Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I wanted to say hello to anyone else who is going on the Namibia Tribes and Natural Wonders trip in May 2020.  The trip seemed so far away when I booked it early last year and is now only four months away.  I have read some very interesting reviews from people who travelled to Namibia in 2018 but as most of the hotels seem to have been changed would appreciate any other information from travellers in 2019.  Thank you.
lw491
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Maureen

I went on the May 2019 holiday to Namibia. It was absolutely fascinating, so different to any others. Our tour manager was Lynn Maskett and our local tour guide and driver was Leonard. Both excellent.

Our hotels were Safari Court, Desert Homestead Lodge, Bay View Hotel, Twyfelfontein Country Lodge, Etosha Safar Lodge, Mokuti Lodge. A torch is helpful for the walk back to your room after dinner.

Do book the Dolphin and Seal Catamaran Cruise and the Living Desert 4x4 Dune Adventure at Walvis Bay area, not to be missed.

You will have a wonderful holiday.

Linda

cjh
  • (Member)
(Member)
I’ve been looking at booking this holiday as the pictures look amazing but I’ve always been a bit scared of going to Africa Which is holding me back from booking .
Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Linda

Thank you for replying to my post and I am so pleased that you enjoyed the trip. We appear to have just a couple of different hotels to the ones that you had, ie Soussusvlei Lodge instead of Desert Homeland and Toshari Lodge instead of Etosha Safari Lodge, so that is reassuring. I have learned from previous trips to take a torch. I have already booked the Dolphin and Seal Catamaran Cruise and intend to book the Living Desert 4x4 Dune Adventure when that becomes available. I hope you enjoy any trips that you have planned for next year. Maureen

Hello cjh

Why are you worried about going to Africa? Maureen

TimH
  • (Member)
(Member)
I went in August last year, fantastic wildlife and if you want there are chances to try various animals, mainly antelope varieties at the lodges.

It was cold in the evenings, especially at Sossusvlei, so I'd suggest checking whether it will be as cold in May and take a winter coat as you eat outside in the evening at this lodge, I was cold in 4 layers. During the day it is warm and at this lodge theres a rooftop terrace above the bar to sit and relax in the sun if like us you have a free afternoon.

Tim

Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Tim for your advice regarding the temperatures at Soussusvlei, I have just checked them out and May appears to be pretty similar to August so I will make sure I have appropriate clothing. I realised it might be cold in the mornings but didn’t realise that we would eat outside in the evening. We also have a free afternoon so will look forward to sitting on the rooftop terrace.

I am very much looking forward to seeing all the wildlife.

Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

I wanted to say hello to anyone else who is going on the Namibia Tribes and Natural Wonders trip in May 2020.  The trip seemed so far away when I booked it early last year and is now only four months away.  I have read some very interesting reviews from people who travelled to Namibia in 2018 but as most of the hotels seem to have been changed would appreciate any other information from travellers in 2019.  Thank you.

Hello Maureen WH! I am also booked to go on this trip and really looking forward to it. Should I start packing now?!!!

Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hello Morty I look forward to meeting you in May. I am sure like me you have just paid for the trip so certainly time to start thinking about what we are going to pack. I have also contacted the nurse at my doctor’s surgery to discuss vaccinations. Do you live near Heathrow? Although it is only about an hour and a half’s journey for me, I have booked in at the Premier Inn the previous night so I don’t have to worry about traffic on the M25
Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
Maureen

I don't live near Heathrow - hours away, in fact! I have to come from Lowestoft so will also be travelling down the day before. I shall try to book in to the Premier Inn too so that we could perhaps meet up that evening?

Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
That would be good Morty
maireadb
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

Hello Maureen and Morty,

I too am going on this trip, and am just on the site paying for it as we speak!

I'll be travelling from Edinburgh so will see you in Doha or in Windhoek!

Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

That would be good Morty

All booked! See you in a few weeks!

Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
Premier Inn booked MaureenWH! See you in a few weeks!
Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Maireadb

Good to see that you have also booked this trip and look forward to meeting you in Doha.

I assume Morty that you have booked the Premier Inn at Terminal 5. I have booked the meal package so perhaps we could either meet for dinner or, if not, a coffee or drink either before or after

Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

Hi Maireadb

Good to see that you have also booked this trip and look forward to meeting you in Doha.

I assume Morty that you have booked the Premier Inn at Terminal 5.  I have booked the meal package so perhaps we could either meet for dinner or, if not, a coffee or drink either before or after

Hi Maireadb

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Maureen - I'm slightly worried...have I got this wrong? I've booked at the Premier Inn Terminal 4 as that is the terminal we fly from isn't it?

Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Sorry Morty I obviously had a senior moment, it is Terminal 4 we fly from and it is the Premier Inn at Terminal 4 that I have booked
Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

Sorry Morty I obviously had a senior moment, it is Terminal 4 we fly from and it is the Premier Inn at Terminal 4 that I have booked

Phew! That's great., and it makes me feel really good that I'm not the only one who has those! Yes, that would be good to meet up in the evening for a meal, though I have only booked breakfast so far. I don't know how to give you my details without everyone seeing so how about we meet in reception at, say, 5.30/5.45pm?

Maureen WH
(Member) (Topic Starter)
That’s a good idea Morty. I believe from previous experience that it is advisable to book a table for dinner so shall I reserve a table for two at 6pm?
Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Maureen WH' wrote:

That’s a good idea Morty.  I believe from previous experience that it is advisable to book a table for dinner so shall I reserve a table for two at 6pm?

Thank you, that would be great. Will soon start to count down the sleeps!

Morty
  • (Member)
(Member)
'Morty' wrote:

'Maureen WH' wrote:

That’s a good idea Morty.  I believe from previous experience that it is advisable to book a table for dinner so shall I reserve a table for two at 6pm?

Thank you, that would be great. Will soon start to count down the sleeps!

Oh well Maureen, we should be meeting up right now. How things change! Hope you are well, and hope that sometime in the future we'll meet and be able to book another holiday. I wish you all the very best.