markf
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello,

I am going to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in November. Can you offer any advice as to the best currency and/or cards to use in each country?

I intend to use US dollars and also a US dollar cash passport Mastercard but am concerned about fees.  I would like to take also some local currency for each country but am finding it difficult to obtain.  What is the best and cheapest way to go?

Thanks,

Mark

Moderator2
(Member)
Good Afternoon Mark,

The best currency to take is USD. Excursions can also be booked in USD/GBP.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Angie S
(Member)
Hello Mark,

I know in Cambodia everyone only wants US dollars. You'll pick up local currency in your change. Vietnam will expect use of its own currency more and you'll pick this up easy with US dollars. I've not been to Laos but I would expect similar. In Cambodia / Vietnam, exchange a little at a time. Your money will go far and in Vietnam one dollar will give you over 20,000 Dong so you don't want a wallet bulging with notes as nice at that may sound!

Angie

markf
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Angie S' wrote:

Hello Mark,

I know in Cambodia everyone only wants US dollars. You'll pick up local currency in your change. Vietnam will expect use of its own currency more and you'll pick this up easy with US dollars. I've not been to Laos but I would expect similar. In Cambodia / Vietnam, exchange a little at a time. Your money will go far and in Vietnam one dollar will give you over 20,000 Dong so you don't want a wallet bulging with notes as nice at that may sound!

Angie

Thanks Angie

markf
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Moderator2' wrote:

Good Afternoon Mark,

The best currency to take is USD. Excursions can also be booked in USD/GBP.

Kind Regards,

Mildred

Thanks Mildred

SarahS
(Member)
In March this year the dong was preferred to the dollar in most shops and cafés in Vietnam. I didn't go to Laos, but in Cambodia the dollar was preferred, although change was normally given in local currency. I was able to obtain a small amount of dong from my local M&S money shop.
markf
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'SarahS' wrote:

In March this year the dong was preferred  to the dollar in most shops and cafés  in Vietnam. I didn't  go to Laos, but in Cambodia the dollar was preferred, although change was normally given in local currency. I was able to obtain a small amount of dong from my local M&S money shop.

Thanks Sarah