Bosuncat
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Good morning Mildred.

I was informed on Monday that a charge of £15 is made by JY if a traveller needs the company to check in online, and print their boarding passes for them.  Could you verify if this is correct please, as it does seem somewhat excessive, as not everyone has access to a printer, or indeed anywhere that they can get things printed out for themselves. 

Thank you.

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Bosuncat,

I hope you are having a pleasant day so far.

In regards to your query, yes- this is correct.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

TonyW
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mildred

Is this on all holidays or only on certain ones and certain airlines. It used to be if a group booking you could not bookin online.

Regards

TonyW

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
That seems a bit steep...

Elaine do you not has the use of a library perhaps, most have computers you can use.

Cindy

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Afternoon Bosuncat,

I hope you are having a pleasant day so far.

In regards to your query, yes- this is correct.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Thank you for your answer Mildred.  I shall attempt to find somewhere else to check in online other than JY as I want to pick my seat and not be allocated one. As stated I feel that £15 is a lot of money to have JY do it, and I do feel that it is discriminatory against customers who do not have either a computer or a printer.  I would be pleased if you could pass on my thoughts to someone in higher authority. 

Thank you

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Morning Bosuncat,

I will be sure to pass on your thoughts.

Kindest Regards,

Mildred

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'nixon' wrote:

That seems a bit steep...

Elaine do you not has the use of a library perhaps, most have computers you can use.

Cindy

Thanks Cindy.  Yes I do, but didn't have last time this happened as it was closed for refurbishment.  I have decided to purchase a basic printer, as what JY are charging is about half the price of one.  :s

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Morning Bosuncat,

I will be sure to pass on your thoughts.

Kindest Regards,

Mildred

I would appreciate if you did that Mildred.  Thank you.

SarahS
(Member)
I can't  speak for your area, but my local library charges 20p a copy. The staff are very helpful to anyone wanting to access computers, free for 2 hours, although at busy times, you do need to book a slot.  Definitely worth investigating.  Printing is not a problem for me, but I can understand it can be for many who rely on tablets and mobiles. I think the charge is very steep.   Especially  if the need to print your boarding pass isn't made clear at the time of booking.
Kezzer46
(Member)
Depending on what airline you are travelling with, often you can check in online and then choose to print your boarding pass out at the airport. Alternatively see if the airline has an app - if they do, often they don't require a physical boarding card as well (you will need a smart phone). Unfortunately we are now in a digital age.....
Moderator2
(Member)
'TonyW' wrote:

Hi Mildred

Is this on all holidays or only on certain ones and certain airlines. It used to be if a group booking you could not bookin online.

Regards

TonyW

Good Morning TonyW,

This is only on certain airlines.

Kindest Regards,

Mildred

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello All,

How long has this £15 been going on for? I can go back to October 2015 for Flavours of Tuscany and I do not remember that charge? Also, I have booked Breathtaking New Zealand through a Travel Agent- never again, need to ask them about this charge.

ps, I would like a window seat all the way to New Zealand and back please 😉 

Jan

Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

'TonyW' wrote:

Hi Mildred

Regards

TonyW

Good Morning TonyW,

This is only on certain airlines.

Kindest Regards,

Mildred

It only seems to apply on the low cost airlines Tony, (Ryan Air and Jet2 are two examples, and then you have to pay extra if you want to pick your own seat).  Unfortunately I have had to use those two airlines for my last 3 trips, so yes, I am getting a printer.  🙂

Rip Van Leech
(Member)
This happened to me last year. With two weeks to go before departure date I phoned JY to ask if my final documents were on their way and the lady on the phone just happened to mentioned as I was flying with Jet 2 I would need to check in on line and print boarding passes off. When I complained I should have been told this earlier because I would have to find a printer she printed me two ‘complementary’ boarding passes off there and then and sent them to me. This didn’t seem a lot of work for the £15 it would have cost. I seem to recall that many years ago travel agents used to give travellers an airline ticket. These were superseded by electronic tickets which travellers collected at the airport. The advantage of these, it was said, was travellers would no longer accidentally leave their tickets at home, or lose them on the way to the airport. Printing off boarding passes and having to take them to the airport seems backwards step to me, or am I missing something. I would also add that in the countryside libraries, with or without computers, are few and far between
Bosuncat
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Rip Van Leech' wrote:

This happened to me last year. With two weeks to go before departure date I phoned JY to ask if my final documents were on their way and the lady on the phone just happened to mentioned as I was flying with Jet 2 I would need to check in on line and print boarding passes off.  When I complained I should have been told this earlier because I would have to find a printer she printed me two ‘complementary’ boarding passes off there and then and sent them to me. This didn’t seem a lot of work for the £15 it would have cost. I seem to recall that many years ago travel agents used to give travellers an airline ticket. These were superseded by electronic tickets which travellers collected at the airport. The advantage of these, it was said, was travellers would no longer accidentally leave their tickets at home, or lose them on the way to the airport. Printing off boarding passes and having to take them to the airport seems backwards step to me, or am I missing something.  I would also add that in the countryside libraries, with or without computers, are few and far between

I totally agree with you.  I live in a town, and we are fortunate enough to still have a library, but many around here have closed.  Even so, we only have 4 computers in the library, and  you can wait up to a fortnight to get a slot.  I do feel that JY should indicate when people book if they will need to print their own boarding passes off.  Not everyone knows, and certainly last year for my Dubrovnik trip, when I flew with Jet2 I was not informed when I  booked.  I only found out when I happened to ask the question much later on the forum. 

Moderator2
(Member)
'janib' wrote:

Hello All,

How long has this £15 been going on for? I can go back to October 2015 for Flavours of Tuscany and I do not remember that charge? Also, I have booked Breathtaking New Zealand through a Travel Agent- never again, need to ask them about this charge.

ps, I would like a window seat all the way to New Zealand and back please 😉 

Jan

Good Afternoon Jan,

It hasn't always been £15 but this charge has been going on for about 5 years.

Kind Regards,

Mildred.