Marion F
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Overall this was a great holiday in an excellent hotel.

I flew from Gatwick, where there was a JY rep to help us check in. We sat in the plane for an hour before takeoff with no apparent reason - perhaps we had missed our slot.

On arrival at Faro airport, there was a local JY rep who checked us off her list as we arrived. We set off in the coach to our hotel, but after about half an hour were surprised to find ourselves back at Faro airport. We had left behind a member of our group in the toilet. The rep had failed to count us up on the coach.

We arrived at the hotel just before 4pm, where our tour manager Gina met us, and advised us to go straight into lunch as it was just closing. So we had rather an unexpectedly late lunch, due to the delay at Gatwick and our return to Faro airport.

The food in the hotel was always very good with an excellent choice, although as has been mentioned elsewhere, it wasn't always that hot. There was always a section with local specialities, and one evening this was an excellent seafood buffet. The meals were all help-yourself buffets, with red, white and rose wine at lunch and dinner literally on tap from large boxes. However the red wine was so rough - almost like vinegar- that it proved undrinkable for most of us. We got round this by getting red wine from the bar, which came out of a bottle, not a box.

The restaurant and bar were both a bit understaffed. We frequently had to wait in the morning for hot water for the tea, or for the coffee which was served directly to you in a jug. There was sometimes a wait for food to be replenished which had run out. There was usually only one girl on duty in the bar.

The 'all-inclusive' worked very well, with a good selection of alcoholic and soft drinks available all day until 11pm. There was also afternoon tea/coffee and cake for those who could manage it after a large lunch. I spent very little money all week.

The hotel was an attractive building, with a lovely sandy beach, with safe swimming, down a short path through sand dunes. The outdoor swimming pool was a bit too chilly for me. You had to pay €10 for the indoor swimming pool. There were always plenty of free sun loungers available around the pool. You had to pay €6 for 4 hours for the sun beds on the beach. This was never a problem as a few of us tended to share the shade from one sun lounger.

The rooms in the hotel were very good - clean and spacious. However the view from the rooms varied a lot, from looking directly out on to the car park, to rooms with a lovely balcony with sea view. These seemed to be in short supply, and very few of our group had managed to obtain rooms with balconies. It seems that you have to book early to get one.

There were several included excursions, and an optional bird watching excursion, which were all very good. Most of us chose not to do all of them, as we wanted a couple of days to relax by the pool or on the beach. 7 days seemed quite short to see everything, maybe 10 days would have been better.

Unfortunately about halfway through the week, a number of people suffered from a sickness and diarrhoea bug. There were 39 of us, and about 170 in a Saga group, as well as a large number of other guests in the hotel, and of course we all ate at close quarters in the restaurant. We heard that about half a dozen of the Saga group had Norovirus, though I don't know if it was actually this or just a bug of some sort. Some people in our group were quite ill, and I went off my food for a few days. The hotel didn't appear to do anything to stop the spread of it. A couple of containers of hand gel appeared near reception, and at the entrance to the restaurant, but most people didn't bother to use it, and the hotel made no attempt to try and get people to use it. We heard that there had been a similar outbreak a couple of weeks previously.

Apart from this, it was a great holiday with some lovely people in our group, and we had a lot of fun. There was entertainment in the hotel both in the daytime and evening. Gina was friendly and well organised (unlike the rep at Faro airport), and everything ran smoothly. I would definitely go back again.

(Member)
Hi Marion,

Thank you for the review of your trip. I will pass your concerns of the bug that was being passed around to the relevant members of the JY team, as hygiene is a very important thing for us.

Kindest Regards,

Monty

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thanks for your review Marion.

I had just returned from the same holiday this time last year. I enjoyed the all inclusive experience and probably like you spent very little money. :P

So sorry to hear about the sickness bug 😕 I hope that everyone is recovered now. I know that one of our group was poorly for a day or so, but I don't remember it being overly serious. I do remember the food not being overly hot in the buffet. I tended to be honest to eat cold most of the week.

I liked the hotel, and my room was great. I suffered a lot with the heat and the humidity, and didn't find the area particulary interesting although I wanted to go on the bird watching trip, but was struggling to walk by that time because of my feet being so swollen so I missed out on another of the trips I did want to do.

It was a nice relaxing holiday though and the beach was great.

suer
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went on this holiday second week of September and had a great time, no problems with any sickness. Thought the hotel was excellent. Only downside was that there wasn't anywhere to go nearby in the evenings for a change of scenery i.e. bars etc, you had to go into town if you wanted to, which was 10 mins in a taxi. Overall a good hotel and worth paying extra for sea view with balcony.
lizabc
(Member)
Hi Marion, Interesting to read your review. Sorry to hear about the problems you had. For anyone else thinking of booking this holiday, I went on 8th September. As far as I'm aware no-one became ill in our very sociable group of 40. The wine at lunch and dinner was bottled and very nice. We possibly drank the hotel's full supply! There wasn't a Saga group staying during our week either. I found the beach and pool area to be clean with plenty of sunbeds. Service at the bar and in the restaurant was very efficient. I wonder if staff numbers had been reduced during Marion's week, as high season has passed? I regretted not going on the bird watching trip - but could happily return for another relaxing week. :thumbup:

Liz

SarahS
(Member)
The dangers of cooked food being left on buffets at the wrong temperature as a cause of food poisoning is well documented. I hope JY will be taking this up with the hotel.
Marion F
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks very much for your comments everyone. If I go again next year, I'll try and go a couple of weeks earlier and hope that the service in the restaurant and bar will be better staffed. We also heard that the evening entertainment had been outside prior to our week, which may have helped to reduce the spread of any bugs.
Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

When I went on this holiday May 2013 no one was ill. If people did not bother to use the hand gel provided, there is not much the hotel can do to make them. After all they are all grown up people and should know better!

Jaya

elliejane
(Member)
I went on this holiday 1st September. There seemed to be plenty of staff then. However there were 2 or 3 people were also ill in our group with a tummy bug. The explanation we were given was that there were lots of virus s going around at the time of our visit. There were questions about whether it was the chicken. Interesting that the tummy bug keeps recurring.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi all, on virtually all the tours I've done a couple of people (at least) have had upset stomachs - this is generally down to getting "holiday tummy" as our systems react to different bacteria to what we are used to at home. I take Boots Digestion Support Travel pills nowadays and find they generally help (though not on my most recent holiday to the Balkans - but I only took the European dose of one pill a day when perhaps I should have taken the long haul dose of two a day?!). Having said that, Marion's experience sounds more widespread so it could well have been a virus rather than traveller's tummy. It's hard to say but I wouldn't be quick to blame the hotel when it could well be the case of our delicate systems getting a culture shock!

Cheers,

Bob

Flyawaygrandma
(Member)
'Moderator' wrote:

Hi Marion,

Thank you for the review of your trip. I will pass your concerns of the bug that was being passed around to the relevant members of the JY team, as hygiene is a very important thing for us.

Kindest Regards,

Monty

Worryingly There seems to be a problem with stomach upsets at this hotel. I am booked to go there at the end of May for the third time. I love the hotel and the position on the beach. However last time I was there my friend and I were both ill with sickness...I started the night before our return and had a very uncomfortable journey home.  I have also seen other posts on here about sickness.

Maybe Just You should be looking into the hygiene in the kitchens? It would not stop me going but I don't relish another journey home like the last one.

This is the only holiday I have been on where this has happened and my friend is never I'll with tummy bugs normally.

Essa
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi

l'm a bit worried after reading these's posts about sickness bugs at the hotel in Costa de la Luz. l am going 17th May  thinking l should change my holiday. Any positives. Tessa

(Member)