choices, I can only assume that the reason for the dearth of JY holidays during school holidays is that market research / booking history tells them that a lot of solo travellers don't want to go on the sort of relaxing holiday that this is described as when places are more likely to be over-run with shouting and screaming children.
SarahS
(Member)
I agree nige. Also, I would quess if rooms are available in peak season for sole occupancy, the price would be prohibitive for most travellers.
Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
Fully agree with what you both say. It does mean though, that I am unlikely to be travelling with JY next year. I love these hols, but will be travelling with different company or under my own steam. Similar position in 2010 and 2007. Travelling alone is fine, but gets lonely at meal times.
SamanthaC
(Member)
'Gwyn' wrote:

[...] Travelling alone is fine, but gets lonely at meal times.

I'm never alone with a book! And, to be honest, I usually end up meeting lovely people which I wouldn't have done, had I had a companion 🙂