BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

I'm booked on this fantastic sounding tour for next May. I know it's a new tour so perhaps all the details haven't been decided yet, but I'm just wondering is it likely we will be offered the chance to do a hot air balloon ride over the famous dunes or elsewhere on this tour? I've always wanted to do a balloon ride but haven't had the option so far on my JY travels!

Best wishes,

Bob

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

At the moment it is unlikely that Just You will be adding a balloon ride to this tour. To explain, the safety of our customers is a priority to us and we are currently unable to determine the safety of overseas balloon flights. As such these type of excursions have been removed from all of our tours until necessary safety measures have been put in place.

That being said, whilst we are unable to arrange this for you, you are travelling to an area where balloon companies operate and should be able to book a flight independently on your day of leisure. If this is something that you decide to do, please ensure that you have appropriate travel insurance to cover you for this type of activity.

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Bob

Let's hope you can achieve this ..I did a hot air ballon ride whilst in OZ it was amazing..

This is what happend on my flight.

It was a sunrise flight so was a very early start, you have to be able to climb into the basket and out, I found it easier climbing in than out!!!! Our basket was full of people so it can get a bit hard to be in the right place to get good photos...so think about that as I am sure you will be wanting good shots..also we had to help fold the balloon up once landed...the take off was gracefull the landing was bumpy!

Cindy

anitalaughs
(Member)
'nixon' wrote:

Bob

Let's hope you can achieve this ..I did a hot air ballon ride whilst in OZ it was amazing..

This is what happend on my flight.

It was a sunrise flight so was a very early start, you have to be able to climb into the basket and out, I found it easier climbing in than out!!!! Our basket was full of people so it can get a bit hard to be in the right place to get good photos...so think about that as I am sure you will be wanting good shots..also we had to help fold the balloon up once landed...the take off was gracefull the landing was bumpy!

Cindy

Hi Bob,

I did a hot air balloon ride about 3 years ago in Luxor while on a Nile Cruise. Have to say it was spectacular and have it all on dvd from the organisers. The sunrise is amazing so early in the morning.

As Cindy said getting in and out of the balloon was a hoot. There were about four sections in the balloon with 6 people in each. Me I don't like heights so for me that was an achievement.Unfortunately I don't think I would do it again after the balloon accident I think it was the year after.

Anita

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia and Cindy,

Many thanks for your replies. I remember the accident in Egypt a few years ago so presume this is at least part of the reason why they have been suspended from JY itineraries. I hope JY are actively researching the safety standards used by various companies that offer this activity in places visited by them and will re-incorporate them as soon as possible. In the meantime, I'll inquire when on tour as to whether this is an option when in Namibia.

All the best,

Bob

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

I did a fantastic balloon flight with Balloon Safaris Ltd in Kenya over the Mara - they were the first ever company to fly and have a great reputation. I didn't do the balloon on the JY Egypt holiday as the company sounded a bit iffy when I enquired about insurance (this was before the last accident). You do need to pay a premium on your insurance. The company who had the accident were an unauthorised outfit. Probably a bit of research online to establish a good company in Namibia - or better still if anyone on the Forum has done one. It is magical and certainly recommended - I had to be helped out of the basket due to my hip, but we certainly didn't have to help with inflating the balloon!

Cheers,

Hils

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks to Hils and Anita for your replies, I hope I'll get to do a balloon flight - if not in Namibia then somewhere at some stage!

Cheers,

Bob

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
I must admit I never thought about the insurance side of things I just assumed I was covered oooppppssss

Cindy

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi I've checked my insurance and I would be covered, so that's good anyhow!

Cheers,

Bob