Kezzer46
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This is really a taster holiday, although it is a full on trip there really is not enough time for you to fully enjoy the country, cities or ambiance of the places you visit.

The Cities

Venice: Fabulous City. Walking tour was brilliant as was the local guide who was very knowledgeable. Unfortunately there was not enough free time to actually visit all the places of interest especially as it was so busy. Most of us took to the water on a fabulous Gondola ride, which is a must for anyone visiting this beautiful place.

Florence: Delightful City, you could spend a week exploring the museums and historical sites. Our local guide was excellent and did a remarkable job considering he had to contend with a major cycle race taking place in the city and plenty of road disruptions

Rome: A magical place full of history. Again the local tour guide was very good. Unfortunately, one day in Rome is not enough to explore all the places of interest. Most of us visited the Vatican City in the afternoon which was very disappointing, more of cattle ranch than a spiritual experience.

The Hotels:

1. Hotel Salus, Lido di Jesolo (Venice) - Breakfast/Dinner. Loved this shabby chic hotel, which is a 2 minute walk from the beach. The hotel is situated in the town, so close to the shops and bars. Breakfast was brilliant. Dinner was very basic and a little disappointing.

2. Grand Hotel Panoramic (Florence) - Breakfast/Dinner. Didn't like this hotel. There was hardly any choice for breakfast and dinner very basic and service was very slow. Also the Air-conditioning didn't work, However staff were friendly and it was in a lovely location and just a short walk to the town.

3. Hotel Raganelli (Rome) - Breakfast. Fairly modern hotel with a funky feel. Although on a busy road, I had no trouble sleeping and my room was at the front of the hotel. Best breakfast offered on the whole trip. Staff very friendly, Lovely roof terrace.

Highlights

For me the highlights were the Gondola ride, visiting Pisa and then spending the afternoon in the old town of Montecatini Alto, after a pretty amazing Funicular Railway ride up the mountain which should not to be missed. Also worthy of a mention was the tour of the caves in Orvieto and learning the history of this lovely town.

Lynda Broughton
(Member)
I agree with this post, Venice was brilliant, the Gondola trip was made special with a gentleman singing in another Gondola. This is a taster trip and I want to revisit Venice. It is a very hectic trip, lots of walking, steps etc. Florence had a cycle race so it was an early start to get into the middle of Town. Piza was spectacular although I didn't try the 396 steps inside!. Rome was madness with the papal address and extreme traffic. The Vatican trip was disappointing as it was like being herded around like cattle. This isn't a Just You option, it was organised as a private group, maybe it could be an optional excursion in future. The spoiler was the food, dinner at Hotel Salus and all meals at Grand Panoramic. Breakfast in Rome was OK, the restaurant nearby where most of us ate in the evening was first class. In all a good trip with a brilliant group of fellow travellers, a good tour guide in Anthony but the meals and middle hotel need looking into.

Anyone doing this trip - remember the bug spray we all got bitten.

Chloesonic :)
(Member)
Hi there 🙂

I was looking at booking this trip for the future and thought an 8 day trip was good but yes I think it not enough for such a lovely country and would be better to go for longer, My friends just been for 14 days and said that was perfect 2 or 3 days in each city top to toe, will try and look into it 🙂 xx

sue55
  • (Member)
(Member)
I completely agree with Kezzer46 the holiday was amazing, very busy with not enough time in place to see everything that is mentioned as included in the brochure.

Venice needs a lot longer than the few hours given, as what is not stated is you only see from the outside and going into the Doge’s Palace etc. is extra cost and a very large Q.

Pisa again was wonderful, the grounds are kept exceptionally well but again no mention of the extra's needed to get in to all the different buildings.

Rome statement from the brochure; we take a tour of the city we will call at many of the well-known locations including the Colosseum, St Peter’s Square and the Vatican City, the Spanish Steps and the famous Trevi Fountain.

What this statement is lacking is the tour is on the bus around Rome, we got off at the Colosseum with the guide who was very knowledgeable but you don't go in, the Vatican also is not included and to go in you need to Q or have bought tickets in advance.

Overall I really enjoyed the holiday and the other people in the group were great, it was just a shame the trip lacked advanced organisation into the venues and the hotels were so basic.

millsy
  • (Member)
(Member)
I'm a little concerned after reading the reviews on the Classic cities of Italy holiday. I have booked this as my first JY holiday for September 2014.. perhaps I've made the wrong choice?!

Cheers, Di

Kezzer46
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Di,

I am sure that you will have a fantastic time on this holiday. Yes for me, there were some disappointments, but they didn't stop me from having a good time, nor did they take away the beauty of the cities you will visit.

The people I met on this holiday were so much fun, and we laughed our way through the good times and the bad.

So as with all reviews, you need to take them with a pinch of salt, because although its the same holiday, everyone has a different experience and a different view.

Kezzer

millsy
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kezzer

Thanks for the reply it was really helpful. I'm sure I'll have a great time and love Italy.. and the company.

Cheers, Di

Jazz able
(Member)
I've just come back from a week on this tour and had a fantastic time. It was my first time travelling abroad on my own and also as a coeliac (I was very nervous about the gluten free diet and the possibility of being very ill whilst away on a very busy tour). The places were great, I wasn't ill at all and the people were great fun. The Tour Leader that we had, Jan, had a great sense of humour and mixed in with everyone very well.

I really didn't want to go the day before - convinced I'd made a mistake and it would be awful moving around so many places in 8 days, and if JY had called and said "sorry, it's cancelled" I really wouldn't have minded. But I'm glad I went. It has really opened my eyes and started a new era in my life, I think. I have come home thinking "where next?" and with more friends on Facebook who are all discussing "where next?" as well.

marks
  • (Member)
(Member)
Jazz able, i like your comment. Travelling alone seems to instil a fear in some people becuas ei dont think they realise they will not be ALONE. My last trip was to the Cilento Coast in September and i was already planning my next!