Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Well to start with, this was not a first choice holiday for me, but after being disappointed with Texas last year, I chose this one and I am very glad I did.

DAY 1

Arrived at Gatwick and after check-in I went to the lounge where I met some of my fellow travellers, which broke the ice. There were 21 on this tour (10 male/11 female) with an age range from mid 40’s to mid 70’s. This was Just You's 4th tour of Florida and changed a bit from 2013. Met our tour manager Kim Valencia at Orlando Airport. After arriving at the Fairfield Inn & Suites, most of us went for a drink at the Orlando Ale House opposite the hotel.

DAY 2

All day visit to Epcot which got better as the day progressed. Do go to the ‘FastPass’ booth to register your pass to access 3 visits without queuing. Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land and Reflections of China were probably the best I visited.

DAY 3

Visit to the Kennedy Space Centre which was everything I wanted it to be (so much better than Houston). Had lunch (very good) with astronaut Bruce Melnick who flew on the first Endeavour shuttle in May 1992. Mainly talked about food in space. He did visit our table. Atlantis shuttle display excellent as were all the displays. Then a 2 hour journey to the Holiday Inn at Vero Beach which has its own beach.

DAY 4

As it was Sunday a restful morning then on to Fort Lauderdale in the evening and to the B Ocean hotel which was excellent except no coffee/tea making in the room. Every room had a sea view and the beach was on the other side of the road.

DAY 5

A tour of Fort Lauderdale with the local guide and then the optional cruise. How the other half live! Amazing properties and even more amazing yachts. A ‘must tour’ and ought to be included. In the evening, Kim took us to Las Olas Blvd (fashion shops similar to Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills) where some ate at the Cheese Factory and others at the American Social. On Mondays, burgers and fries are $5!

DAY 6

Off early to Miami for another tour with local guide Karin. Stopped at Miami Beach for a walk on the beach. Then a drive along Ocean Drive and the ‘Art Deco’ buildings. Over into Miami and a drive around Coral Gables and Little Havana. Lunch at the Bayside Marketplace and some shopping. After lunch on to the Keys and past Miami Airport which is large. Our hotel was the Postcard Inn in Islamorada for the next three nights.

DAY 7

After breakfast at Shulas 2 a two hour drive to Key West. An amazing journey over so many bridges with the Atlantic Ocean on the left and the Gulf of Mexico on the right. The old railway bridge can be seen in some parts. Most of us took the Conch Train tour of Key West which is the easiest way to see the town. Stopped at the most southernmost point in the US and had a photo taken. Also a drink in Sloppy Joe’s in Duval Street.

DAY 8

A visit to the Theatre of the Sea which is next door to the Postcard Inn was good. Performing dolphin, sea lions and parrots. A walk around various ponds with sea turtles and various fish, sharks and alligators. In the evening some of us went for a sunset cruise. A storm was developing to the north and saw a water spout. After the cruise a meal at Shulas 2 and the heavens opened with some of the heaviest rain I have seen. Flash flood outside restaurant and no TV reception!

DAY 9

All the rain and floods gone. Local TV said we had 4.5 inches of rain overnight! Off to the Everglades safari park for the airboat ride. The boat takes about 25 people and is a great ride through the sawgrass. Did see a few alligators as we left, but nothing out in the open. When walking through the nature trail to see lots of alligators, we did get bitten by the midges and everyone was sprayed! Onto Naples where we did a visit to Tin City which is a group of former boatyard shelters turned into tourist shops and bars. Hotel was the La Quinta Inn.

DAY 10

Poor continental breakfast at La Quinta. A hours drive to Fort Myers and the Edison and Ford winter estates. The guide who took us around the houses was very knowledgeable and funny. In the gardens are some of the largest Banyan trees in Florida. Then onto our final destination, Sarasota and the Hampton Inn near their airport. Kim took us to St Armands Key for an evening meal and afterwards some of us went down to the beach to see the sunset (8:15pm ET). The sand here was the best, soft and white with shells near the tide mark.

DAY 11

Today was a surprise as most of us did not know what to expect at the Ringling in Sarasota. This is a museum about the circus which has a brilliant model display of their circus and all what is involved. There is also the mansion which belonged to John & Mable Ringling which needless to say was well furnished. More large Banyan trees in the gardens. In the evening we all went to the Marina Jack restaurant in Sarasota Bay. Back to the hotel where there is no bar!!!!

DAY 12

Last day in Florida and stopped for lunch at where we started 11 days ago at the Orlando Ale House. Off to the airport where we said our goodbyes to Kim (who is brilliant and if you are fortunate to have her as a tour manager, you will be OK) and to Dave the driver. Although the flight was late off it was smooth journey home to Gatwick.

DAY 13

Arrived back at Gatwick at 7:25am and off to our various homes.

To sum up, and excellent tour and well recommended. Florida has a lot to offer away from the parks of Orlando. The temperature in May was high 80’s F and it only rained at night in Islamorada and a light shower in Fort Lauderdale. You will have a great time on this holiday.

[/font]

Malcolm

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Malcolm

great review I was on the very 1st tour, and I am glad the changes have been made. Kim was also the rep we had, what a lady she is great for getting everyone pumped up for the day or evenings out. Glad you had fun.

Cindy

Clive Painter
(Member)
Well I think Malcolm has summed up this tour pretty well. One member of the group might be a little annoyed about being classed in her mid 40's as she was a fair bit younger than that! I would certainly echo Malcolm's suggestion to get your Fast Pass sorted out for Epcot as soon as you get there.

All the hotels we used had free wifi which a number of people found to be handy.

The breakfasts were a little variable but all of them were acceptable. The best place for breakfast was Shulas at Islamorada.

It was a little disappointing that we could not walk around the Art Deco Area of Miami rather than driving around in the bus.

I think the Ringling Museum was the surprising highlight of the tour. You could easily spend all day there. The Circus exhibitions are excellent, the gardens are very nice and the Art Gallery is pretty good if you are into that. Then there is the Mansion House with excellent views across the river.

Clive