ALED
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from a one week break in Calella which I enjoyed very much overall. Smallish group of 18 but everyone got on very well.

Tour guide John was very friendly and helpful.

Hotel Las Palmeres had very clean rooms and was handily located with polite staff. Unfortunately, the buffet food let things down both in quality and variety especially the meats, fish and veg which seemed to be frozen products cooked and re-heated. The same desserts were repeated virtually nightly and were mediocre. This is unacceptable for a supposedly 4 star hotel. Also fees for safe, fridge and spa were extra which I didn't fork out for on principle and should have been included in a near £1000 holiday.

Calella is a nice relaxed resort with a few shops and bars and is not too touristy but is lacking other amenities but served well as a base. It has a train station within 10 minutes walk for exploring surrounding area eg Barcelona approx return fare 8 Euros which you can do on a free day.

Excursions mostly enjoyable though could have done with more time in both Montserrat and especially Gerona. Barcelona coach trip was well organised with ample free time. The Coastline tour was a nice introduction to the area on the first day.

So, to sum up, a nice, leisurely break only slightly marred by the hotel cuisine.

magpie10
(Member)
I've also just returned from this holiday and agree with Aled about the food. I was apprehensive every evening going for my meal wondering if I would be able to find something to eat. Some nights the food was ok, but as the fish was often of a strange consistency, and I can't eat shell-fish, I was left with chicken (if it was available) which was ok. The desserts were also only mediocre, which wasn't good for a four star hotel. Breakfast wasn't so bad, and the hotel was very clean, the rooms were nice, and the staff were lovely. I think it might be an idea if the holiday was a bit cheaper (by taking out the cost of the evening meal), and everyone visited a local restaurant instead as there were plenty of places to eat locally.

I also refused to pay extra for a safety deposit box on principle, as they should be provided as standard in a four star hotel.

Apart from that it was a small group but we all got along, the trips were very well organised and well worth doing, and Barcelona was stunning - the local train service cheap and excellent, and the people very pleasant.

ALED
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I agree with Magpie's suggestion about going out for evening meals as the buffet fayre was not very authentic for the area. When you are dining at your accomodation every night things get a bit monotonous especially when the food is below par.
magpie10
(Member)
'ALED' wrote:

I agree with Magpie's suggestion about going out for evening meals as the buffet fayre was not very authentic for the area. When you are dining at your accomodation every night things get a bit monotonous especially when the food is below par.

Hi Aled,

Glad you got home safely.

The weather's a bit colder than Barcelona - it's freezing in Newcastle (though it's normally cold anyway!).

It was still a great holiday with a great group of people. Just need to book another one now!

Caroline

ALED
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Caroline

Yes got home about 2.30 om so good going

it's a bit mixed here but not too bad

Yes may book another one in Sept I'll see

Aled