pbro1701
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi everyone,

The trip to Nepal is less than a month away now and, with my lack of experience and it being my first trip to a country so far away, I was wondering about a few things.

I know it's not Everest, but is there any likelihood of altitude sickness?

Do we need any innoculations?

I'm packing for sensible walking days, it looks about 15 degrees in November so I was thinking walking boots, long trousers and layers, is this about right?

Do folk get changed in the evening? Even 'dressed up'?

Any replies, most welcome & any other advice from more experienced travellers most appreciated.

Thanks Pam.

P.S. Anyone flying from Manchester?

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam

I have not been to Nepal yet so can't answer all your questions but can assure you that on most of the trips I have done with JY people don't get 'dressed' up in the evening apart from making an effort for the farewell dinner. Depending on the tour and when there is enough time then people will change into smart casual clothes but this is not obligatory. Comfort is the key on most tours. Have a great time in Nepal and do write a review of your trip.

Regards

Jaya

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam,

In Nepal you will not be high enough to suffer the effects of altitude sickness.  However, if you have existing health issues which may affect you, I suggest you contact your GP before you go.  Similarly, ask at your health centre about which vaccinations are recommended for this trip - they usually take a couple of weeks to take effect so don't delay!!  Your thoughts on packing seem about right to me - I haven't done this tour but have been on enough long haul tours to have a fair idea.  Men usually change for dinner (some don't!), as do the women - some women do dress up a bit, but as Jaya says, dress for comfort not appearance!!

Have a great time,

Bob

Hils
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Pam,

I'm not sure which Nepal trip you are on - I can't find anything for November 18th. However, I have indeed been to Nepal and hope to go again next year. Do you know what height you are going to be going to? I strongly advise that you make an appointment with your local practice nurse to discuss innoculations and possibly to get a prescription for Diamox, which is for altitude sickness if you are going to be going to any significant height. I have had altitude sickness and it is not nice - you can die of it! I managed to get JY to completely change their Roof of the World trip after I had been on it last year, as most of our group did get AMS - including the Tour Manager!

I have done something like 23 trips all over the world with JY, and in total nearly 60 countries visited in my lifetime, and Nepal is still my all time favourite, so enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

Angie S
(Member)
Hi Pam. 

I'm on your trip and it had better be warmer than 15 degrees. I'm taking shorts!! The weather is currently in the mid to low 20s and I expect it will be something like that when we go???  I'm taking 3/4 lengths and trousers too I hasten to add and a light jacket for nights which I expect to be cooler. A fleece as well.... it's the usual... layers should see you right. 

I've been on a few of these tours and my feeling is that this one will be quite casual. That's what I'm going for any way.

I wouldn't have thought altitude would be an issue - we will not be that high. 

I hope I'm right about the weather - don't pay any attention to me just in case I am completely wrong!!! Maybe someone who has been in November can confirm. 

See you soon!

Angie

ksf1
  • (Member)
(Member)
I have not been to Nepal but I have experienced High altitudes and their effects in Colorado and the Andes. As Hill said above get yourself checked out medical wise. As it was explained to me "Altitude Sickness" is very serious and requires evacuation/transfer to hospital. "Altitude effects" are less serious but still require precautions. Assuming you are in reasonable health the most important thing you can do is drink lots of water, more than you normally do and JY are well experienced ion finding toilet stops for this very reason. (even if it was a bush in Uzbekistan). Obviously the feeling is a shortage of breath and sensation of heaviness and headaches which disappear when you get to a lower level. In South America, particularly Peru, the coca leaf is marvellous and is what the locals use. every hotel has an urn with coca tea ( like green tea) in the lobby and they also make sweets. Good luck and enjoy the trip
PeterG
(Member)
I did the Walking in Nepal trip in March last year and I don't t remember anyone having problems with altitude or commenting that they felt breathless.

In fact I don't think any part of the trip went much above 2000m and probably the highest we went was the morning we went to see the sunrise on the Himalayas, and most of that was done in minibuses. That was the coldest morning, but then you'd expect that at 6am on top of a hill.

Angie S
(Member)
Unless you go off and do something daring on your own I think the altitude we get to is like standing on the top of Ben Nevis (ok maybe a few feet more) and I'm not aware of altitude being a problem, it certainly wasn't when I did it years ago.

Angie

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Hi wrote:

Hi Pam

I have not been to Nepal yet so can't answer all your questions but can assure you that on most of the trips I have done with JY people don't get 'dressed' up in the evening apart from making an effort for the farewell dinner.  Depending on the tour and when there is enough time then people will change into smart casual clothes but this is not obligatory.  Comfort is the key on most tours.  Have a great time in Nepal and do write a review of your trip.

Regards

Jaya

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'BGrayThank wrote:

Hi Pam,

In Nepal you will not be high enough to suffer the effects of altitude sickness.  However, if you have existing health issues which may affect you, I suggest you contact your GP before you go.  Similarly, ask at your health centre about which vaccinations are recommended for this trip - they usually take a couple of weeks to take effect so don't delay!!  Your thoughts on packing seem about right to me - I haven't done this tour but have been on enough long haul tours to have a fair idea.  Men usually change for dinner (some don't!), as do the women - some women do dress up a bit, but as Jaya says, dress for comfort not appearance!!

Have a great time,

Bob

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'HilsHi wrote:

Hi Pam,

I'm not sure which Nepal trip you are on - I can't find anything for November 18th. However, I have indeed been to Nepal and hope to go again next year. Do you know what height you are going to be going to? I strongly advise that you make an appointment with your local practice nurse to discuss innoculations and possibly to get a prescription for Diamox, which is for altitude sickness if you are going to be going to any significant height. I have had altitude sickness and it is not nice - you can die of it! I managed to get JY to completely change their Roof of the World trip after I had been on it last year, as most of our group did get AMS - including the Tour Manager!

I have done something like 23 trips all over the world with JY, and in total nearly 60 countries visited in my lifetime, and Nepal is still my all time favourite, so enjoy!

Cheers,

Hils

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'Angie SThanks wrote:

Hi Pam. 

I'm on your trip and it had better be warmer than 15 degrees. I'm taking shorts!! The weather is currently in the mid to low 20s and I expect it will be something like that when we go???  I'm taking 3/4 lengths and trousers too I hasten to add and a light jacket for nights which I expect to be cooler. A fleece as well.... it's the usual... layers should see you right. 

I've been on a few of these tours and my feeling is that this one will be quite casual. That's what I'm going for any way.

I wouldn't have thought altitude would be an issue - we will not be that high. 

I hope I'm right about the weather - don't pay any attention to me just in case I am completely wrong!!! Maybe someone who has been in November can confirm. 

See you soon!

Angie

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'ksf1Thank wrote:

I have not been to Nepal but I have experienced High altitudes and their effects in Colorado and the Andes. As Hill said above get yourself checked out medical wise. As it was explained to me "Altitude Sickness" is very serious and requires evacuation/transfer to hospital. "Altitude effects" are less serious but still require precautions. Assuming you are in reasonable health the most important thing you can do is drink lots of water, more than you normally do and JY are well experienced ion finding toilet stops for this very reason. (even if it was a bush in Uzbekistan). Obviously the feeling is a shortage of breath and sensation of heaviness and headaches which disappear when you get to a lower level. In South America, particularly Peru, the coca leaf is marvellous and is what the locals use. every hotel has an urn with coca tea ( like green tea) in the lobby and they also make sweets. Good luck and enjoy the trip

pbro1701
(Member) (Topic Starter)
'PeterGThank wrote:

I did the Walking in Nepal trip in March last year and I don't t remember anyone having problems with altitude or commenting that they felt breathless.

In fact I don't think any part of the trip went much above 2000m and probably the highest we went was the morning we went to see the sunrise on the Himalayas, and most of that was done in minibuses. That was the coldest morning, but then you'd expect that at 6am on top of a hill.

Tes4322
(Member)
You can start to feel signs of altitude sickness as you go higher than 5000ft, usually headache and nausea. While in USA visiting the National Parks we went to heights of up to 9000ft. We were advised to drink plenty of water and rest when necessary but they usually aclimatise you and give you time to adapt before going higher. So I felt a bit breathless at 9000ft but I do get asthma so probably would be expected but other than that I was fine.