Marion F
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Can you let me know what the situation is regarding the Zika virus in the part of Barbados where the 'Best of Barbados' holiday is centred?  What precautions should be taken?  Should we wear long sleeves and trousers?

I've checked the 'Fit for Travel' website, but it doesn't give advice for specific areas of Barbados.

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Marion F,

Foreign Office Advice

There has been a lot of widespread media coverage regarding the Zika virus outbreak. The mosquito-bourne infection is particularly prevalent in Central, South America and the Caribbean. If you are concerned about this issue, here is a link with a brief description of the disease and the affected areas: www.gov.uk/guidance/zika-virus

We would recommend you consult your GP for further advice.

We are monitoring the FCO advice closely and will advise of any changes to our tours

What can travelers do to prevent Zika?

There is no vaccine or medicine for Zika. You can protect yourself by preventing mosquito bites:(http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/avoid-bug-bites)

• Cover exposed skin by wearing long-sleeved shirts and long pants.

• Use EPA-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE, also called para-menthane-diol [PMD]), IR3535, or 2-undecanone (methyl nonyl ketone). Always use as directed.

• Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear (such as boots, pants, socks, and tents). You can buy pre-treated clothing and gear or treat them yourself.

• Stay in places with air conditioning and window and door screens to keep mosquitoes outside.

• Sleep under a mosquito bed net if air conditioned or screened rooms are not available or if sleeping outdoors.

• Mosquito netting can be used to cover babies younger than 2 months old in carriers, strollers, or cribs to protect them from mosquito bites.

I hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Mildred