katy1717
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Really enjoyed this trip, much more interesting than I thought it would be and the pace of the trip, with visits etc and free time worked well. There were 29 of us, a usual JY mix, everybody seemed to get along well. We had a good TM - Tom - who lived locally and his local knowledge really added to the trip, especially his help with the restaurants on the 3 nights that weren't included - he made reservations where necessary and we split up a bit so we didn't overwhelm the restaurants and then we split onto tables of 4ish.

Flew out Friday PM, arrived Toulouse where Tom (TM) and bus were waiting for us. Good bus and driver. Arrived at hotel in Albi - Grand Hotel D'Orleans - well located, not far to walk to centre. Welcome meal at hotel. Hotel had wifi, sometimes at bit spotty but not too bad. Breakfast a buffet and a bit basic, would have liked a couple of hot options. Staff very helpful and friendly. Pool (not tried), bar and restaurant. Room clean and comfortable, usual stuff but no frills.

Day 2. Walking tour of Albi, including into Gothic Cathedral. Medieval streets, world heritage site, overlooking the Tarn river - a lovely city. Had a French guide, her English a bit pants, not great. We were free at lunchtime to find something to eat - lots of options - and free afternoon. Most of us went to the Toulouse-Lautrec Museum, which was interesting. That evening most of us met at a bar in Albi, suggested by TM, before we split into 2 groups to go to 2 nearby restaurants and were on tables of 4 - the same procedure the next night and we just changed restaurants. Both restaurants very good. The third not included restaurant evening was on the long day to Carcassonne and most of us opted to stay in the hotel, although some others followed Tom's recommendations and tried other Albi restaurants.

Days 3-5. included visits to fortified villages, other towns, hill towns and small villages. These small medieval locations all very interesting in different ways - think I liked Najac the best, beautiful views approaching it across a valley on a steep hill, fortress at the top which I walked up a steep hill to and then climbed the many stairs to the top of the tower. On one of the days we had a picnic lunch, organised by TM and we bought stuff from local market and sat in a very quiet square. One afternoon we went to a winery for a wine tasting - do like wine tastings!

On the day we went to Carcassonne we arrived midday after a morning visit to Castres. Had lunch first then explored, large area and lots to see, walked round the high battlements of the castle, visited the church, generally walked around - was more you could have done if time, but an afternoon was plenty for me.

We had a final farewell meal included in the hotel the evening before we flew home, this was much better than the first evening we arrived (which hadn't been bad).

Overall, I can really recommend this trip. Lots to see and do but somehow not too "busy". The weather was pleasant and not too hot about 68-70F so just right for me.

Katy

SarahS
(Member)
Thank you for reviewing your tour. It's one I would really like to do.
BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Katy, thanks for this review - I enjoyed reading it and this is a tour I'd like to do one day. Just wish it was a couple of days longer, but it sounds like it is a well structured tour with lots of lovely places to see.

All the best,

Bob

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi katy

A very interesting review from a part of the world of real interest to me.

Glad you enjoyed the holiday!

Mark

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Katy

Good review, and I have heard people talk about how nice this tour is when I have been away, might do this one one day.

Cindy

Gwyn
  • (Member)
(Member)
I really appreciate this detailed and exceptionally helpful review. I may well book this for next year. Having read your report, I'm really tempted! Thanks for taking the time to do this.
wendy57
(Member)
Hi Katy

Thanks for the information, I am going on this holiday this Friday 2nd October and hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Wendy

Bosuncat
(Member)
Thank you for the review. It's somewhere I would still like to do. :thumbup:
katy1717
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'wendy57' wrote:

Hi Katy

Thanks for the information, I am going on this holiday this Friday 2nd October and hope I enjoy it as much as you did.

Wendy

Hi Wendy, I'm sure you will be fine. I think you will have the same TM - Tom - as we did, I think he said he was going to be doing this tour. He's local and his help with sorting us out with Albi's restaurants, which he knew well, was a real bonus - there are lots of options and without his help it would have been a bit hit and miss.

Katy