Nehimba
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am going to Namibia in October. I have already read that it is advisable to take South African rand but do not really want to take large quantities of cash. When travelling before I have taken a pre loaded Master Card and was wondering if this would be suitable to take to Namibia ( I used one in Zimbabwe last year). They can be used to draw money out of ATM's as well. Advice greatly received regarding best way to take my money for the holiday also how much might be advisable for the trip.

Many thanks.

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Nehimba,

I was able to find this information so hopefully this can help answer your query:

'The national currency of Namibia is the Namibian Dollar (NAD). This is linked on a one to one exchange with the South African Rand. The Rand is legal tender in Namibia Dollar. If you are wishing to purchase currency before arriving in Namibia it is easiest to buy Rand as the Namibian Dollar is seldom available in banks outside of Namibia.

It is advisable to visit Namibia with Rand in your pocket, and make sure you exchange any Namibian dollars you have back to Rand before you leave the country.

Credit cards are accepted at most supermarkets, restaurants and accommodation establishments in urban Namibia (Visa and Mastercard are most commonly accepted) but outlets in rural areas are more likely to only accept cash payment. Although ATMs can be found in most towns, it’s worth making sure that you’ve got enough cash handy at all times, as towns can be few and far between. Make sure you notify your bank of your travel plans before you go: Namibia is among the countries that trigger an automatic account freeze (fraud protection) if you fail to tell your bank beforehand.'

Kind Regards,

Amy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi I did this tour in 2015 and took rand in cash - there were not many opportunities to use ATMs anywhere on the tour.  You don't need that much cash, as so many meals are included and lunches are cheap - in most places we had ham/cheese/tomato toasted sandwiches!

Hope you have a fantastic time on this amazing holiday - it is definitely in my top three tours ever!

All the best,

Bob

Nehimba
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Afternoon Nehimba,

I was able to find this information so hopefully this can help answer your query:

'The national currency of Namibia is the Namibian Dollar (NAD). This is linked on a one to one exchange with the South African Rand. The Rand is legal tender in Namibia Dollar.  If you are wishing to purchase currency before arriving in Namibia it is easiest to buy Rand as the Namibian Dollar is seldom available in banks outside of Namibia.

It is advisable to visit Namibia with Rand in your pocket, and make sure you exchange any Namibian dollars you have back to Rand before you leave the country.

Credit cards are accepted at most supermarkets, restaurants and accommodation establishments in urban Namibia (Visa and Mastercard are most commonly accepted) but outlets in rural areas are more likely to only accept cash payment. Although ATMs can be found in most towns, it’s worth making sure that you’ve got enough cash handy at all times, as towns can be few and far between. Make sure you notify your bank of your travel plans before you go: Namibia is among the countries that trigger an automatic account freeze (fraud protection) if you fail to tell your bank beforehand.'

Kind Regards,

Amy

Many thanks Amy. This is most helpful.

Nehimba
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGray' wrote:

Hi I did this tour in 2015 and took rand in cash - there were not many opportunities to use ATMs anywhere on the tour.  You don't need that much cash, as so many meals are included and lunches are cheap - in most places we had ham/cheese/tomato toasted sandwiches!

Hope you have a fantastic time on this amazing holiday - it is definitely in my top three tours ever!

All the best,

Bob

Hi Bob

Many thanks for this information. It is always reassuring to hear from a fellow traveller who has done this trip. I am very much looking forward to it.

Thanks again

Nehimba

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Nehimba,

You're most welcome!

Kindest Regards,

Amy

mlesleyk
(Member)
'Nehimba' wrote:

I am going to Namibia in October. I have already read that it is advisable to take South African rand but do not really want to take large quantities of cash. When travelling before I have taken a pre loaded Master Card and was wondering if this would be suitable to take to Namibia ( I used one in Zimbabwe last year). They can be used to draw money out of ATM's as well. Advice greatly received regarding best way to take my money for the holiday also how much might be advisable for the trip.

Many thanks.

Hi Nehimba

I'm doing the tour in October, and I was told take Rand

lizzielowe
(Member)
Hi - useful advice - thanks to those who proffered it! I too am off to Namibia in a couple of weeks; hadn't really thought about notifying my bank but will do so straight away.

More advice now needed. Is it really necessary to take the 'pop-up mosquito net' advised in our literature? And if so, what size of net (single or double?).

Lizzie

Moderator2
(Member)
Hi Lizzie,

It is not essential to take a net. Some people take a spray or can buy this out there, but some people don’t bother with bringing this either.

If you would like a net then you would need the size to fit the bed configuration which you asked for, i.e. twins or double.

Mosquito bites can be quite nasty so if I was you, I would take one and spray!

Kindest Regards,

Amy

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lizzie,

I've been with JY to various countries in Africa and SE Asia where mossies are prevalent and to the best of my knowledge, no one on any of my tours has ever taken a mosquito net!  Most places have air con - keep this on whenever you are in the room as they don't like it and are unlikely to bite when it is on.  Use repellent morning and evening liberally - most people use DEET as it is the most effective (50%); however it is quite hard on the skin and the fumes aren't pleasant.  Thanks to another JY travel buddy, I've discovered that Boots now do a "light fragrance" mossie repellent which is now recommended for tropical climates and has a strength rating of 3 out of 4.  However, do be aware that it is hard to avoid bites completely - some people say wear long sleeves etc. which is not really feasible when it is very hot and, to be honest, they can get through clothes if they want to - I was bitten under my arm and the middle of my back recently in Crete - and another traveller got bitten on the bum!!

The good news is that most places visited by JY are low risk for malaria, so the worst that can usually happen is you get a few annoying bites.  I did take malarone (anti-malaria) in South Africa and Zambia (the only place I've ever been where there have been a lot of mossies) as well as in Namibia (from Damaraland onwards).  Although Etosha is classified as being at a higher risk, I only saw a couple of mossies there and it wasn't a problem.  This is a fantastic tour, one of my favourites, so have a fantastic time!

Cheers,

Bob

mlesleyk
(Member)
'Nehimba' wrote:

Many thanks.

I am also going to Namibia in October.  I just got my currency and they told me to get Rand

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Lizzie

I too have been to Namibia, South Africa and Zambia and I personally did not take any anti malaria tablets and also did not take any mosquito sprays - I forgot when I went on South Africa/Zambia trip. In Zambia the rooms had plug in repellants and room sprays were also available if required. Unlike Bob, I did not see any mosquitos in Etosha as well. I have just returned from a trip to Kenya and some people were taking anti malaria tablets. Most lodges had mosquito nets, but I did not see any mosquitos at all. The hotel in Nairobi did not have a net but had air conditioning. Have a wonderful trip - Namibia is lovely.

Jaya

Simmag
(Member)
Hi I’m going on this trip too - just wondered who our Tour Manager was and how many were on the trip - getting excited
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Simmag,

This trip is fully booked with 24 travellers. the Tour Manager provisionally allocated to this tour is Maria Lippes and it looks like she will be travelling with the group from London.

I hope you have a wonderful tour - I've had my eye on this one for quite some time!

Kindest regards

Julia

SueStricks
(Member)
Hi Lizzie- I did this trip in spring 2016- it’s fantstic- one of the best tours I’ve ever done- we had the best ever tour manager in Annemieke Lippes and a great local guide/ driver in Leonard- you won’t need mossie nets ( hotels in Etosha have them) but you will need Deet spray and some cash- I took Rand and USD and changed some to Namibian dollars in the hotel in Windhoek- as others have said- it’s cheap in terms of food and souvenirs but you will need some cash and for most of the time you are on the road and cashpoints are hard to find! Be prepared for some amazing sights- the sunsets and dark skies are out of this world as are the dunes and of course the big 5! and make sure your camera batteries are charged up- there are so many amazing photo opportunities!

Have a great trip! ( say hello to Annemieke and Leonard if you get them!)

Sue

Simmag
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Simmag,

This trip is fully booked with 24 travellers. the Tour Manager provisionally allocated to this tour is Maria Lippes and it looks like she will be travelling with the group from London.

I hope you have a wonderful tour - I've had my eye on this one for quite some time!

Kindest regards

Julia

Thanks Julia