BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty,

Seeing Hils' post about Borneo has got me thinking about Mexico again as well! I see from the website that there are just two places remaining - could you let me know how many are now booked for the main tour, the add-on, gender and age mix for both please?

Also is Freddy still our TM?

Finally, I'm reluctant to ask yet another question regarding the optional excursions (and I don't want to drive you up the walls, not this early in the new year anyhow!!) but if possible could you find out some information about the boat used on the optional excursion to Cozumel - I'm thinking about going on this tour, rather than trying to organize the submarine tour myself, but I won't snorkel - so I'm wondering if I went on this tour, would I be able to stay on board the boat whilst the others snorkel? Is there a covered area out of the sun with comfortable seats or is it a functional trawler type boat? Is there a bar on board or food available? Is there any free time on the island itself or any kind of tour included? If the answers to these questions is yes, I think I'd do this excursion and relax while the others do their water thing. One last question - can you tell me how many have booked the three optional excursions so far: San Pedro snorkeling, Xcaret eco park and Cozumel?

Best wishes,

Bob

(Member)
Hi Bob,

There are 13 people booked on the main tour alone, of these there are 7 females and 6 males with ages ranging between the mid-30's to the late-70's. An additional 9 people are doing the Playa del Carmen add-on. There are 4 females and 5 males booked on this, with ages ranging from the mid-40's up to the early-70's. Overall, it takes the group number up to 22 for the main part of the tour.

Freddy is still allocated as your TM.

I have just passed these questions over to the holiday creator in hope they can get in contact with our agents. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

Monty

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty,

Many thanks for the info - equal numbers of men and women overall, how unusual for JY!!

I look forward to getting the update on the Cozumel excursion in due course - and please don't forget to tell me the numbers who have pre-booked the excursions so far!

Thanks a million,

Bob

adg29
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Monty

I think you got overtaken by enthusiasm when replying to Bob as 13 are on the tour and of those 9 are doing the 2 day add-on unless of course an additional 9 have just flown in for the add-on which would make it 22...not likely.

Can i ask a question on currency as we will be in Mexico approx 7 days Guatemala 4 and Belize 3.

What would be best to take US dollars, mexican or a mixture of both and I know Guatemala is a closed currency.

Also are you able to give a rough idea of how much to budget for daily for food and refreshments only.

Thanks

Alan

(Member)
Hi Alan,

There will be 22 people on the tour, of these 9 travellers will be doing the add-on. Sorry for any confusion and I hope that's a little bit clearer.

I have just asked someone in the team who will be able to tell you some accurate details regarding your further two questions. I hope to get back to you shortly.

Kindest regards,

Monty

(Member)
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in my response. We are still waiting to hear back from our agents regarding the optional excursions. In the meantime, questions like this will be better answered by the local guide and Tour Manager whilst out on tour. The excursions are available to book in resort so you can get your questions answered, along with some reassurance, before booking anything.

With regards to currency - USD are widely used in all countries you'll be visiting on the tour, but local currency for day to day items and food should be obtained if possible. Food usually varies in price rather than quality and some of the cheap eateries are amongst the best. Personally, I would budget the same as if I was anywhere else in the world.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Monty

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty thanks for the reply - as before, it seems that the local agents are very reluctant to part with any information!! It would be good to get some info regarding the boat on the Cozumel tour before I go and this is one tour when I will definitely be waiting until I'm there before booking any excursions!

Despite your most recent money advice, I presume that your previous recommendation still holds - that euro are widely accepted for exchange in Mexico? As I was planning on bringing euro for there and US $ for Guatemala and Belize? Anyone who asks me where I'm going for my next holiday is impressed when I say Mexico but they are gobsmacked if I add I'm also going to G & B!! It should be a very interesting and eye opening tour.....

Four weeks to go!

Cheers,

Bob

(Member)
Hi Bob,

I will try to get some information for you regarding the Cozumel tour. I understand that it's frustrating, but as you are booked on our very first departure, there is always going to be a little 'mystery' involved.

Euros are most certainly widely accepted in Mexico too - so your plan seems spot-on.

Kindest regards,

Monty

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty, many thanks - the tour is well named then so! (As in "Mysteries of Mexico....")

Best wishes,

Bob

(Member)
Hi Bob,

Good news - we have a reply from our agent!

So, you will be able to stay on board the boat whilst others snorkel and there is a covered area so you can escape from the sun. However, unfortunately there is no bar nor food on board, but they do have bottled water

In regards to free time, you will have some free time to explore the island but there will be no other tour included.

There are 3 people booked on the Snorkelling excursion at Hol Chan Marine Reserve. Other than that, nobody from your group has booked any optional excursion.

Kindest regards,

Monty

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Monty, many thanks for the information which is very much appreciated. I'll wait and see if others are doing the Cozumel tour and then decide if I'll go along with them. Otherwise I'll take advantage of the all-inclusive hotel! Great to see reviews up on Trip Advisor that the Iberostar Tucan is back open in Playa del Carmen; I presume we will be staying there at the end of the tour. It is getting great reviews, as always so I'm really looking forward to staying there. Don't want to tempt fate but the most recent reviews said no seaweed problems either! The final docs should be arriving any day now...

Best wishes,

Bob

sallyc
(Member)
Hi Bob

I've booked the Hol Chan trip now purely to save me taking extra cash with me. I am likely to be doing the Cozumel tour but am not going to book until we get there just in case no one else does.

I've got some insect repellant wipes on order as some of the group in Cuba used them instead of spray and found them to be very effective.

I haven't ordered my currency yet as I use Tesco who are always very quick at getting it in. I think I'm going to order some Mexican peso (or whatever the currency is!) and US dollars. I haven't worked out how much of each yet. For the first time ever on my Cuba trip I found myself running low on funds and I don't want to go through that again so shall probably take too much.

The reviews on the last hotel have been very good since they reopened so it looks like we will be fine for our extension. A group of nine for the extension sounds like a good number, six of whom we already 'know' - mikew, you, me, Katy1717, Tom (thosh) and of course Namibia Roger (not the red!).

I going to start getting my summer clothes down from the attic this weekend to run through the wash. I've been poorly since Christmas with flu so this holiday is just what I need and I am really getting excited now. Just over three weeks to go!

Sally

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sally, good to hear from you but sorry to hear you've been unwell. Hope we're all in top form for the tour, the time is flying by! I thought you'd probably go for the San Pedro snorkelling all right; we can see what the TM says about the add-on and what the others have in mind. I'm probably going to take around €700 for Mexico and $700 for Guatemala and Belize, hope that will be enough. Must start to get organised now!

Cheers,

Bob

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally,

Sorry to hear that you've not been well; I had a bad cold with aches and pains over Christmas as well, and with the weather being really cold in Brum today, I'm looking forward to the holiday now.

I've got my currency in USD low denominations ($10 and $20) and my cases down from the loft, so I'll be putting some clothes together this weekend. The $65,000 dollar question is: should I wear my 'Remember The Alamo' tee-shirt in Mexico?? Hmm...maybe not, but guess it would be OK in Guatemala and Belize!

Looking forward to seeing you, Bob and everyone else very soon.

Cheers

Mike

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Looking forward to seeing the reviews when you all get back....

Cindy

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
I am going to wait till after the first group is back and post a review before I decide if I want to do any optional excursions. I can swim though do not like swimming in the sea and have never snorkelled so not sure at all.

Sally, I do hope you are 100% better before you fly out. I was not well all of December and still have a lingering cold to shake off! All those going in February, have a wonderful time and I am very positive that everything will run smoothly.

Jaya

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Many thanks Jaya, I'm starting to get excited about the tour now. Three weeks to go! It looks like very few people will be doing the excursions on this tour - two are snorkelling and the other is a visit to Xcaret Eco Park - I'd be interested in going there for a couple of hours but it is a twelve hour excursion so I think I'd get fed up long before the bus arrived to take us back!

Best wishes,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

I too have the same feeling about the Xcaret Eco Park. I would be interested if it was only for a few hours as I too would get fed up. I will wait to see if anyone from your group goes and what they thought of it. This will be the only tour where I will not book the excursions prior to flying out. Will decide whilst there.

Jaya

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Jaya,

This is also the first tour that I haven't booked any optionals either! In San Pedro I will hopefully be able to hook up with some of the others in the group and head up to the town centre. Whilst my car was being serviced today I had a look at a guide book in the book shop - there is a rum and cigar shop that looks like a bit of fun - I think there's a museum or similar attached to it with samples of rum available! There's also a museum of handicrafts which might be worth a visit. I see there is also a water taxi that goes to Caye Caulker (where we were MEANT to be staying!!!) so maybe some of us might head there.

For the add-on I'm still thinking about doing the Cozumel tour...(minus the snorkelling!)

All the best,

Bob

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob

Not sure if some of your hotels are being changed. I received a letter from Just You saying that we are now going to stay in Hotel Mission Grand San Cristobal de Las Casas in San Cristobal;, Windy Hill Resort Hotel, San Ignacio, Belize; Sun Breeze, San Pedro Island; and Ocean Coral and Turquesa, Puerto Morelos, Riviera Maya - this is also the hotel for the Play del Carmen add-on. This is a 5* resort so hopefully should be okay. Those doing the add-on in March get an extra night as apparently BA does not fly from Mexico on Fridays! I will wait to read your review before I decide on any optional excursions.

Jaya

Jaya