Terri
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi,

How soon can I expect to receive information regarding what to take with me for this trip? Also, does all my luggage stay with me or does some of it go on to the hotel?

Thanks.

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Terri

You'll receive all your final information 2-3 weeks before you fly but I've copied the main points here for you.

•The safari drives are taken early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Before sunrise & after sunset temperatures can be cold so it is advisable to take an extra warm layer like a jacket or a warm fleece. Throughout the safaris, layers of clothing are best, long sleeved shirt & long cotton trousers are handy if any mosquitoes are around.

•Sturdy walking shoes are recommended for this kind of holiday.

•Important items to take: - Sunglasses, sun lotion, insect repellent, hat, camera, lots of film, lightweight binoculars are also useful

•A small day bag/rucksack is recommended to keep items in during the safari drives

•A torch is useful for the lodges

As for the luggage, we ask you to bring a a soft-sided holdall type bag containing everything you need for the safari part of the holiday in addition to your main luggage.

This is because space is limited on the safari Your main luggage will be safely stored in Mombasa for the beach part of your holiday.

If you have booked a regional connecting flight via Heathrow, then you will only be entitled to take 1 x 20kg luggage. If so, we recommend you pack your soft-sided bag inside your main luggage for the flight.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Olly

I am on this tour late Sept + add on flying from LHR, I knew we had to have 2 cases (Bags) 1 beach part 1 for Safari. So are you saying if I am flying from LHR can I have two bags in the hold or do I have to put the soft bag (Safari) into the main case and just pull that out when we get there? or can I have two cases totaling 20kgs? sorry if this sounds vague !!

Cindy

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Cindy

If you are flying from Heathrow you can take 2 x 23kg bags with you. One of them could be your soft-sided holdall but alternatively you could store the holdall inside one of the other two bags.

You will only be limited to 1 x 20kg if you are flying from a regional airport.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

nixon
  • (Member)
(Member)
Olly

Wow 2 bag's so need to buy more clothes..only joking, that's good makes my life easier.

Cindy

janicek
(Member)
Hi Olly,

Why are there no regional connecting flights for this trip? If there was a connecting flight the airline normally accept the luggage allowance that the main flight offers.

If a customer had to arrange a separate flight this basically halves their allowance.

Janice

Terri
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly

Do you really mean that we are allowed 46kg of luggage?

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Terri

Yes, that is correct! You can take two bags, each weighing no more than 23kg.

Bear in mind that if you have a connecting flight from a regional airport, your luggage allowance may be lower.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Janice

I'm told that although we don't advertise connecting flight prices for Kenya, we can arrange flights for you on a separate ticket. Please give us a ring on 0844 567 8844 if you would like us to do this for you.

Flights to Heathrow start at £89pp from Manchester, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Belfast, Glasgow and Edinburgh, but prices depend on availability and where you are flying from. I'm afraid you will still be restricted to the connecting airline's luggage limit. Airlines seem to be increasingly strict about this these days.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

janicek
(Member)
Hi Olly,

I haven't actually booked for kenya yet but thought I would check out the post anyhow. In previous years I have had a through ticket which meant my luggage went straight to Calgary from Belfast, and last year Belfast to Capetown. No need to collect luggage at Heathrow and the higher allowance was always honoured. What has changed?

Thanks,

Janice

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Janice

There aren't any hard and fast rules about connecting flights as it depends on arrangements with the airlines and other partners around the world. As you say, connecting flights are usually available and baggage can generally be checked straight through but sometimes it isn't possible. I hope you won't be put off as this is just a minor inconvenience and more than compensated for by the incredible experience you will have in Kenya.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

2468rosemary
(Member)
Can you please tell me Olly can both Case and holdall both go into the hold (check them both in) ??? Thanks Regards Rosemary
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Rosemary

I've answered your other message on this subject. Let me know if it still aren't clear!

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor