chrisj
  • (Member) (Topic Starter)
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi

Im off on Azores trip in September and cannot decide whether to do Whale Watching trip.  Is there anyone out there who has done the optional excursion on this trip.  I have done whale watching before and not seen much as obviously nature does not guarantee sightings.  If anyone has been on the excursion could you indicate whether the boat was a proper whale watching boat and not just the heavy duty dinghy form of boat and also how long the trip was and whether or not you did see much wildlife.

Many thanks

Chris

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Chris,

I hope to do this trip next year, so please do write a review on your return.  It's a new tour this year so probably few who use the forum have done it yet.  There was a review a couple of months ago, but it didn't mention the whale watching trip.  This would be one of the main reasons I would do this trip so it's a definite for me!  I gather the Azores are a prime place to see whales so fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Bob

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi again Chris,

I read a National Geographic article this morning on the world's top ten whale watching sites - and the Azores is on the list!

Here's the link (hope it works):

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/whale-and-dolphin-viewings/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fbt20170807travel-brilliantinvestionstest&utm_campaign=Content&sf104231274=1 

Best wishes,

Bob

chrisj
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Thank you Bob for taking the time to find the geographic information for me.

I will certainly look at it and make a decision about the trip.  I do normally do all the optional excursions but just wasn't sure about this one.

Happy travelling and thank you again

Chris

SylviaJ
(Member)
Hi Chris

I visited the Azores last September with a different company. Our included whale watching tour was on a proper boat rather than the zodiac. However, the sea was rough, the speed the boat took to get to the whales was fast and quite a few were ill, including a lady who was flung around the boat and possibly broke her nose. Added to that, we didn't really see many whales compared to what I have since seen in Iceland. The trip was probably a couple of hours and we were back on land for lunch. I was one of the unfortunate ill people and it spoilt the rest of the day for me. If I had paid for it and got this result, I would have been very disappointed. So, whether you think it's worth it, only you can decide.

Regards

Sylvia

BGray
  • (Member)
(Member)
Hi Sylvia thanks for the info, I will pack the sea bands then so!

Best wishes,

Bob

chrisj
(Member) (Topic Starter)
Hi Sylvia

Thanks for your reply and the info.  Still deciding!!  National Geographic certainly tells me I should do it but I sailed out into the freezing cold ocean in Iceland and nearly froze to death and only saw two teenage size whales.  So am hoping that Azores whale watching experience may be more fruitful although am certainly aware of no guarantee.

As Bob says maybe wristbands and double dose of sea sickness tablets!! 🙂 🙂

Thanks again

Chris