Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vickie.  

Now I finally have a new hip I can start to look towards having a holiday next year.   😛 

Re Slovenia.  I see JY are offering flights from Birmingham and Manchester (which is great incidentally), albeit via Brussels.  Having never, apart from in the States, changed flights in an airport, are JY likely to have any assistance in place at Brussels, both going and on return?  

Is the Ancient and Modern Crete holiday still being offered by JY next year?  I see the problem of the late night flights, and having to use  Heraklion Airport has still not been solved, so I presume the welcome meal will be on route to Chania as it was when I went?  

Any chance of JY offering Corfu some time?  

I'll probably change my mind and go private travelling but it would be nice to have some answers.

Thanks.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

So sorry for the delay!

There will be a Just You representative at all UK airports, but not in the connecting European airports. If you have any questions about the airports please let me know and I will answer them.

Our Ancient to Modern Crete tour won't be continuing for 2020, but we are revamping our Greek tours so stay tuned to see what's new! 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

So sorry for the delay!

There will be a Just You representative at all UK airports, but not in the connecting European airports. If you have any questions about the airports please let me know and I will answer them.

Our Ancient to Modern Crete tour won't be continuing for 2020, but we are revamping our Greek tours so stay tuned to see what's new! 🙂

Thanks,

Vickie

Thanks Vickie.  

I'll have a think about Slovenia again.

So sad to hear that Ancient and Modern Crete will not be continuing.  That hotel is something else!  😞

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi again Vickie.

I think it would be useful to know if there is more than one terminal at Brussels Airport?  Sorry to sound  naïve, but I'm presuming that luggage will follow on from the Birmingham flight arrival onto the flight for Ljubljana?  That it would just mean (if there is only one terminal) finding the correct departure gate after transferring through from arrivals?  Hope that makes sense?   :blush:

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

Yep, that's right - Brussels has just one terminal. Your luggage will be transferred from your Birmingham flight straight onto the Ljubljana flight, so you'll just need to go to your departure gate 🙂

Many thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

Yep, that's right - Brussels has just one terminal. Your luggage will be transferred from your Birmingham flight straight onto the Ljubljana flight, so you'll just need to go to your departure gate 🙂

Many thanks,

Vickie

Many thanks Vickie.

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Back again Vickie.

I am still hoping to make this one next year.  I see though that the change now (flying from Birmingham) is no longer Brussels but is now Munich, flying with Lufthansa.  I understand that has 2 terminals.

So the question again please.  Would the flight involve changing terminals?

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

This option is flying with Adria Airlines. As you may be aware, Adria's future is uncertain at the moment, with all flights grounded. Due to this, we have removed the Manchester and Birmingham options from sale until we have further information.

Currently we are only taking direct bookings from Stansted or Gatwick.

We should have more information by early/mid next week.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

This option is flying with Adria Airlines. As you may be aware, Adria's future is uncertain at the moment, with all flights grounded. Due to this, we have removed the Manchester and Birmingham options from sale until we have further information.

Currently we are only taking direct bookings from Stansted or Gatwick.

We should have more information by early/mid next week.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Thanks for that Vickie.  I didn't know Adria Airlines still existed to be honest.  I'm sure that that was the company I used to fly to Yugoslavia with back in the 80's!

I could have sworn that Lufthansa were mentioned as being the carriers though from Birmingham.

I'll keep my eye on the news and come back to you.  Thanks

AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, Bosuncat.

I came back from Slovenia last Friday and will write a review of the holiday idc.   In the meantime I thought I should let you know about the flights from and to Birmingham.   The planes were all on the small side, 2x2 seats, and had front gangways which let down from the fuselage rather than walking across an air bridge, meaning that they were steep and there was quite a drop from the bottom step to the tarmac.  On all but the flight back from Ljubljana to Brussels we were bussed to and from the plane.   

Brussels airport is enormous;  although all in one building, there are 3 separate terminals (A, B and T) and when I arrived from Birmingham there were very many people in Transit milling around trying to get into the right lane for their gate.   Some of us managed to filter around the blockage courtesy of an airport employee but we still had to go through security scanning again (and I had to give up my half-full bottle of water purchased in Birmingham).   Coming back was easier in that we didn't have to go through security again in Transit but there were still a lot of people around.

Although I understand that the revised flight plan, if it goes ahead, would now be Birmingham to Ljubljana via Munich there will still be a lot of walking involved (I haven't been to Munich airport for a long time but if it is like Frankfurt and other main airports it will be huge).   If you do decide to go for it, I would suggest you seriously think about booking Special Assistance so that you can be whisked around on one of the many passenger carts.   In Brussels it was about a 15 minute walk to the gate from the central concourse on both occasions and the signage wasn't the best in places.

One other thing about this holiday - the bathrooms in the hotel generally have a bath with shower over and a half screen which might swing open but mine was very stiff so I clambered round it.   It is possible that you could ask for a room with shower but although David our TM enquired, he couldn't get a definite answer - it seems to be a "wait and see" situation.

Ann

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'AnnF' wrote:

Hello, Bosuncat.

I came back from Slovenia last Friday and will write a review of the holiday idc.   In the meantime I thought I should let you know about the flights from and to Birmingham.   The planes were all on the small side, 2x2 seats, and had front gangways which let down from the fuselage rather than walking across an air bridge, meaning that they were steep and there was quite a drop from the bottom step to the tarmac.  On all but the flight back from Ljubljana to Brussels we were bussed to and from the plane.   

Brussels airport is enormous;  although all in one building, there are 3 separate terminals (A, B and T) and when I arrived from Birmingham there were very many people in Transit milling around trying to get into the right lane for their gate.   Some of us managed to filter around the blockage courtesy of an airport employee but we still had to go through security scanning again (and I had to give up my half-full bottle of water purchased in Birmingham).   Coming back was easier in that we didn't have to go through security again in Transit but there were still a lot of people around.

Many thanks Ann.

As you can see from Vickie's reply to mine, JY are currently taking no bookings for next year apart from Gatwick and Stansted departures.  So it looks as though it won't happen for me AGAIN.   :s

I look forward to reading your review and thanks for the advice.   🙂

Although I understand that the revised flight plan, if it goes ahead, would now be Birmingham to Ljubljana via Munich there will still be a lot of walking involved (I haven't been to Munich airport for a long time but if it is like Frankfurt and other main airports it will be huge).   If you do decide to go for it, I would suggest you seriously think about booking Special Assistance so that you can be whisked around on one of the many passenger carts.   In Brussels it was about a 15 minute walk to the gate from the central concourse on both occasions and the signage wasn't the best in places.

One other thing about this holiday - the bathrooms in the hotel generally have a bath with shower over and a half screen which might swing open but mine was very stiff so I clambered round it.   It is possible that you could ask for a room with shower but although David our TM enquired, he couldn't get a definite answer - it seems to be a "wait and see" situation.

Ann

sandybill1946
(Member)
I am booked on this holiday next June flying from Manchester. When I booked it the flights were with Brussels airlines via Brussels. I was given flight times and numbers. I have been via Brussels before and it was very easy to find your next gate. 

When I was booking my taxi I went on the web site to make sure it had not changed and noticed it was flying with Lufthansa via Munich. This was no problem to me but I had not been advised by yourselves. Now I see from the earlier entries that it is another airline I have never heard of. What’s is wrong with Lufthansa or Brussels airlines. 

As I live in Yorkshire I do not go to Gatwick or Heathrow for European flights as it usually involves one or two overnight stops. I was delighted when I saw the options via Brussels as I can get to Manchester any time of day or night. 

Please sort this out soon as I really want to do this holiday but as I said I am not prepared to go via London airports. 

Thanks

Sandra

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'sandybill1946' wrote:

I am booked on this holiday next June flying from Manchester. When I booked it the flights were with Brussels airlines via Brussels. I was given flight times and numbers. I have been via Brussels before and it was very easy to find your next gate. 

When I was booking my taxi I went on the web site to make sure it had not changed and noticed it was flying with Lufthansa via Munich. This was no problem to me but I had not been advised by yourselves. Now I see from the earlier entries that it is another airline I have never heard of. What’s is wrong with Lufthansa or Brussels airlines. 

As I live in Yorkshire I do not go to Gatwick or Heathrow for European flights as it usually involves one or two overnight stops. I was delighted when I saw the options via Brussels as I can get to Manchester any time of day or night. 

Please sort this out soon as I really want to do this holiday but as I said I am not prepared to go via London airports. 

Thanks

Sandra

I couldn't agree more Sandra.  The website definitely said Lufthansa via Munich.  

This is the second time that I have thought about booking this trip but each time I have come across changing airports etc.  Like Sandra I prefer to not to go down to Gatwick because it, Heathrow and indeed Stansted always involve at least one overnight stop.  

Vickie, I know that it's too late to do anything about it this year, but why isn't Zagreb being used instead?  Yes, it's a bit of a hike transfer wise, but probably not a lot more than transferring from Ljubljana.

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Bosuncat,

The reason we fly to Ljubljana is because the airport is 1 hour 15 (max) from the hotel, whereas from Zagreb airport it's 3 hours. Also, Zagreb only gives Heathrow as a direct flight option, whereas for Ljubljana we can offer Stansted and Gatwick as well.

We are waiting to find out about Adria Airways (Airways (who operate a few non-London options in to and out of Ljubljana, indirect via Brussels or Frankfurt) to see if we are able to offer something beyond the broader London area.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Vickie' wrote:

Hi Bosuncat,

The reason we fly to Ljubljana is because the airport is 1 hour 15 (max) from the hotel, whereas from Zagreb airport it's 3 hours. Also, Zagreb only gives Heathrow as a direct flight option, whereas for Ljubljana we can offer Stansted and Gatwick as well.

We are waiting to find out about Adria Airways (Airways (who operate a few non-London options in to and out of Ljubljana, indirect via Brussels or Frankfurt) to see if we are able to offer something beyond the broader London area.

Many thanks,

Vickie

Thanks Vickie.  No doubt you are now aware of this.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/adria-airways-collapse-flight-grounded-passengers-cancelled-bankrupt-a9127366.html 

It's such a shame.