sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I loved Calabria, but am at a loss as to know where to start.

Sarah, our lovely, knowledgeable, unflappable Tour Manager;

Romeo our oh-so-friendly driver of the air-conditioned coach, with the patience of a saint on the Italian roads;

The hotel which gave so much: friendly staff welcoming you into what felt their home, fresh food from its own farm; its own wine which didn't leave you with a headache. I had never been to a wine tasting before where you helped yourself to the wine! Lovely fresh fruit, again from their own trees, available at breakfast, along with cereal, yoghurt, meat, cheese, toast, croissants, cake, and a very good cup of tea - yes they have got that cracked.

At dinner the menu gave a choice a 3 starters, 3 mains (fish, meat and vegetarian), and 3 desserts, and I had the best gnocchi I have ever tasted. The maitre d'hotel was always happy to make a variation to the menu if that was wanted. Fresh fish, didn't know what some of it was, but it tasted good. Clean, comfortable rooms with a mini bar/fridge. Terraces for breakfast (mind the wasps - they went for the meat) and dinner. A comfortable lounge for relaxing.

Very different villages from anywhere I had ever been before - narrow (mostly) traffic free streets. Cheap cafes serving good lunches.

Sila forest walk, which was easy for some, difficult for others (including me), but the sense of achievement when completed was overwhelming. The exposed tree roots were very short part of the walk and did not present any problems.

Earliest start was 8.30 on one day; others were either 8.45 or 9.00.

For anyone thinking about this I would say - go for it. My problem is that anywhere after this is likely to be a bit of a let down - it will have a great act to follow.

Anyone with any questions - please ask. I will answer them if I can.

Sylvia

Bosuncat
(Member)
'sjm533' wrote:

Romeo our oh-so-friendly driver of the air-conditioned coach, with the patience of a saint on the Italian roads;

The hotel which gave so much: friendly staff welcoming you into what felt their home, fresh food from its own farm; its own wine which didn't leave you with a headache. I had never been to a wine tasting before where you helped yourself to the wine! Lovely fresh fruit, again from their own trees, available at breakfast, along with cereal, yoghurt, meat, cheese, toast, croissants, cake, and a very good cup of tea - yes they have got that cracked.

At dinner the menu gave a choice a 3 starters, 3 mains (fish, meat and vegetarian), and 3 desserts, and I had the best gnocchi I have ever tasted. The maitre d'hotel was always happy to make a variation to the menu if that was wanted. Fresh fish, didn't know what some of it was, but it tasted good. Clean, comfortable rooms with a mini bar/fridge. Terraces for breakfast (mind the wasps - they went for the meat) and dinner. A comfortable lounge for relaxing.

Very different villages from anywhere I had ever been before - narrow (mostly) traffic free streets. Cheap cafes serving good lunches.

Sila forest walk, which was easy for some, difficult for others (including me), but the sense of achievement when completed was overwhelming. The exposed tree roots were very short part of the walk and did not present any problems.

For anyone thinking about this I would say - go for it. My problem is that anywhere after this is likely to be a bit of a let down - it will have a great act to follow.

Sylvia

Thank you Sylvia. One question. How did you find the transfers? It's quite a long journey.

sjm533
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Bosuncat' wrote:

'sjm533' wrote:

Sylvia

Thank you Sylvia. One question. How did you find the transfers? It's quite a long journey.

Hi,

The transfer was about 4 hours, including a "rest stop" after about 2.5 hours at a service station, where we had the chance to stretch our legs and get a snack and something to drink. I had never been to Italy before and didn't mind at all. It gave me a chance to see other bits of the country as well. Eyes popping at Vesuvius and a bit of Pompeii!!

The coach was comfortable, air conditioned, and Sarah was able to give us lots of information that would have taken a long time at the hotel. After driving down from the west of Scotland (3 hours), flying from Glasgow to Gatwick, having a short sleep overnight, checking in quite early, I found the coach trip to be very relaxing - but each to his own. One in the party didn't like it at all.

One the way back we stopped at a different service station and had time for a decent lunch, and a bit if last minute souvenir shopping. One thing I didn't mention is that the use of cards, especially on the tours is non-existent, you need cash.

Regards

Sylvia

Regards

Sylvia

Bosuncat
(Member)
'sjm533' wrote:

'Bosuncat' wrote:

'sjm533' wrote:

Sylvia

Hi,

The transfer was about 4 hours, including a "rest stop" after about 2.5 hours at a service station, where we had the chance to stretch our legs and get a snack and something to drink. I had never been to Italy before and didn't mind at all. It gave me a chance to see other bits of the country as well. Eyes popping at Vesuvius and a bit of Pompeii!!

The coach was comfortable, air conditioned, and Sarah was able to give us lots of information that would have taken a long time at the hotel. After driving down from the west of Scotland (3 hours), flying from Glasgow to Gatwick, having a short sleep overnight, checking in quite early, I found the coach trip to be very relaxing - but each to his own. One in the party didn't like it at all.

One the way back we stopped at a different service station and had time for a decent lunch, and a bit if last minute souvenir shopping. One thing I didn't mention is that the use of cards, especially on the tours is non-existent, you need cash.

Regards

Sylvia

Regards

Sylvia

Thank you Sylvia. I have done 3 hours of the journey down to Cilento twice so have been half way there. 😛 Wonderful scenery I agree. The thing that put me off it this year was Monarch pulling out of the local airport and JY having to change to using Naples. The hotel looks amazing.

Were you able to make yourself understood in shops okay?