AnnF
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Ben

One or two people recently have been getting confused about which section to post their questions into. I get the impression that they are new members and I know the workings of the site can be a bit mysterious - even Cindy had a question about it recently! Among others was one in "Reviews" asking if anyone else was going on a certain holiday and did anyone have any comments on it, and another in "Tour Managers" which was actually addressed to you and concerned passports for the US.

When a question or comment has been posted a message comes up saying that it has to be mediated before it can go public. I assume this is done by a human being (you?) rather than a computer; if so, could a message which doesn't really belong in that section be gently nudged along to where it should be? That way it might be spotted right away by someone who could help rather than being come across accidentally when looking for something else.

I realise that you are a very busy person and keeping an eye on our questions and comments isn't your only job but, with all the new people who seem to have found the site, a little guidance/nudge before their messages "go public" might help.

Best wishes, Ann

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Good morning Ann,

Thank you for your post; I do appreciate what you are saying 🙂

I will keep my eye out on posts, it is purely because the forum is so busy, having come back in this morning from the weekend, there have been over 60 new posts and 50 new threads with questions to answer! It's great it's so busy but it does mean I sometimes have the odd oversight!

If you do come across any posts that you think need moving and I have missed them, please do let me know and I can move them 🙂

Kindest,

Ben

AnnF
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Sorry, Ben. I wasn't trying to teach Granny to suck eggs - honestly! I was just concerned that some queries were going unanswered because they weren't where they ought to be.

I see what you mean about the amount of messages you have to look at - in the short time I was on the site earlier this morning at least two new threads appeared!

Best wishes, Ann

PS If I do see something which I don't think should be in its present section, how do I let you know? Do I press the "Report this item to a moderator"?

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Ann,

No no not at all, please don't think that, I do appreciate the feedback and vigilance of our members!

Yes you can do it that way if you wish, that will be fine.

Kindest,

Ben

Mick W
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ben,

I noticed the post in the reviews section and thought exactly the same.

Another thing that happens on a regular basis with newbies is that they don't realise the posts need moderating and when it doesn't show immediately do numerous attempts all saying the same thing. Perhaps during the moderators checks these repeat poss could be edited out.

Mick

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ben

Your doing a great job!!!:cool:

Perhaps they could get you a helper to give you a hand LOL......:thumbup:

Very hot out here in Gran Caneria we left LGW with snow on the ground.....

keep up the good work, if you get to stressed 😛 take a break.

Be back soon Cindy :angel:

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ann and Mick,

I agree completely with what you both have said. It would be very helpful to all of us using the forum, if posts could be re-directed to the right section when necessary. Also reading duplicate/near identical posts is VERY irritating!! There's surely no need for the repetition of identical or near identical posts if someone has posted the same text more than once. Finally, while I'm getting things off my chest, could very obvious spelling mistakes be corrected e.g. there was a recent thread entitled America's Holden West - I'm not suggesting that every spelling mistake be corrected but just the most obvious ones that would aid our comprehension. I've suggested previously when people ask a question on the Editor section that if it is going to take a while for an answer, that their post be put up on the forum immediately, with a reply from Ben or whoever, to say something to the effect "thanks for your post - it'll take me a day or two to find the information and I'll put up a full answer then." This should help to put some anxious people's minds at rest. Hope this helps?!!

Cheers,

Bob

sallyc
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ben

Is there any way we can ban Cindy from posting while she's away on holiday? :dodgy:

It's very cruel of her to be posting from Gran Canaria in the lovely warm sunshine while we are all shivering in our thermals!!! :P:P:P

Sally

;)

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sally!

Haha, I couldn't do that to Cindy....even though I too am in desperate need of some sun! :thumbup:

Kindest,

Ben

Mel P
  • (Member)
(Member)
'sallyc' wrote:

Ben

Is there any way we can ban Cindy from posting while she's away on holiday? :dodgy:

It's very cruel of her to be posting from Gran Canaria in the lovely warm sunshine while we are all shivering in our thermals!!! :P:P:P

Sally

;)

Lol. I am sure that Cindy will come back with a response upon her return.

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ben, any response from my comments above?

All the best,

Bob

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

In regards to this, I could absolutely state that a response may take a few days, the only problem is; when I approve a thread it goes into the forum and it is sometimes hard to find them again, so I don't approve posts until I have the ability to answer it, I can certainly have a look into a different method though because your points are quite valid,

Kindest,

Ben

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
There is no getting away from me;) TO BE HONEST I have just crawled off the lounger as needed to Cool :huh: down ..I know your cold in EnglAnd LOL but I am not:P....

Be back to cold weather far to soon:dodgy: and will assist on the boards where and when I can ....

I hope you have enjoyed the mini break from my tweetering ons

Cindy:angel:

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ben thanks for your reply; I understand where you're coming from because if I look at the forum on my phone and spot a post I want to reply to, it can be hard for me to find it again when I'm next on my laptop! It must be especially tricky for you when someone asks a number of questions and you answer the first one, and then have to remember to go back to that post to answer their other questions.

So I've a suggestion to make your life a little easier and it's easy to implement too!! How about you keep a pen and A4 pad (or something similar) beside your computer and when someone asks a question that will take time to answer, or asks more than one question, you make a note on your pad, with the name of the thread and which questions still need to be addressed. Then you'll easily see which posts you still have to reply to and can tick them off when they are completed!

At the same time, if you have already acknowledged the post on the forum and flagged it as needing research before a reply, then this would cut down on the number of repetitive posts and stop people getting frustrated if you haven't answered all their questions! What do you think?

All the best,

Bob

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Morning Bob,

I am armed with my pen and paper 🙂

Kindest,

Ben

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Ben, that's great! You can now stick a new pin in my voodoo doll!!! Sorry if I've annoyed you, I am genuinely trying to be helpful!

All the best,

Bob

PS I'm just wondering if I should have patented my breakthrough idea before airing it on the forum, what a missed opportunity!!

Ben
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Bob,

Haha, worry not, I am made of stronger stuff than that, I like ideas being floated, it all helps everything work a little bit better 🙂

All the best for now,

Kindest,

Ben

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Ben..Bob:thumbup:

how about arranging for a face to face meet up so we can all brain storm together as I am sure amongst us all LOL:P there are ideas that could benefit us and all the others..... Or a video conference call !!!!!!!!!:cool:

Sun still out here approx 75 !!!! But will be back in blighty by late evening..boo hoo

Cindy:angel: