BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Just returned from the most amazing holiday of my life! This is an expensive tour, but it is well worth it. There were so many highlights and each day was special. In a nutshell, we saw stunning coastal scenery in South Africa, had a great tour of the winelands (including the world famous Nederburg vineyard, great fun!), went whale watching at Hermannus, had numerous game drives and we saw all the Big Five and many more (including a few Specsavers moments, Marlane!!). A township tour at Knysna was inspiring, especially meeting the children at the primary school; staying at thatched game lodges, with zebra, giraffes, hippos, crocodiles and monkeys not far from your door is an incredible experience! The food and accomodation throughout were of a very good standard. The Vic Falls add-on was wonderful, great to experience another part of Africa (Zambia) and the excursions were amazing - a day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana, an elegant gourmet meal on a steam train similar to the Orient Express and watching the most incredible sunset while on a cruise on the Zambezi are just some of the memories that will stay with me forever. Our tour manager, Zoe Ireland, was brilliant - she made time for everyone every day, was always in good humour and keen to help; the local guides Sophia and Shaun were fantastic too. The mosquitoes were not a major problem, once sensible precautions were taken and the weather was glorious. Overall, a truly wonderful holiday and one I will never forget!
mikethesaint
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

Just returned from the most amazing holiday of my life! This is an expensive tour, but it is well worth it. There were so many highlights and each day was special. In a nutshell, we saw stunning coastal scenery in South Africa, had a great tour of the winelands (including the world famous Nederburg vineyard, great fun!), went whale watching at Hermannus, had numerous game drives and we saw all the Big Five and many more (including a few Specsavers moments, Marlane!!). A township tour at Knysna was inspiring, especially meeting the children at the primary school; staying at thatched game lodges, with zebra, giraffes, hippos, crocodiles and monkeys not far from your door is an incredible experience! The food and accomodation throughout were of a very good standard. The Vic Falls add-on was wonderful, great to experience another part of Africa (Zambia) and the excursions were amazing - a day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana, an elegant gourmet meal on a steam train similar to the Orient Express and watching the most incredible sunset while on a cruise on the Zambezi are just some of the memories that will stay with me forever. Our tour manager, Zoe Ireland, was brilliant - she made time for everyone every day, was always in good humour and keen to help; the local guides Sophia and Shaun were fantastic too. The mosquitoes were not a major problem, once sensible precautions were taken and the weather was glorious. Overall, a truly wonderful holiday and one I will never forget!

Bob,

You beat me to it.

Agree with everything you have said although you didn't mention having our photograph taken with a cheetah, the elephant ride and what about the helicopter flight over Victoria Falls, even if it did take you 2 go's!!!

It was my birthday whilst on the tour and I will always remember having 'Happy Birthday' being sung to me in total darkness whilst in Cango Caves.

Great holiday, great fellow travellers and a great Tour Manager. Well done Zoe.

Trish 2
(Member)
I agree with everything Bob and Mike have said. It was a truly remarkable holiday. The itinerary always promised to be fantastic but our guide Zoe was brilliant at bringing the group together and looking out for everyone. This was my first JY holiday but most definitely will not be the last. In addition to all the highlights that have already been mentioned, there is also the opportunity to do a microlite flight and abseil down the falls, you couldn't ask for morew from a holiday. Thank you JY and to our guide Zoe
MarlaneH
(Member)
Hear Hear - also the lovely meal on Livingstone Island, under canvas, above the Falls and also the flock of baby penguins within touching distance on the beach taking in the sunshine whilst their sea proof feathers grew. For me, one of the absolute delights was walking in the bush, holding on to the tails of two young lions and afterwards cuddling three cheetas and leading them on leashes.

I would like to re-iterate how well we were looked after by Zoe, Josie and Shaun, not forgetting our lovely drivers Greg (Trevor Macdonald's double) and Donald.

I wouldn't have missed this trip for the world - it was simply (as the Americans say) Awesome. Can't wait to do the next one.

Hooly
  • (Member)
(Member)
'BGray' wrote:

I was so pleased to read your review because I've booked this holiday for Christmas. I was excited before but even more so now you've said such such great things about it. One thing I'm wondering about is the dress code for evenings for us ladies. The suggestions for day wear are helpful but what to wear in the hotels - some look quite formal. Can somebody help me out here? Many thanks.[/font]

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Hooly,

Like all JY tours there is no dress code as such, people just wear what they feel comfortable in. Most folks change their clothes for dinner and some of the ladies wore dresses, but nothing flashy! Dress for comfort more than style - especially at Christmas when it will be very, very hot! I'm sure you'll pack something smart for Christmas Eve/Day but I don't think there is any need to really dress up at all. Bear in mind that the itinerary has changed a good bit since we did this holiday, so some comments mightn't be valid any more but you will still have the holiday of a lifetime!

Hope this helps and you have a fantastic holiday - it's still my favourite from all the tours I've done over the last few years!

Cheers,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

Not sure if this is going to get to the top of the review chain, but worth a try. I sincerely hope that there will still be an opportunity to cuddle a cheetah as I would love to do so!

Jaya

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya,

As you know this tour has changed a lot since I did it four years ago. I think we had the cheetah experience in Oudsthoorn and the cat sanctuary was next door to the lodge. If this has changed, you may be able to have a close up encounter with big cats in Zambia - Marlane did this in our tour and she refers to it in her comments above. I think it was the same day we did the elephant experience - you could ask your tour manager if it is possible to do it. Hope you have an amazing time!

Best wishes,

Bob

sallyc
(Member)
Hi Jaya

The big cat experience walking with lions or cheetahs took place in Zambia on my trip in 2012. It wasn't an official excursion but one arranged by our TM. The place was just up the road from the hotel and we squeezed it in on the morning before our flight home. As Bob says, the itinerary has changed recently but I'm sure either your TM or local guide will be able to advise you on available opportunities. The add-on was extremely busy with no free time for those who did every excursion but definitely worth it. As many have said, this remains my favourite trip of all time. Enjoy.

Sally

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally and Bob

Thanks for your comments. I will certainly ask the Tour Manager if this was possible as I would love to do it. We are actually only getting two full days in Zambia as we arrive late afternoon on the first day so fingers crossed that this will be possible as I would love to experience the big cats, especially the cheetahs. I personally would not have minded paying extra to have a little bit longer in Zambia.

Jaya

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya, when I did the Zambia add-on it was four nights (plus one in Jo'burg) so we had around three and a half days there - it still wasn't enough! I loved it so much - be sure to do the day trip to Chobe National Park in Botswana if it's offered and the dinner on the Royal Livingstone Express if they still do it. Both wonderful experiences!

All the best,

Bob

sallyc
(Member)
Jaya

If I have read your itinerary correctly you should have three nights in Zambia which was the same as we had. We squeezed in everything as follows:-

- late morning flight to Livingstone. Visit to the local village and a chance to buy their crafts. Evening at hotel.

- morning walking tour of Victoria Falls, afternoon helicopter flight over Falls, evening meal aboard Livingstone Express.

- full day trip to Chobe in Botswana - morning boat safari and afternoon jeep safari, evening at hotel

- morning ride on Elephants, lunch on Livingstone Island, evening sunset cruise

- morning cuddling cheetahs before departing for the airport.

As I said before it was really hectic but the only thing I would miss out if I went again would be the village visit.

I really hope you get to do all the above as it made the trip the best I've ever done.

Sally

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally

Yes we have 3 nights in Zambia - arriving early afternoon the first day, which means we get 2.5 days plus the morning before leaving Zambia - at the moment the flight is due to depart at 13:30. We actually have one day less than you, but I am going to do everything on offer! Will have to make sure I get a chance to cuddle the cheetahs even if it means getting up very early in the morning! I do not mind if the village visit is cut as I rather spend more time doing Victoria Falls, Botswana, Livingstone Express, Ride on Elephants etc. I know it is a long way away, but I am getting so excited.

Jaya

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi to anyone who is looking to do this holiday in 2015 or beyond!

As you can see, I did this tour back in 2011 and the itinerary is a little different to what it was back then. Having said that, you will still touch all the main bases - Cape Town, Oudtshoorn, Knysna, Kruger, Blyde River Canyon. And you have the added bonus of seeing more of Jo'burg than we did, including a chance to see Soweto! The Vic Falls add-on is pretty much the same as when I did it, except it is now 3 nights rather than 4, but I gather you can still do pretty much everything we did.

This was the first review I wrote for the JY Forum - they have become a lot longer since! However, I did write a thread for the Share your travel tips forum which has some more info which you might find useful, especially if you haven't been to Africa before. The link is:

http://forum.justyou.co.uk/forum/thread-51732.html 

I hope you do this tour, after 11 JY tours it is still my favourite!

Cheers,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Bob for the link. It is always nice to refresh the 'fading' memory.

Jaya

Princi
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Bob

Not sure if this is going to get to the top of the review chain, but worth a try. I sincerely hope that there will still be an opportunity to cuddle a cheetah as I would love to do so!

Jaya

Hello Jaya

When are you doing this trip?

I would love your feedback on the Cheetahs and Lions once you experience it... Another bucket list moment

Alex

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Alex

I have booked for September 2016 - a long wait but days fly so the date will be here before I know it. Really looking forward to this trip. Will definitely write a review on my return.

Jaya

Princi
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Alex

I have booked for September 2016 - a long wait but days fly so the date will be here before I know it. Really looking forward to this trip. Will definitely write a review on my return.

Jaya

Hi Jaya,

I am just about to book Spirit of India for Feb 2016 and was thinking long and hard, if I saved really hard I might be able to make South Africa this Sep also.

( I doubt my piggy bank would be able to cope though, especially as I'd like to do the ViC falls add on) I saw in the PDF brochuer in October they do a Whale watching special. Its not as easy to read as the website, as one cant see the Itinerary as easily.

Have a fab time

Alex

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Alex

I do hope that you will be able to do South Africa with Victoria Falls add on in September 2016. I know the add on bit is a bit expensive, but when you have already flown that far, it is best to try and do everything you can. I am really looking forward to this trip and can't wait to cuddle the cheetahs or lions or any other bit cats - in fact whatever is available!! The best part is that we no longer need Yellow Fever certificate to travel to Zambia though I will still check next year to make sure the rules have not changed again. Personally, I can't have any live injections so can't have yellow fever jab, but I can get a letter from the doctor which is good enough. I also read somewhere that Yellow Fever jab is not recommended for anyone over 60, which I will be next year. Hope to see you next September. In the meantime enjoy India.

Jaya

ChristineNeal
(Member)
'Jaya' wrote:

Hi Alex

I have booked for September 2016 - a long wait but days fly so the date will be here before I know it.  Really looking forward to this trip.  Will definitely write a review on my return.

Jaya

Am going on September 13th so hope to meet you. Just one thing. Its Terminal 3 we fly out of not 5 . We fly back into 5. Checked the BA website and have told JY. 

Very excited! Just paid up and booked excursions. Are you doing the add on like me?

see you soon !!