Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
A number of Just You travellers have to at times take their holidays with Travelsphere as the tour they want to take is not available with Just You.

As you are all part of Page & Moy, is it possible if any single traveller who is going with Travelsphere and has a question about their holiday go on the Just You community web site as Travelsphere do not have one?

I am sure they would have travelled with Just You if the tour was available as I believe it is better if you are single to travel with other single travellers on a tour, although I have not had a problem in the past.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Malcolm,

Absolutely! In fact we've recently answered a couple of questions for another member who is booked as a solo traveller on a Travelsphere holiday.

I understand that many years ago there was a Travelsphere community, but as it wasn't being used when the site was re-developed around 2010 it wasn't included.

Kindest regards,

Julia

the_baron1
(Member)
Hi Julia,

For information my partner has recently returned from the Travelsphere Hawaii holiday ( May 13 till May 26th). She went as a single person. I believe JY Hawaii holiday in October is the same holiday with San Deigo stop over before flyout to Hawaii with Los Angles the final destination before return to the UK.

Athough portage and baggage was included in the Travelsphere price, All the Travelsphere group were charged baggage ( 18 US Dollars ) by Hawaiian Airlines for transfer between Honolulu, O'ahu and Maui. The tour manager for the group said they would have to pay this costs even after everyone objected saying baggage costs were included in the holiday price.

Thought I would point this out to you at JY. Would have thought travelsphere feedback would flag this up and pass on the information to you. So it won't be a shock to JY group when in Hawaii.

Regards

Eric.

161ann
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thank you Malcolm for the question. I too am thinking of booking with Travelsphere

As I would like to do western US in Feb 2014 and would love to hear from any J Y members who may be thinking of doing the trip.

I guess if the Feb date was to be available with J Y it would have been in the new updated brochure, or is there still a chance of it being in the Sept issue?

Perhaps we can have a Travelsphere heading on J Y community for single travellers to contact each other.:exclamation:

Thank you

Ann:

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Eric,

I have spoken to our customer services team about this - I'm sure you are aware that we do value the comments and feedback from all of our customers (regardless of which brand they travel with) to help ensure we deliver on the holidays you book. My colleague has asked me to forward the following on to you, and to share with the wider community.

We are very sorry there was an administration error on our Aloha Hawaii holiday departing May 2013. A charge was made to our customers for their luggage, on the flight between the islands, by the local airline. We are in the process of refunding all those customers who were affected. Our team have resolved this error and our customers will not be charged on future tours. Again we apologise for the inconvenience.

Kindest regards,

Julia

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Eric

I'm booked on the JY Hawaii trip in October and would be very interested to hear your wife's opinion of the trip when you have a spare moment.

Sally

the_baron1
(Member)
'Julia' wrote:

Hi Eric,

I have spoken to our customer services team about this - I'm sure you are aware that we do value the comments and feedback from all of our customers (regardless of which brand they travel with) to help ensure we deliver on the holidays you book. My colleague has asked me to forward the following on to you, and to share with the wider community.

We are very sorry there was an administration error on our Aloha Hawaii holiday departing May 2013. A charge was made to our customers for their luggage, on the flight between the islands, by the local airline. We are in the process of refunding all those customers who were affected. Our team have resolved this error and our customers will not be charged on future tours. Again we apologise for the inconvenience.

Kindest regards,

Julia

Thanks for that Julia,

Will tell my partner that travelsphere are refunding that charge incurred in Hawaii. She has not heard from them so far.

Eric.

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Not a problem Eric,

If there is anything else I can help with just get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Julia

the_baron1
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Eric

I'm booked on the JY Hawaii trip in October and would be very interested to hear your wife's opinion of the trip when you have a spare moment.

Sally

Good morning Sally,

Will reply later on today when I get home from work.

Eric.

valerie lund
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Eric

Sally

Hawaii trip in October has caught my interest but I cant find it in the JY brochure I have. Will try and find info on line. Val

Sally-Anne
(Member)
Hawaii trip in October has caught my interest but I cant find it in the JY brochure I have. Will try and find info on line. Val

Hello Val,

The Hawaii tour can be found here...

http://www.justyou.co.uk/destinations/north-america/northern-america/united-states/aloha-hawaii/ 

Kind Regards, Sally-Anne

the_baron1
(Member)
'the_baron1' wrote:

'sallyc' wrote:

Eric

Sally

Good morning Sally,

Will reply later on today when I get home from work.

Eric.

Hello again Sally,

My partner loved the holiday to Hawaii and San Deigo but was not to impressed by Los Angeles.

San Deigo. - Could have done with another day or two. Hotel excellent and tours arranged excellent. Sightseeing tour very good and Bay cruise excellent. Julia wanted to go to San Deigo zoo and when fellow travellers found out a number of them tagged along. An extra day to visit Seaworld and Lego land might be considered for future holidays. She did not eat in the hotel as close by there was a few restaurants. She eat at Dennys for breakfast & dinner which were cheap and excellent value.

Early start (0500) to get up to Los Angeles for 10ish flight to Hawaii.

Waikiki, O'ahu. - Hotel large complex situated in heart of Waikiki right next to International market were you can get food etc almost anytime. Tour to Pearl harbour excellent and very moving for Julia. Not to be missed. Evening Hawaiian Lu'ua and buffet dinner cruise is also excellent. Julia says that Jewelery (pearls, gold and silver) matching sets abundent but be careful as they initially ask very high prices and you have to haggle to get the prices down to a realistic level.

One bad point was that the group was picked up very early for transfer to the airport because the coach driver had another tour group to pick up and therefore the wait at Honolulu airport was excessive.

As stated early in the thread each piece of baggage was carged 18USD by Hawaiian Airlines for transfer from O'ahu to Maui. ( 20 minut flight). This charge will not happen hopefully as JY should have sorted this problem out.

Lahaina, Maui. - This was the best part of the holiday according to Julia. Quiet, relaxing place with excellent hotel and facilities. Near empty beaches to wander on and relax.

The excursion to Haleakala creater for sunrise starts at 2am with a pick up from the hotel. Be warned. Take quited items and wrap up with warm clothes as it gets very cold going up and at the top of the creater. ALSO take a torch as it is comletely pitch black and a number of the Travelsphere group tripped and injured themselves.

Julia says that next time she goes to Hawaii she would stay the whole time at Maui instead of all the travelling involved.

Los Angeles - Really after arriving late evening from Hawaii there was only one day to see the sights of Hollywood etc. The hotel is situated by a 5 lane freeway with nothing much around to do.

The tour to Hollywood Bowl, Sunset strip was worth doing but Julia felt very uneasy on part of the tour to Santa Monica. She says that everywere you went into smelt of pot and was constantly offered dope near the beach area. She was very uncomfortable there!

The final day before the early evening flight was a lost morning due to waiting to be picked up at around 2pm for transfer to the airport. Not a lot to do as stated before around the hotel.

A really good book on Hawaii that Julia recommends is DK Eyewitness Travel at £14.99 that was very helpful and informative. I think Waterstones or Smiths stock it.

Bad points of the holiday, lots of waiting around at airports and transfers. Long flights.

Regards

Eric.

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Val

If you do fancy the Hawaii trip there are only 3 places left according to the website. With 37 people booked I guess it's likely to be repeated over the next few years but so far hasn't been listed so if it really does appeal don't hang around!

Sally

the_baron1
(Member)
Morning again Sally,

My partner Julia remembered this morning that she went on another cruise in Waikiki whilst there. It was excellent and an extra excursion offered. It's called "Ali'l Catamaran dinner cruise "at 94 USD per person. It features a captavating Polynesian show with dancers, drummers and chanters whilst on the cruise whilst having dinner. Well worth it she says.

Eric.

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks Eric for a brilliant review. I'm looking forward to it even more now. I will certainly check out that book.

Sally

valerie lund
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Val

If you do fancy the Hawaii trip there are only 3 places left according to the website. With 37 people booked I guess it's likely to be repeated over the next few years but so far hasn't been listed so if it really does appeal don't hang around!

Sally

Thanks for advice Sally but after reading review via Eric's wife, doesn't sound too wonderful with long flights and hanging around.

Ariya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Thanks for the review! Really looking forward to going.

I've been looking at travelsphere broshures for next year. Really fancy Indonesia but don't think I'd want to go with a group company just yet. Would be too worried incase it was all couples and I'd feel awkward on my own. Maybe in a few years when I've got used to traveling. Although would be interested to hear about other solos using travelsphere 🙂

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hayley

I feel the same about Travelsphere. As a 41 year old female I think I would feel awkward trying to join in with the couples in case the ladies thought I was trying to steal their man. This is most likely a ridiculous assumption to make (and not true of course) but I think I'll wait until I've run out of JY holidays before I switch over.

Sally

Sussex Downs
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Ariya and understand how you feel about a non dedicated singles tour operator. Well don’t.

I went with Travelsphere last year on the ‘Canyons, National Parks and Little Big Horn’, which by the way is a ‘must do tour’. There were about eight single people. Us singles and the couples just joined together and was not a problem.

In September I shall be going again with Travelsphere on the ‘San Francisco to Vancouver & the Oregon Coast’ (Just You do not do this tour) and when I spoke to them this week there are about 10 single people on this tour so far out of 23. The majority are as usual women.

I have been with other tour operators and being single or age is not a problem.

So go on and give Travelsphere a call and ask them what dates have single people booked, sex and their ages.

All the best,

Malcolm

Julia
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ariya,

As Travelsphere is part of the same group as Just You, if there is a particular date you are interested in, I can look at our system and give you the same information as if you were travelling with Just You (numbers booked and whether any are solo travellers, ages and gender ratio).

Kindest regards,

Julia