Toni2909
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I have not been yet - my departure date is 5th October. As it's new for this year, there are no historic reviews, so I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has done this tour this year and has anything to say about it generally, and also the optional excursions?

Toni

Roamer
(Member)
Toni. I did this tour in May and really enjoyed it

The food could have been better in the Hotel Stanley in Athens , but was good in the other hotels.

I did all the optional excursions and they were all very good.

I think , quite honestly , you would be at a loose end if you didn't do them.

We had good local guides at all the archaeological sites. Exhausting , but worth it !

Our tour manager , Sue , was helpful and friendly and It was a lovely group of fellow travellers.

sim1
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Toni,

I to would like to hear a review about the trip, from anyone who has been, a couple of things have been said on Feefo.

In particular about the hotel in Athens, Hotel Stanley I believe.

A very mixed bag of reviews on trip adviser, on the hotel.

So anyone who has completed this new trip, please could you do a review. Thanks

Grecos
(Member)
'Toni2909' wrote:

I have not been yet - my departure date is 5th October. As it's new for this year, there are no historic reviews, so I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has done this tour this year and has anything to say about it generally, and also the optional excursions?

Toni

Hi Toni,

I have lived in Greece for nearly 35 years, so I suppose I should be able to make some comments. In a nutshell, the included excursions are all absolute musts &, for example, the train ride is very scenic & I think you'll be moved in Kalavryta by the memorial to those massacared in WWII. Generally you'll be seeing a great variety of the beautiful countryside that this land has to offer. My one reservation would be the optional to Cape Sounion. Yes, it's a lovely ride along the coast but there is quite extensive work going on at the site (at least there was 6 months ago), and the temple is cordoned off so, quite rightly, you are no longer able to go clambering between the columns looking for the supposed graffiti of Lord Byron. I am quite ready to be corrected on this, but I'd say give that one a miss if you are watching youur budget....you should have many opportunities to enjoy sunsets elsewhere.

Sheila

Toni2909
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks guys. Very helpful comments and suggestions. I think I'll go for all the optional excursions as I've never been to Greece and want to see as much as I can.

Maybe JY can have words with the hotel in Athens that has had some bad comments, Julia? I know you listen to traveller's comments and do your best to respond to them!

Now I am worried about what is actually happening in Greece at the moment and what the economic situation will be when we get there (dare I say, if we get there?) I suppose the JY team will be watching the situation carefully.

Toni

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Toni,

So I've just had a chat with our customer care team who have informed me that there had been some issues with the hotel in the past, and as they always do, they keep a very close eye on performance and the last couple of departures have had much improved feedback.

In terms of what is happening in Greece.... At the moment we are planning to carry on operating holidays to Greece as normal. Many other Holiday Operators have also pledged to continue to visit this country. That said, we do always monitor the situation and should this change, travellers would be contacted. There is a lot of scaremongering in the press at the moment, we are lucky that not only do we take advice from the FCO, we also have our overseas suppliers giving us updates and tour managers who are living in Greece.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Toni2909
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good to know. Thanks Julia.

I certainly want to go ahead with my holiday and really hope that circumstances don't deteriorate too badly. Fingers crossed!

Toni

Overseas
(Member)
Hello, I went on this tour in May. The Hotel Stanley can be a little noisy, but the roof-top deck is spectacular. For that reason alone, I think it would be a shame if Just You dropped this hotel from the tour. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Take ear plugs and remember you are in Athens, not the UK. The view of the acropolis at night is breathtaking. The location is perfect.
Overseas
(Member)
I did this tour in May.The hotel Stanley in Athens has a fabulous roof-top bar with view of the Acropolis. Outstanding. One of the highlights of my trip. And the best breakfast buffet of the tour. I felt it was an authentically Greek hotel. Enjoy!
sue1305
(Member)
Hi

I have just booked this trip for may this year. What was the weather like. Did you need a jacket or anything in the evenings or was it warm enough without. Also what was the transfer time between the airport and the hotel.

Any information about this trip would be hepful.

Thanks

Sue.

Grecos
(Member)
Hi Sue,

I have lived in Athens for the last 35 years so I suppose I should be able to talk weather, but things are so unpredicatable these days. I left for Thailand before Christmas at a chilly 5C to find it about 12C in London. We had a little snow over New Year in the northern suburbs of Athens I'm told, but this is always very unlikely in central Athens. Today was glorious at about 17-18C. February is usually our worst month but by May things should be considerably improved, if not necessarily swimming weather for all. May 1st is our orthodox Greek Easter this year & the sign for everyone to get into summer mode! I think you should certainly have a light jacket, cardigan or warm shawl with you as the sun will be setting 7.15 to 7.30 & places like Sounion can catch the wind. Forgotten to check the itinerary but, for example, Delphi is set in some impressive mountain countryside where again things are cooler than on the plains. Essential would be a good pair of walking shoes or sandals as pavements & historical sites are notoriously uneven.The transfer time to your hotel will totally depend on your arrival time & the very noisy, hectic traffic. I'm sure the driver may chose to change the route accordingly, but will at least start off on a 3 lane motorway built for the 2004 Olympics, which is fairly effortless. At any event, it should take less than an hour. Let me know if I can be of any other help.

Sheila

sim1
  • (Member)
(Member)
See JY still hasn't changed Hotel Stanley, In Athens, yes the view is good from the roof terrace, but the hotel is very poor, 4 star it definitely isn't, I had a so called upgraded room for the first part of the trip, I have never had such a poor hotel with JY, as this tour, so be warned. And for all those you only sleep there replies, just try it, old clapped out air conditioning, very, and I mean very hard beds, and the hotel in disrepair.

This trip was only saved by the Hotel Nafpaktos, which is so superior to the Stanley you wonder why its not a 5 star.

You will see. JY get your finger out and ditch the Stanley