BGray
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

Me again to bother you! Has the tour manager been allocated to this tour yet? How are the numbers shaping up for this tour and the add-on?

Best wishes,

Bob

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob (again)

You know I like being bothered - I'd be out of a job otherwise!

Yes you have a provisional Tour Manager - this is Branwen Edwards and it looks like she'll be travelling with the group from the UK.

In terms of numbers there are 11 travellers booked on the main tour only and a further 3 taking the main tour with Yangtze Cruises add on.

Kindest regards,

Julia

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
RogertheRed
(Member)
The last time I went to China there were 31 travellers. Perhaps the trip from Manchester on the 7th has reduced numbers. I think they may regret travelling from Manchester. I live 90 miles north of the airport therefore the extra cost of this holiday is £150 plus say £70 for petrol and parking. I can travel to Gatwick by train, stay in the Premier Inn with dinner and breakfast for a total cost of £130. However the main consideration is the travelling time from Gatwick to Beijing of 10.5 hours as opposed to Manchester to Beijing (via Doha) of 16.5 hours. To me the less time in the air is a no brainer.
BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Julia,

Have the numbers changed for this tour since I last asked?

Best wishes,

Bob

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Not by much - there is an additional traveller on the Yangtze add-on.

All the best,

Julia

BGray
(Member) (Topic Starter)
That was a quick reply, many thanks Julia - looks like we will be a small and select group!

Best wishes,

Bob

DPM
  • (Member)
(Member)
'RogertheRed' wrote:

The last time I went to China there were 31 travellers. Perhaps the trip from Manchester on the 7th has reduced numbers. I think they may regret travelling from Manchester. I live 90 miles north of the airport therefore the extra cost of this holiday is £150 plus say £70 for petrol and parking. I can travel to Gatwick by train, stay in the Premier Inn with dinner and breakfast for a total cost of £130. However the main consideration is the travelling time from Gatwick to Beijing of 10.5 hours as opposed to Manchester to Beijing (via Doha) of 16.5 hours. To me the less time in the air is a no brainer.

Having recently returned from the 7th September China trip, I can honestly say I don't regret for one moment opting for the Manchester departure.

As a non-driver relying on public transport, I'd almost certainly have to factor in an extra day before my departure and after my arrival back in the UK if I was flying from London. Manchester was so much more convenient for me. Furthermore, we had the use of an executive lounge prior to our departure - always the best way to meet fellow travellers.

We also benefited from extra time in Beijing. I gather the groups traveling from London arrive in Beijing and immediately commence the tours before even checking into the hotel. On arriving in Beijing mid-afternoon, our group had the luxury of being taken straight to our hotel and being given time to relax and unpack before a leisurely welcome drink and evening dinner, with the actual touring not starting until the following morning.

So it's all swings and roundabouts - what you lose out on in some respects, you gain in others. But I know most of the group were hoping for more Manchester departures, so I hope this is something JY stick with for the future.