Heatherk
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

I'm considering booking a river cruise. Just wondering whether to book the full package of excursions through Just You now or wait until the trip itself to just book the ones I really want to do. Please could I have your thoughts if you've been on a river cruise recently. Did most of the people in the group book the complete package?

Many thanks

Heather

SarahS
(Member)
I did a cruise from  Budapest to Strasbourg in 2016. I was told by a JY telephone agent that unless I took the full excursion package I might not be able to book on board, and if I could, I might not be on an English speaking tour.  This was not the case on my cruise. Half of the group had pre booked the package, others booked the tours they wanted on board, or, in some cases, went off the ship, by themselves. I’m not sure which cruise you are thinking of, but do bear in mind that river cruises don’t always moor within easy walking distance of cities, and on occasion, the ship, will move on after excursion passangers have disembarked, and  they will rejoin at another location. I suggest that you ask JY for full details of the excursions offered before making your decision.
AnnF
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello, HeatherK.

I went on two river cruises last year, on the Rhine/Main/Danube in April/May and the Duoro in October. Most folk in the group on both cruises booked the full package beforehand but one or two who perhaps had health issues and weren't sure waited until onboard and booked individual excursions directly with the Reception. I had myself wondered beforehand whether to pick and choose but was glad in the end that I didn't and went for the whole package. An advantage of booking beforehand through JY is that it will have been paid for by the time you board the ship so you wouldn't need to factor quite so many euros into your spending money.

If you do book a river cruise, I can certainly recommend the ones which go with Croisi Europ - lovely ships, excellent food and good itineraries.

Ann

janib
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hello Heather,

I have booked the full package for the Douro River cruise in July also had to spend extra to get a room upstairs as downstairs was booked for the week I wanted.

Although an 8 day holiday, I have been told that the 8th day is an early start for the airport 😠 

Jan

Angel-49
(Member)
Hi, Heather and welcome to the forum

I am booked to go on the Venetian River Cruise 10th July flying from Gatwick. I booked the night before at the Premier Inn North due to early flight and living in Norfolk. I have booked all excursions as I want to see as much as possible!  I have also upgraded to top deck. I have Cruised before but not river cruising. It will be my first J.U. holiday and looking forward to meeting new friends. 

Regards

Angel