janib
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from a brilliant weekend. Was slightly worried when you could see Leicester Marriott Hotel from M69 and a massive traffic jam on the M1/ M69 roundabout. No Sat Nav, just remember you need the A 563 S and then the hotel is well signposted.

The hotel was very comfortable, tea and coffee provided in the rooms which I was not expecting.

Sally the TM was there to greet us, welcome drinks and a meal before bed and an early start.

Bosworth Field is as they say- a field. There is a path, dirt and stones. Luckily for us it was a foggy day and not raining. Two ladies had shoes that were not suitable- warning should be given in the brochure ;)

Liz our guide was very funny and knowledgable. By the sound of it, history has been rewritten in the past 3 years, who knows which field the battle was in !!

The Centre has a very clever hands on set up. I ran a metal detector over some earth and you could see the metal below in the glass front.

Leicester has had to change all its documents since Richard was dug up. The Centre gave us lunch, another surprise that I was not expecting. It is also quite confusing that the famous carpark does not excist anymore. They have built a building with a glass window around the plot where they found his body. A light display shows the skeleton and where it laid for the last 500 years. You have several hours to wander around the Museum and then across to the Cathedral and Richard llls tomb. Most impressive. £3 donation is requested.

Returned to the hotel where we had dinner and a quiz- great fun.

This morning, breakfast and remember if you are driving to ask for a free car park ticket to get out. For those who took the train, a lot of disgruntled guests who paid upto £16 for a taxi- being Friday- moaned that it was only supposed to be 2.5 miles- they forgot it was Friday afternoon and traffic was heavy and stuck :(

Sally the TM took great care and made sure we were all there for each stop. Thank you Sally :)

Jan

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Great review Jan. I personally always take some comfortable shoes on every holiday as you never know when you will need them. I try not to wear heels during day time whilst on holiday as there is always some walking to do.

Jaya

JYTM Sally
(Member)
Hi Jan. I am really pleased you had a good weekend, it was a great group and we were so lucky with the weather. I hope you enjoyed the Space Centre and had a good drive home. Sally

'janib' wrote:

Just returned from a brilliant weekend. Was slightly worried when you could see Leicester Marriott Hotel from M69 and a massive traffic jam on the M1/ M69 roundabout. No Sat Nav, just remember you need the A 563 S and then the hotel is well signposted.

The hotel was very comfortable, tea and coffee provided in the rooms which I was not expecting.

Sally the TM was there to greet us, welcome drinks and a meal before bed and an early start.

Bosworth Field is as they say- a field. There is a path, dirt and stones. Luckily for us it was a foggy day and not raining. Two ladies had shoes that were not suitable- warning should be given in the brochure ;)

Liz our guide was very funny and knowledgable. By the sound of it, history has been rewritten in the past 3 years, who knows which field the battle was in !!

The Centre has a very clever hands on set up. I ran a metal detector over some earth and you could see the metal below in the glass front.

Leicester has had to change all its documents since Richard was dug up. The Centre gave us lunch, another surprise that I was not expecting. It is also quite confusing that the famous carpark does not excist anymore. They have built a building with a glass window around the plot where they found his body. A light display shows the skeleton and where it laid for the last 500 years. You have several hours to wander around the Museum and then across to the Cathedral and Richard llls tomb. Most impressive. £3 donation is requested.

Returned to the hotel where we had dinner and a quiz- great fun.

This morning, breakfast and remember if you are driving to ask for a free car park ticket to get out. For those who took the train, a lot of disgruntled guests who paid upto £16 for a taxi- being Friday- moaned that it was only supposed to be 2.5 miles- they forgot it was Friday afternoon and traffic was heavy and stuck :(

Sally the TM took great care and made sure we were all there for each stop. Thank you Sally :)

Jan

Mick W
(Member)
Agree with Jaya & Jan comfy walking shoes are a good idea on virtually every holiday i've been on. In fact i often take 2 pairs of trainers (travel in one) for day use (alternate days) plus some smart shoes (not heels before anyone asks, lol) for an evening.

Possibly sandals as well for hotter climates, but thats us men plenty of pairs of shoes are essential.

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jan

Sound like you had a fun time, I always travel with comfy shoes.

Cindy

janib
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello All,

Just reread my review and realised that I had not put a piece between the two centres. The metal detector was at Bosworth, then lunch was at Leicester in the Centre opposite the Cathedral :blush:

Forgot also to add that there is Wifi only in Reception at the hotel.

Yes Sally I did go to the Space Centre- it was very good. The Planetarium was excellent and well worth the £13 entrance fee :)

Jan

Bosuncat
(Member)
Glad it was a good trip Jan!! :thumbup:

Yes. Sensible shoes are always needed!

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Mick

No high heels on even Saturday nights?!!

Jaya

JYTM Sally
(Member)
Great, glad you enjoyed it, well orth the visit as you were so close.Sally

'janib' wrote:

Hello All,

Just reread my review and realised that I had not put a piece between the two centres. The metal detector was at Bosworth, then lunch was at Leicester in the Centre opposite the Cathedral :blush:

Forgot also to add that there is Wifi only in Reception at the hotel.

Yes Sally I did go to the Space Centre- it was very good. The Planetarium was excellent and well worth the £13 entrance fee :)

Jan

Mick W
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Mick

No high heels on even Saturday nights?!!

Jaya

Sometimes make an allowance if it doesn't throw me over the 23kg allowance for hold luggage.:cool: