Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Battlefields – 18 – 21 September 2015

Here is a brief review of the Battlefields Trip from which I have just returned. There were 9 of us, 8 women and one man plus the Tour Manager, Steve Hookings. This is the smallest group I have travelled with and it was a great experience. This was Steve’s first Just You experience as a Tour Manager and he really excelled. Steve’s expertise in Battlefields is extraordinary and he works at Royal Artillery Museum. Because of his passion and expertise, we were able to see and experience more on this short trip.

Day 1 – Friday 18 September

Train was on time and it was a pleasant journey. This was my first time on Euro Star and I enjoyed the experience. Being a very small group, we had a chance to get to know everyone apart from Jim who had been upgraded. We arrived at the hotel, Novotel, at around 14:00. Check-in was very quick – about 5 minutes. After settling in, we all set out at 15:00 and walked to the Square in Lille. Steve pointed out things of interest and also showed us some eating places. We also visited the Cathedral. The weather was dry when we set out, but it soon started raining. The rain shower did not last though it kept on raining on and off throughout the evening. The group separated for a while. I did not have a wish to wander any more so went and had a drink with Steve and we were then joined by a couple of others. We walked back to the hotel and had some free time before meeting for the welcome drink at 6.30 p.m. Everyone apart from Jim, Steve and I went out for dinner. Three of us decided to dine in the hotel.

Day 2 – Saturday 19 September

We set out at 10:00 a.m. after a leisurely breakfast. First stop was Talbot House where we first visited the museum followed by visiting Talbot House. Cup of tea or coffee is offered by volunteers for those who wish to have a drink. It was a fascinating house – I did not go up to the last floor where the chapel was as the steps were a bit steep and there were quite a few people though I did get a chance to see what the Chapel looked like at the Flanders Field Museum. After lunch in Poperinge, we headed to Ypres Salient and then Tyne Cot Cemetery. On the way we made a stop at the Essex Farm Cemetery where we paid respect to the grave of 15 year old Valentine Sturdwick. We also saw the West Riding Monument and made a further brief stop at the ‘Brooding Soldier’ memorial. This is the memorial to the Canadian soldiers who fell victim to the first gas attack. After visiting Tyne Cot Cemetery, Steve took us to Hooge Museum and Crater. He wanted to take us to see the original British Trenches behind another museum, but the road was closed due to a cycle race. For price of €1 you could enter the site where Hooge crater, now filled with water, is and there is also a display of remnants of empty shell cases, gas cylinders, shrapnel, rolls of unused barbed wire, etc and you can also view the trenches. The entry to the museum was €5 and it was worth every cent. A very interesting museum indeed. We then went to Ypres where we had a short walking tour. A band playing in the square was a delight. We all went to a pub/restaurant for early dinner before walking to the Menin Gate for the Last Post Ceremony. This was a moving occasion. We got back to the hotel at about 10:30 p.m.

Day 3 – 20 September

Today was an early start at 08:00. The first visit was to Beaumont Hamel Newfoundland Memorial Park on the site of Somme Battlefield. I found this visit very moving. Just thinking about all the young men buried under the fields and trenches made me very sad. The Canadians have kept the site in very good condition and despite the horrible events that occurred years ago, it is a very peaceful place. The next stop was at Thiepval Anglo-French Memorial, the largest British Memorial in the world. We made a brief stop at the Ulster Tower for refreshments. Steve took us on a short walk to the fields to view a German machine gun dug-out. You could see what a good view the machine gunner had. Three of us, including Steve walked along the edge of a field to see if we could find anything – I found a very small piece of German green bottle, Stella found a couple of small shrapnel pieces and you would never guess what I found next?! I found a very clean unexploded grenade. Steve, being an expert was able to tell that the pin was still there. The grenade was taken by Steve to be placed safely with other unexploded war finds to be disposed of safely by the French Army. Steve said this was the best find he has seen so far. We then visited Vimy Ridge and the tunnels. After that Steve took us to see The Lochnagar Crater at La Boisselle. The crater was formed on 1 July 1916 when several mines, meant to destroy parts of the German front line and create huge craters, were blown. The men who leapt out of their positions at 7.30 a.m. had no idea they were going towards certain death. This mine crater is 91 metres in diameter and 21 metres in depth. One has to see it to believe this. The crater is the property of Richard Dunning, an Englishman who bought it in 1978 to preserve it. I felt very privileges to have had a chance to see this crater and the Memorial. We returned to the hotel just before 6.00 p.m. and had farewell dinner at 07:30 p.m.

Day 4 – 21 September

We left the hotel at 09:00 a.m. and travelled to Ypres to visit the In Flanders Field Museum. A few of us climbed to the bell tower to see the wonderful views. Again, I found the museum very interesting though one would have to spend a lot of time to see everything in detail. After the viewing, we had free time for shopping and sightseeing before meeting up for lunch at 13:00 at the same place where we had dinner on the second day as food was very good there. We left Ypres at 14:30 and the driver dropped us at the train station where we had a bit of a wait for the train as we arrived early. The train was on time and we arrived at St Pancras just after 18:00.

The hotel was in a good location, rooms comfortable and clean. Our farewell dinner was a two course set meal - I had omelette, chips and salad and the rest had chicken, chips and salad. Dessert was Apple Pie and cream - the Apple Pie was delicious. You were given one small bottle of water everyday. I also purchased two 2 litre bottles of Avian water from the small supermarket near the hotel. Could not believe how cheap it was compared to UK prices!

This was a very moving and interesting tour with a great group of people and amazing Tour Manager, Steve. Just You should consider using Steve if they ever plan to do more Battlefields Tours as he has an extensive knowledge. We were also very lucky with the weather, especially on Sunday when it was really hot and sunny - a beautiful day to visit Somme Battlefields.

With best wishes

Jaya

(Member)
Hi Jaya,

A great review, sounds like you had a fantastic time. Are you looking forward to your next holiday?

Kindest Regards,

Monty

Hunt
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya,

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a moving experience, with a bit of excitement from the grenade! I'm not sure I would have liked finding that.

Ian

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you jaya! Was a very good read! I wish I'd done this tour from the one In April. Maybe next year ill try this as we missed alot out from the places you went to. The last post was my favourite bit !
janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Jaya,

What a great review. Not so sure about the grenade though 🙂 Steve sounds amazing and full of knowledge- sure does help.

Jan

Bosuncat
(Member)
Great review as always Jaya. :thumbup: Glad you had a good time.
Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty

Yes, am already counting the days for the next one to Kerala in November!

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jaya

Great reveiw, and fancy you finding the grenade!!!.. I am so glad that JY put the battlefield tours on, I really enjoyed the May one, the bonus was meeting up with Elaine Mark and Jan

Cindy

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'wanny' wrote:

Thank you jaya! Was a very good read! I wish I'd done this tour from the one In April. Maybe next year ill try this as we missed alot out from the places you went to. The last post was my favourite bit !

Hi wanny.

I went on this trip in May and i concur with everything Jaya has said. Its fun, interesting and solemn!

Thanks

Mark

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Monty

Yes, am already counting the days for the next one to Kerala in November!

Jaya

Kerala in November? Lucky you...

Great review Jaya!

Mark

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Jaya

Great reveiw, and fancy you finding the grenade!!!.. I am so glad that JY put the battlefield tours on, I really enjoyed the May one, the bonus was meeting up with Elaine Mark and Jan

Cindy

Indeed, i remember the holiday fondly. Especially the second day when i completely overslept.

Mark

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Wanny

Apparently Steve is an expert on Battlefields and he tweaked the itinerary so that we got to see many more interesting places. Finding the grenade was the icing on the cake!

Jaya

Jaya
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Cindy

Glad you liked the review. It would have been nice to come in May so I could have met a few of my fellow Community users, but hope there will be other opportunities to meet them. Will be seeing Bob again in May next year for the Borneo trip.

Jaya

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Cindy

Glad you liked the review. It would have been nice to come in May so I could have met a few of my fellow Community users, but hope there will be other opportunities to meet them. Will be seeing Bob again in May next year for the Borneo trip.

Jaya

Jaya

Yes your getting to spend time with Bob again and to meet others from forum Sally, hills and others I am missing out on this forum meeting

turnke
(Member)
Hi Jaya

Thank you for a great review,I am currently in Lille visiting the

Loos Battlefield,but,before I return on Sunday,I am going to Ypres so very interested in what you said about it.

Keith

wanny
  • (Member)
(Member)
'marks' wrote:

'wanny' wrote:

Hi wanny.

I went on this trip in May and i concur with everything Jaya has said. Its fun, interesting and solemn!

Thanks

Mark

Hi guys, yes when I went flounders museum was closed as was late in day and missed a lot from what you both saw.

Ann

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Wanny

I think you went in the normal tour, Jaya, Elaine mark and I were on the specific battlefields tour which was/is slightly different I think?

Cindy

sallyc
(Member)
Don't worry Cindy - I won't be joining the 'Forum Fanatics Frolic' in Borneo either - I went a few years back with the opposition. We'll have the forum all to ourselves for two weeks......!

Sally

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Don't worry Cindy - I won't be joining the 'Forum Fanatics Frolic' in Borneo either - I went a few years back with the opposition. We'll have the forum all to ourselves for two weeks......!

Sally

Sally

Sounds a great tour, I must admit..just imagine the peace n quiet we shall have while they ARE all AWAY!!!

So what have you got your eye on for 2016-17

Cindy

sallyc
(Member)
So far I have Cuba in THREE WEEKS (yippee) and Mexico, Guatemala & Belize in Feb then a whole lot of indecisiveness (if that is a word!).