Jenny Penny
(Member) (Topic Starter)
JHi 

I considering the Kenyan safari for my first single holiday.  Is there anyone out there booked already. 

Looking forward to hearing from your u

Jenny

PennyA
(Member)
'Jenny Penny' wrote:

JHi 

I considering the Kenyan safari for my first single holiday.  Is there anyone out there booked already. 

Looking forward to hearing from your u

Jenny

Hi there.

I went on last Septembers trip and it was the trip of a lifetime. It was so emotional, every day got better and more wondrous. At Niarobi you will sort  into groups of 6. You will stay in those groups in the jeeps during the day. Everyone will get very close sharing the experiences of the day.

The accommodation is all lovely and the food is great and plentiful.

Any question please feel free to PM me.

PaulaH
(Member)
Hi Jenny.

I did the Kenyan safari as my first trip in Nov 2016, it was something I'd always wanted to do and it was an absolutely amazing holiday, I couldn't recommended it enough.

Go for it, you definitely won't regret it.

Paula

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jenny

I too did this trip last September and it was amazing. I usually never yearn to go back to the same place as there are so many places to see but, given a chance, I would not hesitate to do this trip again. Absolutely fabulous. Go for it.

Regards

Jaya

boltonlass
(Member)
Hi Jenny,

I am doing the 9 day Kenya trip in November this year. I have concerns about mosquitos & food safety etc as I expect others have, but I am going for it. I've never done a JY holiday either so it will be my first.It's great to read the reassuring words from others about the trip being fantastic.

Footwear: are we ok with closed sandals or should we take more secure footwear such as walking boots for Kenya? Do we get suggested clothing list from JY before we go? Suitcase verus rucksack?

Jill

PaulaH
(Member)
Jill, I did this as my first trip - you definitely won't regret it.

With regards to mosquitos - as long as you use something deet based you'll be fine. I normally get bitten wherever I go but they only got me once and that was due to me missing a spot with the deet.

There was no issue with food - all meals are in the lodges, there was plenty of choice and it was all freshly cooked. Bottled water is supplied everywhere as well.

You'll be fine with sandals, the majority of your time is either in the jeep or lodges. I took walking boots but the never came out of my bag, I mainly wore walking sandals or flip flops.

Clothing - lightweight. Things you can layer. Can be chilly early in the morning when going out on drives and cooler in the evenings. I mainly wore Cropped trousers & t-shirts. If you still go to the same lodges, two of them have pools, so remember a swimsuit, there's time to relax by the pool between drives.

They will suggest you take a soft case \ holdall rather than solid suitcase - you travel between lodges in the jeeps so there is not much space and its easier for them to load with soft bags.

Hope that answers some of your questions but it you want to know anything else I'll help as much as I can.

This trip was so much more than i had expected and gave me the courage to book again.

Paula

Jaya
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Jill

I agree with everything Paula has said. You will need closed shoes if you get a chance to do the balloon flight over Masai Mara, but apart from that Sandals are fine. When we did the nature walk at Mountain Lodge, Nyeri we were kitted out with wellies and raincoats. Food was delicious - in lodges and other places where we had a couple of lunches. I personally did not use any mosquito repellent and to be honest can't remember if I saw any mosquitos, but I went in September. I think it rains in November so there may be mosquitos around. You are going to love this holiday.

Best wishes

Jaya