sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Meeting Allison our TM at Gatwick got this holiday off to a good start. Then on arrival at Bari there was this smartly dressed man holding a large Just You board - Paolo - our happy, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and very safe driver.

The hotel was, for the main part, excellent. Breakfast was a wide choice buffet. Yes, we had to choose dinner at breakfast, but the choices were good and the food Puglian style. The rooms are large, clean, and basic with a balcony. Reception will give you login details for WiFi in your room, but don't rely on it. WiFi in the hotel reception and bar, with a different password is fine. The blocks where the rooms are have paper thin walls, and can be noisy. Crying babies and children discovering the joys of echos in the stair well do not make for late afternoon relaxation or a good night's sleep.

All the excursions had more than enough time to wander round, see the sights, and buy souvenirs. Most could have had half an hour less allocated to them.

Paolo showed us where we could get a shuttle bus from the coach into Alberobello. It took us to the top of the town, and was €1 well spent. A pity JY do not arrange this, because it is a long boring walk to the coach and back from the town, especially in the baking heat.

Matera is described as "moderate" walking. No it isn't it is difficult, and if the steps, which were little more than largeish stones had been slightly damp, or wet, it would have been lethal. They are bad enough dry.

Lunch at the Masseria Torre Coccaro was a great variety of Puglian specialities. The dinner at the local Masseria had to be inside because of the rain, but what a great evening that was.

This was a good holiday. Allison our TM did a great job, sometimes under difficult circumstances when the places to visit were crowded. She was always around when needed, and excellent at getting any information for us. It was a good group, gelled well, had lots of laughs, lots of jokes and leg pulling, and made friends.

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
thank you for your review on this holiday, and I hope JY take note of your comments.

Cindy

Tim
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi sjm533 - thank you for your honest review, I have indeed passed it on to our holiday creators to take note of.

Thanks,

Tim

JuliaR
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

thank you for your review on this holiday, and I hope JY take note of your comments.

Cindy

Thank you for your helpful comments, one or two of them have given me second thoughts about booking, crowds and screaming children, not for me I think.

maglynn
(Member)
I did this trip in July and while I would agree with the comments re the steps in Matera, overall it was a brilliant holiday and very well organised. Maybe we were just lucky, but all of us were in the one block of rooms at the hotel and there did not seem to be any babies or children around at all.................and I would have thought that was more likely in July than September!! So I would not let that put anyone off booking this trip - it is a wonderful area and not crowded at all in July, Although it was very hot, the hotel and coach were nicely air-conditioned and we managed to find nice shaded cafes and wine bars..........heaven!!

Marie