kerry262
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I've received my info pack for the South Africa Explorer with add on and was wondering whether, you can pay for the excursions that are only bookable in resort on a debit/credit card, or does it have to be cash. Also what currency is used in Zambia, as I see that the visa has to be paid for in $ U.S.

😃

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Kerry262

For those excursions that you book in resort, you will need to pay in the local currency - generally credit/debit card payments are not accepted.

In Zambia the currency is the Kwacha. Payments within Zambia can be made in kwachas only, by law, even if the price is quoted in USD; foreign currency will not be accepted once you have cleared immigration at the airport.

Hope this information helps,

Julia

Worldtraveller
(Member)
Julia,

Are you sure this is correct about not using US dollars in Zambia. Everyone on the forum says to take US dollars no one has mentioned having to have kwachas. Where do you get them from and how do we know how many to get as we have meals etc to pay for in Zambia and trips. Can anyone who has been update me. I go on the Sep 30 trip. I thought I was all organised so please let me know so I can sort things out. Tricia

Worldtraveller
(Member)
Sent you a post on Friday on this subject did you get it.? Tricia
Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Tricia,

Yes - I'm getting it double and triple checked with our overseas liason.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Tricia,

I've spoken with our team upstairs, they've sought advice from the tour manager and spoken with another agent as to how they advise customers and....

It is true that payment can only be made in Kwacha, however you cannot buy Kwacha in the UK. You can change US$ into Zambia and change this at banks etc. We have been informed that the resort does have a Barclays Bank where customers can change their currency into Kwacha. You will need US$ in order to pay for your Zambia visa on arrival.

The other agent that we spoke with said systems were advising that you could take US$ into Zambia, but they believe that's because they then have to change the US$ into the local currency.

With regards to the amount of money that they want to take ultimately that will be your decision. However, the hotel is Zambia has advised: The lunch and dinners are within the range of ZMW200.00 per person.

I hope that has helped(?)

Kindest regards,

Julia

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi All

I went to South Africa + Zambia add on in March of last year. My final holiday documentation advised that excursions in South Africa should be paid for in Rand and those in Zambia with either US Dollar or Sterling. In Zambia you charge meals/drinks to your room and pay by credit or debit card. So I am surprised at the advice that Kwacha is needed. For peace of mind, I suggest you consult the relevant country's embassy via Mr Google.

Regards

Sylvia

kerry262
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
This is the email that I have received from the Zambian High Commission in London, reference currency.

Thank you for the inquiry,

visa fees are paid in US dollar at the port of entry but all other transactions in Zambia must be done in kwacha which you can buy at any bureau de change or commercial Bank in Zambia.

warm regards

immigration section

SylviaJ
(Member)
Kerry

Well done, its certainly changed since I was there. The Gov.UK website is good too:

"Money

ATMs are available in Lusaka and some major towns, but tend to only accept Visa and not Mastercard. Major credit cards are increasingly accepted by larger shops, hotels, restaurants and tour operators. Many companies charge a 5% fee for the use of credit cards. Make sure credit cards are swiped no more than necessary and that all carbons are destroyed. Only use reputable banks and bureaux de change to exchange money or use ATMs as counterfeit US$100 and Zambian Kwacha 50 notes are in circulation.

Since May 2012 all transactions taking place within Zambia must be carried out in the local (Kwacha) currency. While foreign currency can still be exchanged in Zambia, it is against the law to quote, pay or demand to be paid or receive foreign currency as legal tender for goods, services or any other domestic transaction. Doing so can result in a fine or a 10 year prison sentence.

In August 2012, the government approved the Bank of Zambia’s proposal to rebase the Kwacha. The new currency was introduced on 1 January 2013 using a rate of 1000 old Kwacha = 1 new Kwacha. Old Kwacha will remain legal tender until 30 June 2013."

Have a good trip.

Sylvia