magpie10
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I returned from this tour a few days ago and thought I'd post my review:

Day 1 - Met everyone at Heathrow, and our excellent tour guide, Philip Jones, got everyone seated together in departure lounge, this meant we all got chatting to each other prior to departure, which relaxed a lot of people so was very beneficial. There were 27 of us on the tour, 4 men and the rest women. Hotel in Prague very nice and close to local tram station (about 15 mins walk). I only took Euros but changed a small amount into local currency at hotel reception. Philip took those who wanted to go into Prague by tram, this cost equivalent of about £1 for 90 minutes, so enough time to get to Prague and back and spend around an hour there. Food ok, though main meal didn't have much choice and none that I could see for vegetarian - all meals were buffet style.

Day 2 - Had 4 hour guided tour round Prague on foot (had coffee stop half-way through). Saw castle, gardens, squares, walked across Charles Bridge, finished up at the Astronomical Clock at 1pm to see it chime. Had 3 hours free time in Prague, though you could stay longer and make your own way back to the hotel if you wished. Prague is a beautiful city and this taster provided a good overview of the city.

Day 3 - Set off for Austria via Telc. Telc is a beautiful little town, the houses are all brightly painted, got lunch very reasonably here, and wandered round gardens at the chateau. Had another stop before crossing the Austrian border and reaching our central hotel. Hotel clean and high standard, serving set meals which I found excellent, hotel also within walking distance of Vienna.

Day 4 - Had coach tour round Vienna for 3 hours, stopping at palace for 1/2 an hour - weather not brilliant but rain wasn't heavy so it didn't spoil it for any of us. Tour stopped at Hunderwasser Haus which was very colourful. Had 4 hours free time so had good look around. Went round St Stephen's cathedral as best we could as mass was taking place so didn't see all of it. Had lovely coffee and cake in local cafe and saw the Spanish riding school. Had optional Mozart and Strauss concert this evening, this was very good, and very light-hearted and funny, so very enjoyable.

Day 5 - Visited monastery, mass had just taken place and celebration of the harvest, so local brass band were playing - this was magical to see. Continued to Mayerling before going to Baden. Had lovely lunch and walked around Baden, including lovely rose garden and lake.

Day 6 - Left Vienna for Budapest via Eisenstadt. Had guided tour around Esterhazy Palace with excellent local guide. Stopped at roadside cafe over Hungarian border before reaching hotel. Again set meals, which I found excellent, and around 20 minute walk from centre of Budapest. Euros accepted widely, though I changed a little in case needed.

Day 7 - Had 3 hour guided tour round Buda and Pest (coach and foot). Saw Budapest from vantage point before going to Buda to view Parliament Buildings from opposite side of river. Had free time till 4, though you could walk back to hotel if you wanted. We walked along the river Danube, saw the shoes on the river side (very moving), the Parliament Buildings, etc. Budapest is a lovely city and the people very friendly. Philip organised a Budapest by night tour for us, this involved going by coach to the vantage point overlooking Budapest - which is totally different by night than during the day as it is really lit up and looks stunning, then we went on a boat ride with free champagne up and down the Danube for an hour - this was brilliant and seeing the Parliament Buildings close up by night was a real highlight for me, then we went back to Heroes Square to see that all lit up. This was a very worthwhile excursion and I think Just You should offer it as an option on all of these tours.

Day 8 - Left hotel at 11.30 so went to New York Cafe for last coffee and cake before leaving Budapest.

This was an excellent tour, though it's very hectic trying to fit 3 main cities into a week, so I'm just catching my breath now, but I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and met some lovely people. I must mention that Philip made this an even better holiday - he has so much knowledge of the areas visited and he was one of the best tour guides I've ever had.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi magpie10

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review - I've forwarded you comments on to the wider Just You team to read too.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Cimscate
(Member)
Thank for this great review, I'm thinking about doing this in 2015.....
Bosuncat
(Member)
Thank you Magpie! :thumbup
Kezzer46
(Member)
Hi Magpie,

Thank you for your excellent review. I looked at this holiday myself, but as I have already visited Prague and Vienna decided against it... reading your review makes me want to go back:)

Thanks

Kerry