SarahS
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This holiday is getting to the top of my wish list. Can you tell me if the included New York city tour is just a "drive by", or would there be any chance to take photographs other than through the bus windows?
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

I can tell you that there are opportunities to take photographs other than through the window of a bus. My colleague has gotten the following response from one of the tour managers that has led this trip...

"We have a stop in Central Park and sometimes a stop at Rockerfella Centre, definitely have a coffee stop in a central location such as central station or Trump Tower. "

Please note, it depends on which Tour Manager and driver you get as to where you have stops.

Kindest regards,

Julia

anniethenitnurse
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

When I did this last Sept/Oct, we had plenty of opportunity to take piccies, especially around Times Square and Rockefeller - our tour was on the Sunday evening and you certainly did see life in Times Square - manic, but brilliant. We didn't do the Empire State Building that night as visibility was poor, but some of us did it on the Monday and others on the Tuesday before we flew back home.

When we did the tour the following day, with lots of stops for piccies again, we did a walk through part of Central Park and stopped at Tiffany's on 5th Avenue. Also went to Ground Zero. So, plenty of opportunities for piccies.

Hope this helps

Anne

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

Another Tour Manager has provided us with details of their route:

"- short stroll in Central Park, passing Dakota Apartment block (John Lennon and Yoko lived here).

- stop at Grand Central station

- stop at Trump Tower on 5th Avenue

- brief stop in Battery Park if possible for photo of Statue of Liberty

- stop at St Paul's Chapel (near 9/11 Memorial)

Note, the exact route and stops are totally dictated by traffic conditions on the day, things like parades (frequent) can interrupt our plans. New York traffic is a law unto itself. We do as much as we can in a 4 hour period, but we definitely do not just sit on the bus. "

I hope this information helps.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Sussex Downs
(Member)
Hi Julia, Sarah has asked one of the questions re photo stops on the half day New York tour. Re Grand Central Station, I take it there is time to go inside the building.

On the New York City break, included is the Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan. I have been on their web site and assume it is ‘Statue of Liberty Express’, but which one, Zephyr or NYWT? What would be the best time to go, the afternoon after the city tour or on the last morning? Will book online nearer the time.

What time do we leave the hotel on the last day as I will want to go to the Empire State Building (again will buy the ticket online).

I have booked the 14th September tour, so what are the numbers like, male /female ratio and approx age range?

Malcolm

SarahS
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you. As it would likely be my one and only visit to NY, I don't want to miss anything. Now trying to decide between 23 September main tour and 29 September with add on. But, very nervous about being on my own for two days. Are there any bookings for the 29 Sept add on yet Julia.
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sarah,

There are so many amazing things to see and do in NYC - I would advise you to make a New York bucket list to make sure you do see everything you want to.

In terms of bookings there are currently 4 travellers booked on the Canada & New England in the Fall with New York add-on trip departing on the 29th September so you certainly wouldn't be alone (with another 7 people booked on the main tour only).

Kindest regards,

Julia

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
hello from Egypt!!!!

I am on the NYC tour 23rd... If it's going to be your only visit I would urge you to do the add on...I am looking forward to planning my own things and spending time to re do things, .. It's very safe out there and I don't think you will be the only one left behind....

Cindy

bourkie
(Member)
Hello Sarah,

I did this trip 30th September 2013. We arrived into New York Thursday 10 October mid afternoon went to our hotel did what one does, we all met up downstairs where the breakfast room was, as the hotel had put on a buffet for hotel guests. we left the hotel onto the coach for New York by night tour passing Times Square onto the Empire State Building able to go up to the top, it was cold and windy but dry and clear lots of pictures taken by everyone. We left there and went to Rockerfella centre all the trees had lots of tiny white lights we had an added bonus as they where starting work on the ice skating rink!. Lots of pics taken it was time to get back onto the coach back to Times Square but unable to park so pics taken from coach then onto hotel.

Friday 11th was the only full day in New York but you will be surprised what you can fit in and how busy your camera will be!. Went to Central Park passing Dakota Apartments we where told Yoko still lives there, into Central Park for a walk with our NY guide back onto bus next stop 5th Avenue went into Trump Tower cufflinks

bought ( the loos in here are nice), back onto coach able to park for Grand Central we had some

free time here downstairs is a big food hall lots of decorated pumpkins, vegetables, cakes, fruit, fish etc..

then back upstairs more pics there where two young servicemen in there uniforms who where happy to have their pictures taken by themselves and anyone else who wanted theirs taken with them. Back onto coach and down to drop off people who had booked the helicopter rides. Off we went passed Ground Zero did not stop but took pics from the bus. Back to hotel but dropped off at Macys went in for lunch and shopping, Came out to crowded busy noisey streets, to Time Square more pics walked back to hotel time to repack cases with shopping

some of our group where leaving to go down to Ground Zero and then a show as we arrived back.

Saturday 12th October Cases out early after breakfast we left to do The Circle Line Cruise around Manhatten, this cruise was well worth doing and of course lots of pics able to get close to Statue of Liberty because the government strike was still on no one could go up into the statue but to be able to take the pics that we did it did not matter. At the end of the cruise we returned to the hotel they have complimentary hot/cold drinks we bought sandwiches from the deli over the had so had some lunch before we left for the airport. Arrived said our goodbyes to our tour guide Sussanah , booked in had snacks went to the gate and waited and waited our flight was delayed by an hour due to the air crew being held up in NY traffic!!.

Anyone going on these tours if you have the time to do the NY add on you should do it as there is so much to see and do not enough time. Please do enjoy your tour the first part is so full of history and heritage in fact the whole tour is full!

I am going to do the New York city break in October with my travel Buddy as we want to see what we missed!.

Regards Lillie

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Sussex wrote:

Hi Julia, Sarah has asked one of the questions re photo stops on the half day New York tour. Re Grand Central Station, I take it there is time to go inside the building.

On the New York City break, included is the Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan. I have been on their web site and assume it is ‘Statue of Liberty Express’, but which one, Zephyr or NYWT? What would be the best time to go, the afternoon after the city tour or on the last morning? Will book online nearer the time.

What time do we leave the hotel on the last day as I will want to go to the Empire State Building (again will buy the ticket online).

I have booked the 14th September tour, so what are the numbers like, male /female ratio and approx age range?

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

With regards to Grand Central Station, you will have seen that we've had a couple of responses from different tour managers that run slightly different tours and that stops and routes are subject to the traffic and any events happening around the city.

The Circle Cruise I understand is available as an optional excursion if you would like to take the trip with fellow Just You travellers. In terms or timings if you would prefer to do this independently - either the afternoon of day 12 or the morning of day 13 are suitable

At the minute you have an early evening flight so you would certainly have the morning to do your own thing on day 13 - obviously flight times are subject to change and would be confirmed in your final documents.

On to numbers - at the moment there are13 travellers booked on this trip with ages from late-30s through to early-80s with 4 men and 9 women.

Kindest regards,

Julia

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi all,

I'm not on this trip but have been to NYC a couple of times and thought I might mention that there is an observation deck at the top of the GE building at the Rockefeller Centre. It's called 'Top of the Rock' and I did this on my last visit to NYC in 2009. People have mentioned the Empire State building on previous posts, which of course is very famous, but I wondered if they knew about the observation deck at the GE building. Views are fantastic from here - looking south you can see the Empire State and all the way out to the Statue of Liberty on a clear day. Looking north, you have great views of Central Park, so it's well worth a visit if you have the time, either as an addition to the Empire State or an alternative if the queues are too long at the Empire State. There is a website for 'Top of the Rock' so it's worth checking it out.

The best FREE attraction has to be the Staten Island ferry which affords great views of the Statue of Liberty, NYC skyline etc, as you just hop on and then immediately get the return ferry if time is short. Locals use it to commute daily to and from Manhattan so that's the reason it's free.

Have a great time whatever you decide.

All the best

Mike

SusieB
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike thanks for the info it's really helpful. I'm on Sept 29th New England & NY trip so hints like yours are very welcome.

Best wishes

Sue

mikew
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sue,

My pleasure....hope you have a great time. New England in the fall is something that I'd like to get around to but I'm booked up for this year and NYC is just great! The most exciting city in the world?.....absolutely!

Cheers

Mike

magpie10
(Member)
I've been to New York twice and both times I've purchased a New York Pass - I got mine from attraction tickets, but there are other companies who sell them - just make sure they are legitimate first. If you're staying on in New York for a few days, it may be worth getting a 2 day pass. At the moment it's about £76, but we went up the Empire State Building, the Rock, Circle line cruise, got a water taxi to Battery Park, got the ferry across to Ellis Island, which has a very interesting museum and we got lunch there, then went to Liberty Island and walked round the Statue of Liberty (think it costs extra to go up though, it was closed when we were there), Intrepid aircraft museum/carrier. There's loads of things you can do, and when you work out how much each would cost individually it's well worth it, plus it saves you keep forking out to do things, and you often can queue jump with the card too. You have to use it on consecutive days so once you start using it, you have to use it the next day too, but we got caught up in hurricane Sandy after using ours for a day last time and they gave us a free 2 day pass to make up for it so I've no complaints and would definately use them again.