mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly,

Although I am not booked to go on the South Africa Explorer with Victoria Falls add on until 21st September, I want to try and get an idea of what clothes are best to take. I want to travel as light as possible however as I am away for nearly 3 weeks it is a long time when you only have 1 suitcase. I assume evenings are just smart casual (no jacket or tie reqd) but what about during the day especially when on excursions or game drives. Is the weather suitable for shorts and T shirts or would lightweight trousers be better. I'm also aware of the risks of being biten so are long sleeves better than short or does this only apply in the evenings.

Do any of the hotels have or offer laundry facilities especially those were we stay for more than 1 night. At least that way I can freshen things up a bit.

Many thanks

Mike

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Mike

September is spring time in South Africa so it won't be hugely hot - a typical temperature might be around 15 degrees Celsius. So I would take a mixture of shorts, light trousers and maybe something warmer too. Long sleeved tops might be a good bet but again, I would take a mixture so you can decide once you know what the weather is like each day. A good insect repellent should be enough to save you from any nasty bites. There's no need to dress up in the evenings - it's all very informal.

I've had a look through your itinerary and because you will be making quite a few overnight stays, washing clothes might be difficult. Your best bet looks like the Thanda Nani Lodge at Kruger National Park, who offer laundry facilities, according to their website. You will stay there about halfway through your holiday, so the timing is good for refreshing your wardrobe. Please bear in mind it isn't 100% certain that you will be staying at this property as it will depend on availability. But fingers crossed, any alternative lodge will offer similar facilities.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you for the suggestions. Very useful.

Mike

DebbieLS
(Member)
Hi Mike,

I don't know if this will help. When i went to National Parks USA with Just You I took limited clothes as I didnt want to cart them around. I also didnt want a suitcase full of dirty clothes as we were away for about 2 weeks.

I just hand washed clothes then hung them in the shower. I packed a large plastic bag so if they were still a bit damp when we moved hotels I laid them in top of case them hung them up again. Was really easy and clothes dried fast.

Didnt miss having more clothes and had clean ones in the case and didnt have sand in the case either!

Hope this helps.

Debbie

mikethesaint
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds well worth doing.

I think my biggest concern is what the weather will be like and having the right clothes. I keep thinking it will be hot and sunny but I have to keep reminding myself it will only be spring in South Africa when I go and the temperatures are not that high.

Anyway thanks for the tip about washing.

Mike