Jaya
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Olly

I just wanted to let you know how difficult it has been to get through customer services. I have been trying since Friday 10 July as I wanted to pay my invoice balance. I tried several times and each time gave up after holding for several minutes. I have now mailed a cheque and hope they receive it by the deadline. Maybe they are short of staff!

Regards

Jaya

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jaya,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry you had trouble getting through - our call centres have been particularly busy lately. I've let our customers services department know that your cheque is in the post.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

Jennifer Last
(Member)
Am I correct in thinking that I do not need to apply for a visa to enter the USA as I have a machine readable passport issued in 2007 and am a British subject. Found the leaflet a little confusing. Thanks
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jennifer,

Effective from 12th January 2009, all travellers to the USA are now required to complete an ESTA - Electronic System for Travel Authorisation form. This service is currently free and all the information as well as the online application form can be found by following this link:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ 

As long as you have your passport details to hand it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes and it is recommended that you make your application at least 72 hours before you travel.

Kind regards

Olly, your editor

Jennifer Last
(Member)
Hi,

Thanks for the info regarding ESTA, have been authorised as accepted but still have a query as on your helpful information leaflet it states "any new passports issued after (26 Oct 2006) will not be valid without a visa" It seems that after this date you need a Biometric passport. My passport was renewed in Feb 2007 but is not Biometric. Does this mean I have to apply for a visa? Your advice would be helpful.

Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jennifer

For the clearest explanation of which passports are acceptable, please have a look at the following page on the US Embassy's website:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp3.html 

According to this page, 'If the passport was issued, renewed/extended on or after October 26, 2006, it must also include an integrated circuit chip capable of storing the biographic information from the data page, a digitized photograph and other biometric information.'

So it sounds to me like you will need to get either a new biometric passport or a visa.

If I were you I would get in touch with the US Embassy to be certain - it may be that your passport IS biometric, as it was issued very recently.

You can call the embassy on 09042 450100, but be warned that calls to this line are charged at £1.20/min from BT landlines.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor

Jennifer Last
(Member)
Hi, thanks for your e-mail have checked the website that you gave me and I have checked my passport. I do have the E-motive on the front and also have a chip capable of holding information in the back. So I am now OK to travel under my passport. Thanks for your help and I apologise for being a dumb dumb.
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jennifer

I'm glad everything is OK with your passport now. Have a great holiday.

Kind regards,

Olly, your editor