KerrieM7
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
I am going on the Inspirational China trip on the 19th of September, 2019 and then I am taking the cruise down the Yangtze river.  I wondered if anyone else was doing this cruise at this time.  Also I was wondering if anyone else who has previously taken this cruise could tell me a little bit about it and what the dress code is.
IanWight
(Member)
'KerrieM7' wrote:

I am going on the Inspirational China trip on the 19th of September, 2019 and then I am taking the cruise down the Yangtze river.  I wondered if anyone else was doing this cruise at this time.  Also I was wondering if anyone else who has previously taken this cruise could tell me a little bit about it and what the dress code is.

Hi Kerrie,

I did this cruise with TS in October 2016. Our tour started in Shanghai & the cruise was an integral part of the tour but we travelled in the same direction as you. We used Victoria Cruise lines & I was on the "Lianna"

The boat was fine & clean & as a solo traveller I found the cabin fine. Two single beds on either side with the usual facilities. Some of the couples found it a bit of a squeeze but more than enough room for one.

No kettle in the room but you get a flask & can get that filled with hot water for tea/coffee whenever you want. They have a laundry service on board as well. Meals were in a restaurant with communal tables for the group, and, as elsewhere on the trip, dishes were served on a lazy susan.

Dress code during the day is informal. Of an evening then smart casual is more than fine. There was a captain's dinner and a couple of people produced suits & ties but most didn't.

You get an information sheet each day with details of the days activities.

There are daily stops - some included & some optional & the reclamation village is a great trip as it is about the only opportunity to see the locals in their own environment.

Weather was mostly sunny but we got rain at the 3 gorges dam but that did not dampen enthusiasm.

It is a cash free boat so everything is charged to the room. Beer was, in my notes, a lot cheaper than in the last hotel we were in.

On board they put on things during the day but most people were content to enjoy the views from the viewing decks. There was evening entertainment as well and bearing in mind this was the staff doubling up in different roles was a lot better than I thought it might be.

The crew themselves were lovely & nothing was too much trouble.

Anything more specific then please ask.

Ian

KerrieM7
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks for the information Ian. I wasn't sure what to expect from the cruise so it's nice to know that it sounds very relaxed. If everything is charged to the room is that bill able to be paid using a credit card?
IanWight
(Member)
Hi Kezza,

This is from the Victoria Cruise web site "There is no cash flow aboard Victoria Cruises. For any purchases, you may simply sign a chit, and present your room key. It will be added to your final bill, which may be settled the final night or day on board. Payment may be made in Chinese Renminbi and other major currencies (money bills must be fairly new, as the Bank of China does not accept older bills), all major credit cards, and traveler’s checks.  The ship cannot offer cash advances on credit or debit cards."

It is a relaxing few days - enjoy.

http://www.victoriacruises.com/ 

Ian

KerrieM7
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thanks Ian. I feel a bit more relaxed about it all now. This is the first cruise I've ever been on and I've heard so many different things from people about what to expect on a cruise. I just wanted to do this as a way to relax after the whirlwind tour of China before. Now I know it's going to be okay.

Thanks again,

Kerrie

IanWight
(Member)
Kerrie,

My pleasure. From my lounge window I can see the huge cruise ships departing Southampton. They contain literally thousands of passengers and my, albeit limited, experience of these suggests the vast majority are there simply for the beer.  The Yangtze cruise is an altogether different, and in my view much more pleasant, experience - have a good trip.

Ian

JemmaJuly
(Member)
'KerrieM7' wrote:

You will not regret taking this cruise. The China trip is very 'full on'. Just sit back and relax after all the travel and have a few massages!

Jennie Whalley
(Member)
Hi Kerrie

You will not be disappointed with this cruise, it is indeed a lovely relaxing way to end your busy holiday. There are usually 2 trips off the boat each day, one is included in your itinerary, and one will be optional, which you pay extra for - on your bill/card. So you can choose how much you do or how relaxing your cruise is.

You often do not get chance to dress for dinner on the main tour as it is so busy, so it is nice on the cruise to change for dinner, and certainly on the last night at the captains farewell dinner you will have chance to dress up if you wish - although smart casual is fine, I always pack 1 dress. 

Also worth noting they usually have a "cocktail of the day" to enjoy in the bar!

Enjoy your trip.

Jennie W (Tour Manager - but not on your date!)