carolmccullough
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi, I've just received my itinery for the above holiday, it says that the excersion to Robben Island should be booked from here before we leave. As this is my first time visiting South Africa I am keen to see as much as possible but with the winelands tour on day 3 and Cape of Good Hope tour on day 4 it is hard to see when to fit in an excursion to Robben Island. Looking at the itinery it would seem that the only time to go would be on the first day after Table Mountain and checking into the hotel. As much as I would like to visit Robben Island I am reluctant to book it before I go as I am concerned about being the only person going from our tour, and really don't want to go on my own. Please could you advise me if there is time to do this excursion after booking into the hotel, also would it be possible to book it after arriving and is there anyway of finding out if others on this holiday are booking it too. Thank you. Carol
Olly
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Carol,

It is getting very difficult to book Robben Island on arrival due to the popularity of this tour however, there are two options available to you if you want to guarantee a place on this extra excursion:

1. Visit on Day 3 of your holiday. You would have to miss the optional tour of The Winelands to fit this in – as you have mentioned that you would like to see as much as possible so this is probably not going to be your preferred option.

2. Visit on the afternoon of Day 2, so you can still do the orientation tour of Cape Town. If you prefer this option, please book as late in the afternoon as possible. You would also need to make your own way back to the hotel by taxi for dinner.

The only way to find out whether or not your fellow travellers are booked on this tour is to take a look at, or post a message, on the message board. If you click on the message board tab above and search for “Robben Island” you can see if there is a discussion for your date of travel.

I hope this information helps you make your decision.

Kind regards,

Julia, your editor

janicek
(Member)
Hi Carol,

I did this holiday last year and wanted to go to Robben Island so pre booked online for a friend and myself. We opted not to go on the Winelands tour. However other people in our group had not pre booked and had no difficulty getting tickets at V&A Waterfront where tours leave from. Some of us did a morning trip, others opted for an evening trip.

I'm sure your tour manager would be able to suss out others who wish to go to Robben Island then you will have company. It certainly was a good trip to do, interesting and informative.

Janice