JanetL22
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Vickie

Thanks to JY for entering the maximum group sizes in the new brochure. I really do appreciate having this information to hand from the outset to see which holidays are viable to me.  Having said this I am disappointed to see that there are not a few more under 30 max, particularly the long haul ones.

In respect of the Canada East to West tour is this totally separate to the individual Eastern Wonders and Best of Canadas West Tour? I just want to double check that there will only ever be a max of 30 on any leg of the journey. 

I look forward to hearing from you

Janet

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Janet,

Thanks for your feedback 🙂

Yes, for the Canada tours there will be a max of 30 on any leg of the journey.

Thanks,

Vickie

JanetL22
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Vickie.

That’s excellent news. Now I just need to decide when to go

Regards

Janet

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Vickie,

I’m sorry to be a ‘doubting Thomas’ regarding your answer to Janet’s question, but are you really saying that JY will have 2 separate groups staying at the exact same hotels and following the exact same itinerary at the same time?

If you look at the East to West tour, 2 departures in 2019 (2nd June & 15th Sept) and all departures in 2020 fly out on the same day as the Eastern Wonders tour. Similarly, if you extrapolate East to West departure dates forward to the arrival date in Calgary on day 10, and then compare that with departure dates for the Canada’s West tour, 2 CW departure dates in 2019 (11th June & 24th Sept) and 3 departure dates in 2020 (19th May, 9th June & 22nd Sept) coincide. In all cases the East to West tour mirrors exactly the itinerary in the individual East and West tours.

That being the case, and with a maximum group size of 30 being permitted on each tour, I believe that customers could have a maximum group size of 60 people on each leg of the tour. Please correct me if I’m wrong...but I don’t think I am!

Mike

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Mike,

Let me check this with our Product team and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Vickie

SharonT
(Member)
'JanetL22' wrote:

Hi Vickie

Thanks to JY for entering the maximum group sizes in the new brochure. I really do appreciate having this information to hand from the outset to see which holidays are viable to me.  Having said this I am disappointed to see that there are not a few more under 30 max, particularly the long haul ones.

In respect of the Canada East to West tour is this totally separate to the individual Eastern Wonders and Best of Canadas West Tour? I just want to double check that there will only ever be a max of 30 on any leg of the journey. 

I look forward to hearing from you

Janet

Hi Janet

I agree it’s great to have maximum group sizes stated in the brochure as personally I find 30 to be too large! I had this number on both my China and Jordan JY trips and in both cases the groups were unwieldy and was much happier with a group size of 16 when I went to Borneo with JY. Have just booked to go to Cambodia and Laos (with Hanoi add-on) in November with a quoted maximum group size of 20 which i’m Sure i’ll Be much more comfortable with - though I do agree it would be lovely to have a greater choice of holidays with smaller groups!

SarahS
(Member)
I did the Cambodia and Laos in February this year. We were a group of seventeen. So much better than the now regular 30 plus groups.  It’s a great holiday a real immersion in the culture of the two different countries.
JanetL22
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi SharonT

I am glad that I am not the only person that feels this way. When I did Vietnam last year there were 35 which was definitely far too many. I did ask JY to consider running some of the tours with smaller groups (25 or less) and am disappointed to note this has not happened. As a result of this I am now doing some tours with other companies when lower numbers are guaranteed.

Pleased to hear that you are heading to Cambodia as received good feedback from people that did it as an extension from Vietnam so am sure you will have a great time. I couldn’t get on it as was fully booked so will be looking to do the same tour as yourself in the future to see Laos too. I am heading to Namibia in October which also has a low max number. Was also hoping to do New Zealand but as book shows 35 I will now check out this with other companies too.

Janet

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Mike,

So the Eastern Wonders tour is the East part of the East to West tour – the two separate tours combine to make East to West (and there is also the option to do Rocky Mountaineer on the West) so it will be one group of up to 30 at any point during the tour.

Some people will just do the East then some will do East to West, some will join and just do the West but there will never be more than 30 passengers at any point.

I hope that makes sense?

Many thanks,

Vickie

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Vickie,

Thank you very much for confirming this for me; I should say that this directly contradicts what I was told by a holiday advisor a while back when I called to enquire about availability on the Canada’s West tour.

Mike

Sue scatty sue
(Member)
'JanetL22' wrote:

Hi SharonT

I am glad that I am not the only person that feels this way. When I did Vietnam last year there were 35 which was definitely far too many. I did ask JY to consider running some of the tours with smaller groups (25 or less) and am disappointed to note this has not happened. As a result of this I am now doing some tours with other companies when lower numbers are guaranteed.

Pleased to hear that you are heading to Cambodia as received good feedback from people that did it as an extension from Vietnam so am sure you will have a great time. I couldn’t get on it as was fully booked so will be looking to do the same tour as yourself in the future to see Laos too. I am heading to Namibia in October which also has a low max number. Was also hoping to do New Zealand but as book shows 35 I will now check out this with other companies too.

Janet

Hi I too am absolutely horrified by the size of the groups.  I deliberately looked through this forum to see the max size on the Vietnam trips and JY posted max 20 for the main tour and max 15 for the add on so I booked for November.  The SA trip last year at 24 in the group was too challenging  with getting your rooms , getting everyone to meet at the right times etc.  Around 17th May JY posted that there were 18 booked on the trip and a few days later conned everyone and said one place remaining and to my horror on thursday Saw a post  saying 32 now booked with  3 places free, I Cant change my plans now but this will be my last JY TRIP

Sue

Vickie
(Member)
Hi Sue,

Please accept my apologies if I'm misunderstanding, but you say you were advised that the max is 20 for the main tour and 15 for the add-on? This is 35 people in total, which is correct for the max number of places for the November trip.

For November there are currently 32 people booked on the trip, with 3 spaces remaining, that is correct.

Many thanks,

Vickie

SarahS
(Member)
The way numbers for main tours and add ons are reported is very confusing. On several occasions JY telephone agents haven’t been able to give me exact numbers. Surely it would be better to quote the total number booked - everyone does the main tour - with a supplementary number for those taking the add on. Not rocket science, but much better customer service.
Una
  • (Member)
(Member)
Maybe the phrasing needs to be changed in relation to numbers for addons. When I read Sue's post, I read it as 20 max on main tour then 15 out of those 20 could "add on" to that main tour. But its actually 20 for main tour only plus 15 for main tour and the addon, which isn't clear from how the numbers are presented.

Rgds

Una

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Vickie,

Please excuse me for barging in on this topic again, but I think if JY say that ‘the max is 20 for the main tour and 15 for the add-on’ then most people would interpret that as there being 20 places in total - 15 of which can take the add-on option. While I accept that the brochure shows a maximum group size of 35 for the tour in question, JY’s terminology just seems really strange - at best it’s misleading and at worst it’s simply wrong.

Could I suggest that if people are in any doubt about the maximum group numbers for a particular tour, they consult the brochure which does show the correct figures. Meanwhile, it would help if JY, when asked for maximum group numbers for a tour with an add-on, gave an answer in less confusing terms. ie ‘the maximum number for the main tour is 35, with 15 places available on the add-on’.

Mike

Vickie
(Member)
Morning everyone,

Thanks very much for your feedback on this topic, it's helpful to know.

I have passed this to our phone agents to check that maximum numbers are being quoted correctly, and I will ensure that when answering questions on here that I'm clear on what the overall max number is, including the add-on.

I hope this is helpful and apologies for any confusion caused.

Many thanks,

Vickie

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Vickie,

Thanks for your reply. Could I also take the opportunity to add my voice to those who think that maximum group sizes of 35 is way too large. My own view is that group sizes should be a maximum of 25, and judging from replies JY have received on this subject, I believe that view is shared by the majority of their customers.

Many thanks again.

Mike

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I too agree that 25 is a good group size and also manageable.

Jaya

SarahS
(Member)
I second what Mike and Jaya have said.
wharole
(Member)
I would also like to say that 25 should be the maximum group size at any one moment on a trip.  I am aware that some trips run together eg USA starting in Los Angeles.  Else getting on/off coaches etc can be a right hassle if only one exit.  Also getting to know each other.

Best wishes